Tfcd

Status
Not open for further replies.
vince123123 said:
So far we have US and German - both have specific legislation for this and which is absent in Singapore.

I don't think Singapore follows either of these jurisdictions - already to get Singapore to follow UK cases is hard enough as it is. But anyway, if one feels its necesary, go ahead and get it.

LOL hmmm I dunno, I've always had this impression that Singapore is decades behind Europe and the US. What we sell to the press for $50/photo is worth like US$1000 per photo in the US?

I am really curious as to Singapore's law concerning this. I'm only getting model release forms because my photo-journ instructor said we have to obtain for every recognizable face in our street photos that will be published. (well he is some award winning international photojournalist i think)

In reality, is there any law in Singapore regarding this? can someone verify? any free lawyers? :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:
unseen said:
LOL hmmm I dunno, I've always had this impression that Singapore is decades behind Europe and the US. What we sell to the press for $50/photo is worth like US$1000 per photo in the US?

I am really curious as to Singapore's law concerning this. I'm only getting model release forms because my photo-journ instructor said we have to obtain for every recognizable face in our street photos that will be published. (well he is some award winning international photojournalist i think)

In reality, is there any law in Singapore regarding this? can someone verify? any free lawyers? :bsmilie:

think can try asking bluwhale :bsmilie:

zhang3feng said:
:bsmilie:

think can try asking bluwhale :bsmilie:

As to legal aspect, a proper form that is valid can be obtained from a lawyer for abt $100-$300.

Free legal counsel is almost impossible in Singapore as most of the free counsel is tailored to a specific requirement.

But if bluwhale is willing, then free is good.

There are many many samples of such model release forms around for free.
i want to know if there exists a need for such a form in Singapore.
Bluwhale is schooled in American law, may not know the intricacies of Singapore Law..

The only law my photojourn instructor pointed me to is one where we can shoot anything anywhere as long as it's in public (as long as there is not a no photography sign around), not on private property. we can shoot anyone anything as long as the photos are not "bad" in any way.
He's not sure about model release forms being needed here in Singapore.
In fact, I haven't encountered SPH going around asking for Model Release forms when they are the ones who need it most.
Any SPH photojourn wanna clarify this?

You don't need model release for news publication. Same here, same in America.

You need model release if you are shooting for commercial purpose (eg for ad, for fashion mag, etc).

Basically, the distinction is that one is news for public consumption (and to get a model release for every pix would compromise the ability of the paper to report the news in a timely fashion), whereas the other is a commercial venture for which the model is entitled to some payment, thus the model release is to state that you have paid the model for the rights to use the pix, and thus she has no further claims against you.

Thus going by the above logic, if one day SPH decides to use one of its news photos for ad purposes, they would also have to secure a model release. Whereas if they reuse a file picture for another news story, they would not.

As a practical matter, you only need to get a model release if the person in the pix is recognisable. So if you are shooting somebody's back, shadow, leg, etc. you don't need a model release to sell the pix unless the back, shadow, leg, etc. is so distinctive.

Status
Not open for further replies.