thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great info, thanks :)

Thanks...

Just wonder, is there other means to travel to city area?

I've check the airport website, it stated there is a rail / MRT line link to the airport? But the website seems not clear, as it said the expected complete date is October 2008, but not mentioned whether it has completed..

No, the railway isnt completed yet. ;)

I enjoyed my trip to Bangkok. There are so many photo opportunities; from temple to river to market scenes. I would normally shoot in the morning, get 2 hr massage in the afternoon and have seafood dinner at Chinatown. Check out Lonely Planet for suggestions.

After a bad experience with a tuk-tuk driver, I walked and took the river taxis and MRT. Google for ‘Bangkok scam’ and you will learn to be wary of well dressed men who offer unsolicited sight seeing advice. They are usually in cahoots with the tuk-tuk drivers to get you to 'chop carrot' shops.

can i use tis thread as don wanna waste bandwith.. haha.. as i will be travelling to bangkok at 1607.. and wish to watch the famous "tiger show" :bsmilie:, any advice? there will be 2 lady wif mi also.. so hopefully some where safe? any advice?

Try Silom soi 4.

Perhaps a google map will help. It's called the Patpong area, fyi, and a google map might help out. That area is near Robinson Silom. :)

here's my rough itinerary for my sept trip. I am going 6D5N. Not my first time but this time round less shopping and more sight seeing + photography for me.

Places i am going:
Wat pho and Grand palace in the mid afternoon, then across to wat arun (read that sunset time is the best time for wat arun)
Ayutthaya (1 day trip)
Chinatown & Khao san (1 morning + afternoon)
Pattaya (1 day trip, pending)

:)

Your choices are good.

If you can spare some more cash, go to Shangri-la in Bangkok to book the Ayutthaya tour. They will take you up north by land and down south by Chao Pyra River.

I will suggest stay 1 night at Pattaya as the trip will take 3 hours each way. Spend your last night in Bangkok after you come back from there.

Try Silom soi 4.

Perhaps a google map will help. It's called the Patpong area, fyi, and a google map might help out. That area is near Robinson Silom. :)

hi VyNnNnNnN, any rough guide i will be paying? thx lot

I'm not sure in Singapore.. But i guess you can easily pick some tour guide book in bookstores in Bkk.

Your choices are good.

If you can spare some more cash, go to Shangri-la in Bangkok to book the Ayutthaya tour. They will take you up north by land and down south by Chao Pyra River.

I will suggest stay 1 night at Pattaya as the trip will take 3 hours each way. Spend your last night in Bangkok after you come back from there.

sinned79 aka localhost here. :)

Is there anything to see during the Ayutthaya tour? Cos i planned to take early morning train from Hualompong then come back either by train or coach.

haha i already booked my hotel. anyway i stayed at sukhumvit area... getting to pattaya is slightly nearer. not staying in pattaya... cos nothing much to do there (unless night life :devil: )... haha i going there mainly to try out the go karts and probably snap some pictures of the beach. Will go there in there morning and go back BKK in the evening. :)

hedgehog05,

Not sure if the "tigershow" is worthwhile to visit....... how much? not sure as the only time I went, I got in free due to my mate's connection. Patpong has kind of mellowed down lately. Nearest skytrain station is Sala Daeng.

Sinned79,

Ayuthaya, is the old capital and also a World Heritage Site. So there are quite a number of ruins around. If you google ayuthaya you might get a better picture of what it has to offer. Might need some kind of transport there as it is kind of not within walking distance.... btw, you could also visit thai-blogs.com, they do have links to various site for you to plan your holiday in the land of smiles. The hotel lobby where you'll be staying might be another option to check on tours available.

If you plan to go by train, make sure they have started work, if I am not mistaken they are currently on strike.

Slightly off track is Bang Pa In, a "Summer Palace" (correct me) for the King of Thailand, a few buildings with different type of architecture, Chinese, Thai and Western. As it is a royal palace, dress appropriately.

Last edited:
hedgehog05,

Sinned79,

Ayuthaya, is the old capital and also a World Heritage Site. So there are quite a number of ruins around. If you google ayuthaya you might get a better picture of what it has to offer. Might need some kind of transport there as it is kind of not within walking distance.... btw, you could also visit thai-blogs.com, they do have links to various site for you to plan your holiday in the land of smiles. The hotel lobby where you'll be staying might be another option to check on tours available.

If you plan to go by train, make sure they have started work, if I am not mistaken they are currently on strike.

thanks, i know about Ayutthaya, only not sure what the river tour to Ayutthaya nice or not haha. anyway i think i will rent a bicycle to travel ard Ayutthaya. :)

thanks, i know about Ayutthaya, only not sure what the river tour to Ayutthaya nice or not haha. anyway i think i will rent a bicycle to travel ard Ayutthaya. :)

Oh..... OK :embrass:

Not sure about the boat ride as I went up and down by bus. The last time I went to Bangkok, did ask my better half if she was interested in doing that tour but seems that she doesn't want to loose precious time for shopping.....

Oh..... OK :embrass:

Not sure about the boat ride as I went up and down by bus. The last time I went to Bangkok, did ask my better half if she was interested in doing that tour but seems that she doesn't want to loose precious time for shopping.....

haha same! i was with my ex then... we went BKK twice but shes not into such places so i had to give it a miss. So this sept i am not going to miss it! Since i going myself. :)

i taking train from hualompong though... then come back either by train or coach. :)

Hi There,

Not sure if this reaches you too late. Actually most of the places mentioned are quite well trodden already (aka too much tourists) Why don't you try Koh Kret? It is an island right smack in the middle of the Chao Phraya River filled with Burmese culture. Don't worry it is still in Bangkok in the Nonthaburi area. And remember to eat and take pictures of the traditional thai sweets and biscuits from a famous wedding baker on the island. I was there about 8 years ago when it is still not very well known. Hope that it is still relatively quiet and peaceful. Check out this 2 webbies for more details.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Ko_Kret

http://www.discoverythailand.com/bangkok_koh_kret.asp

Hi There,

Not sure if this reaches you too late. Actually most of the places mentioned are quite well trodden already (aka too much tourists) Why don't you try Koh Kret? It is an island right smack in the middle of the Chao Phraya River filled with Burmese culture. Don't worry it is still in Bangkok in the Nonthaburi area. And remember to eat and take pictures of the traditional thai sweets and biscuits from a famous wedding baker on the island. I was there about 8 years ago when it is still not very well known. Hope that it is still relatively quiet and peaceful. Check out this 2 webbies for more details.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Ko_Kret

http://www.discoverythailand.com/bangkok_koh_kret.asp

thanks! but the boat service only operates on weekends.... think i can only give this place a miss cos i only be there on mon-sat... i will bookmark this place and when i go back bkk will check it out. :)

haha same! i was with my ex then... we went BKK twice but shes not into such places so i had to give it a miss. So this sept i am not going to miss it! Since i going myself. :)

i taking train from hualompong though... then come back either by train or coach. :)

The only time I took the train in thailand was way back in 1986 for my school rugby trip, it was from penang to bangkok and we had a blast.

btw, three times annually they will take out their steam train for the Krungthep -Ayuthaya - Krungthep trip.... 26 March, 23 October and 5 December. Check this out..... http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2008/03/26/a-trip-on-a-steam-train-in-thailand?blog=5

Last edited:
The only time I took the train in bangkok was way back in 1986 for my school rugby trip, it was from penang to bangkok and we had a blast.

btw, three times annually they will take out their steam train for the Krungthep -Ayuthaya - Krungthep trip.... 26 March, 23 October and 5 December. Check this out..... http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2008/03/26/a-trip-on-a-steam-train-in-thailand?blog=5

haha i am not going in oct... but i know of this event. will try make it next time. Maybe i can try next year march if time permits :)

i had never took train before in bkk haha...

thanks! but the boat service only operates on weekends.... think i can only give this place a miss cos i only be there on mon-sat... i will bookmark this place and when i go back bkk will check it out.

Oh actually if you are venturing there during the weekdays it might actually be better to go to the pier at Pak Kret do this:

Sightseeing boats that do a loop of the island (see itinerary below) leave the pier every single hour from 9AM to 5PM, costing 50 baht/person. There is also the possibility of renting a boat at the price of 500-4,000 Baht depending on the distance and the size of the boat. It will take around 1 hour and a half for the whole trip. For more information, please contact Wat Poramaiyikawat Pier at 0 2584 5012.
From wikitravel.

You can actually talk to them to drop you off certain points on the islands and pick you up on the other side so that you do not need to turn around. Alternatively, you can go to Pak Kret and just cross over using the normal ferry boats. Good thing about going there on week days -> Less people -> Better photo opportunities ;) (In my opinion)

The only time I took the train in thailand was way back in 1986 for my school rugby trip, it was from penang to bangkok and we had a blast.

I went to Ayuthaya by train from Bangkok in 2006. It was very good experience. If you do not mind lower down the comfortable life style and do not mind the wait of train (their train normally not punctual), you will find a lot of photo opportunities for taking Thai people in taking or waiting trains. For Ayuthaya, I hired a tuk-tuk for 5 hrs with 600b. The driver brought us all attractions. However, I suggest to do more homeworks to plan it better. I could not have too much luxury time for enjoying photo taking during the trip because they had too many places worth for photos.

hedgehog05,

Not sure if the "tigershow" is worthwhile to visit....... how much? not sure as the only time I went, I got in free due to my mate's connection. Patpong has kind of mellowed down lately. Nearest skytrain station is Sala Daeng.

Sinned79,

Slightly off track is Bang Pa In, a "Summer Palace" (correct me) for the King of Thailand, a few buildings with different type of architecture, Chinese, Thai and Western. As it is a royal palace, dress appropriately.

Yes, Bang Pa In is a summer palace for the Kingdom during the Ayutthaya period (14th to 18th century) and from King Rama III onwards. It also hold one of the sad love story there when one of the Consort was drowned.

My personal opinion? Can stay one night in Ayutthaya to take lighted up Wats as the sun sets. The place amazes me as there are a Buddha head wrapp in a tree and witness the destruction that Myanmar Army did when they invaded 300 years ago. The capital of 300 years was downed within a matter of 3 days, along with looting and burning.

Me and my friends are planning to go to Phi Phi..any advise/ tips on how to go there. It's where The Beach movie was shot , my friend told me?

Status
Not open for further replies.