That Classic SLR Design - It Aint Broken Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
xdivider said:
Its in the pentax lens roadmap for 06/07, a compact lens in the 20-30mms. One of the charts referred to it as a pancake so im really hoping. a 40mm/2.8 35mm equivalent would be really nice as a permanent lens cap. :D :cool:

I have the older manual focus SMC-M 40/2.8 pancake. The size is really nice, and I like the field of view of the 40mm very much. Makes a wonderful lens to shoot in hyperfocal mode.

PENTAX MZ-7 (brand new-100%)

body bought in June 2005-
condition : mint 11 month local SG warranty
with receipt and full box, manual - color : champage gold
sharp, clear and smooth focusing
1 original pentax straps, manual book, box and receipt,
tested on 1 color slide film -results : 100%
original price : $ 400.00
selling 1 body only (100%) : $ 370.00
1 Tamron lens macro 28mm-80 mm(95%) only : $130.00

1 new body + 1 tamron zoom len = $ 520.00
(with all the above accessories)

owner : Jung
98 255 742.

hi guys,

do you have any zoom lens or wide angle len for my new pentax mz- 7 camera?

tq

jung

98 255 742

pentax fan.

As for the ME-F, it's highly debatable. While technically it's a special ME body with a special AF lens, and it will only do autofocus with that lens, it does represent the market's first autofocus solution.

Which lens is that? All I remember is a lens with a triangulation (as in compact cameras) AF system, independent of the camera electronics. I've seen the same design e.g. from Canon before the ME-F came out.

But no doubt Pentax made some very fine SLRs :). I almost ended up buying into the system, if the ME super just would have had a depth of field preview...

LittleWolf said:
Which lens is that? All I remember is a lens with a triangulation (as in compact cameras) AF system, independent of the camera electronics. I've seen the same design e.g. from Canon before the ME-F came out.

But no doubt Pentax made some very fine SLRs :). I almost ended up buying into the system, if the ME super just would have had a depth of field preview...

Pentax AF 35-70 f/2.8 auto-Zoom in 1981 ..... it was the world's first autofocus zoom lens using 4 x AA batteries on the lens itself. The Autofocus was in the lens itself.

The Zuiko Version came out on 1983/1984, the canon version was in 1985.

The first autofocus body, was however, the Minolta 7000. Canon?.... hmmmm ..... 1st electronic body in 1983/1984 (T-50)?

blurblock said:
Pentax AF 35-70 f/2.8 auto-Zoom in 1981 ..... it was the world's first autofocus zoom lens using 4 x AA batteries on the lens itself. The Autofocus was in the lens itself.

Canon's FD 35-70 autofocus zoom is listed in a 1981 brochure (http://www.canonfd.com/1981objektivedeutsch/1981objektivedeutsch.pdf). The resemblance to Pentax' autofocus zoom is striking :).

Canon?.... hmmmm ..... 1st electronic body in 1983/1984 (T-50)?

(AFAIK) First microprocessor-controlled SLR in 1976 (AE-1). Analog electronic SLRs were already quite common back then.

LittleWolf said:
Canon's FD 35-70 autofocus zoom is listed in a 1981 brochure (http://www.canonfd.com/1981objektivedeutsch/1981objektivedeutsch.pdf). The resemblance to Pentax' autofocus zoom is striking :).

(AFAIK) First microprocessor-controlled SLR in 1976 (AE-1). Analog electronic SLRs were already quite common back then.

aiyah ..... first electronic SLR means everything eletronic lah ..... like built-in integral winder to handle loading, remote control capability ready, automatic film advancing etc etc lor :D.

Actually, all three autofocus zoom looks like it is from the same manufacturer :D LOL..... except for the coating ...... Canon has the SSC coating

blurblock said:
aiyah ..... first electronic SLR means everything eletronic lah ..... like built-in integral winder to handle loading, remote control capability ready, automatic film advancing etc etc lor :D.

Hmmm... Konica FS-1, ca. 1980? :)

LittleWolf said:

As blurblock mentioned, that 35-70/2.8 lens.

Problem with Pentax equipment is that there's *always* something missing, somewhere. Excellent optics, but lacking in features like anti-shake. Wonderful cameras, but none of them combines every feature Pentax has in a single SLR body. A decent line of flashguns, but if you want the power of the AF500FTZ, you cannot have the P-TTL convenience (wireless TTL and high-speed sync, for example) of AF360FGZ...

The ME Super's design and feature list is probably largely influenced by the market of its time. It was the boom of the point-and-shoot compacts. 2 cameras were marketed almost at the same time - the MX for the professional market and the ME for the autoexposure crowd. The MX has got no autoexposure but has depth-of-field preview, and the ME has got no manual exposure. The ME Super was made to supercede the ME, and it includes a way to select shutter speed (manual exposure) by way of push buttons, probably to keep the camera size the same. Perhaps you should have looked into the MX, or the later LX, instead of the ME Super then.

kelvinang said:
Nice combination. If you enjoy it, check out the Pentax MX and the 50/1.4 :) Wow, we're going back in time...

Yep, I have a MX with a 50/1.7, and its a really fun (and extremely lightweight) combination. Even though i'm using my *istDS primarily now, i'll always bring along my MX along as a backup camera, just in case.

blurblock said:

The first autofocus body, was however, the Minolta 7000. Canon?.... hmmmm ..... 1st electronic body in 1983/1984 (T-50)?

Check your facts please. 1st canon electronic body is the AE1 in 1976 and canon first autofocus body is the T80 in 1985. Haha you also have today huh? :bsmilie: No hard feeling ok, just like you say must not give uncheck information.;)

blurblock said:

Oh oh oh man I having fun ;) The canon version of the 35-70 F4 AF was marketed in May 1981 not 1985. :D :D Want to how much it was selling? 89 500 yen at that time.

singscott said:
Oh oh oh man I having fun ;) The canon version of the 35-70 F4 AF was marketed in May 1981 not 1985. :D :D Want to how much it was selling? 89 500 yen at that time.

oh :D ... .that is where I went wrong. Thank you for pointing it out :D.

singscott said:
Oh oh oh man I having fun ;)

Hehe, everyone ph34r the uber-camera geek. Let ye be warned not to speaketh the untruth, for the singscott shalt smite thee with his words of infinite wisdom. :) Just teasin'.. ;)

Anyway, i've enjoying this thread thus far, brings life into our otherwide dead forum. :)

kelvinang said:
Perhaps you should have looked into the MX, or the later LX, instead of the ME Super then.

Given my budget then, no way ;). The only Pentax alternative would have been the K1000 (I think also without DOF preview), and then I might just as well have gotten one of the cheaper, ubiquitos M42 mount cameras (which ironically all have DOF preview...). I ended up with a Minolta XG-M (at exactly the same price as the ME super), which is in some aspects less advanced, but still going strong after 20+ years of not always gentle handling.

What from my point of view hurt Pentax at that time is that many of their entry-level models had only automatic exposure, which disqualified them for most amateurs - and snapshooters would buy compact cameras.

What from my point of view hurt Pentax at that time is that many of their entry-level models had only automatic exposure, which disqualified them for most amateurs - and snapshooters would buy compact cameras.

me super needs bty to work
but can do manual exposure
there is a "M" on command dial.
I think ......you adjust shutter speed and f stop on lens until
the flashing LED coincide with still LED.

pentax_me_dial.jpg

ricohflex said:
me super needs bty to work
but can do manual exposure
there is a "M" on command dial.
I think ......you adjust shutter speed and f stop on lens until
the flashing LED coincide with still LED.

I know; the reason I didn't take it was no DOF preview, although I really liked just about everything else. I was more referring to the MV, MG, ME and what all their names were. The elimination of manual operations in favor of everything-automatic cameras was considered by many a major step backwards. But the expectations may be culturally different: I recently learned that some manufacturers produced several all-automatic SLRs that were never marketed in Europe, presumably because it was clear they would not sell well there.

LittleWolf said:

Yeah, and this is probably considered the beginning of the downfall of the mighty Pentax empire :) I don't know much about their point-and-shoot compact sales, but I read that they were actually quite successful. So in a way, I suppose they neglected their 35mm SLRs, and concentrated on their medium format cameras and point-and-shoot compacts instead. Perhaps 35mm SLRs were considered an in-between market...

I noted that while in the 80s and 90s, Pentax 35mm SLRs seem to be slow-growing, their medium format seems to continue to sell and is progress fast. In fact, the Pentax 645 underwent 2 model upgrades in the last 20 years, and in 1997 even made it AF (it claims to be the first AF medium format SLR). The age-old Pentax 6x7 got updated to P67II in 1998, and included autoexposure with AE prism. Considering the overall slow moving medium format market, I thought that's quite an achievement. I don't shoot medium format (yet) and haven't researched much into it, so I don't know how this growth compares to other brands. Maybe those more familiar can share with us.

Seems now Pentax is looking again at 35mm SLRs, with the release of the Limited series lenses and digital bodies. We shall see if there's more to come...

I just got hold of my Pentax Electro Spotmatic from E-Bay. Beautiful camera, original leather case, 3 Pentax lenses+hoods, period tripod, plus all original manuals & receipt, all for US$110+shipping. Have gone through two rolls of film so far and I am certainly charmed by the camera. Let's hope more people will come to appreciate shooting with these lovely cameras.
PICT0158_copy.jpg

PICT0157_copy.jpg

I like my pentax too. but no budget to get a fully manual one, besides dont really know how to adjust the settings, so need an AF one. :p

Honestly I shoot mainly in Aperture Priority, plus occassional exposure compensation. Very seldom do I use full manual. The metering is good enough for most situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.