[terenceleezy] Nikon Z7

terenceleezy

Jun 19, 2011
Singapore
www.terenceleezy.com
Hi everyone,

Recently I got a copy of the Nikon Z7 from clubsnap and have been using it for a couple days now. Used it for a shoot for a good friend of mine, for local landscapes whenever the weather allowed and also got a pass to chingay last night.

This was from a couple days ago of Ghim Moh area from Holland Village with Z7 and 24-70mm f4S.
46169066965_be02d5f130_b.jpg

The Nikon Z7 coupled with the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S worked extremely well for a day to day camera so far. Been looking for a lighter setup than my D850 setup that I used to carry day to day. Will be travelling with it to Nepal in the next couple weeks and will edit and update this thread whenever I have a chance.

Last night was at chingay and was trying Z7 with the FTZ adaptor with my 85mm 1.4 lens. Will post some images once I get a chance to upload them to my desktop. On the battery life side, basically ended up using one battery charge for the entire night.

Has anyone been using the Z7? What are your thoughts about it?

Last edited:
After using the camera for 3 weeks in Nepal, here's some of my thoughts of the Z7

+native lens focus fast
+battery life was definitely shorter than my d850 but way better than I thought I basically stayed within 1 charge everyday
+USB-C charging major plus for my trek as I couldn’t charge at alot of places along the way
+controls are very similar with d850, couple things were moved but pretty easy to pick up
+way lighter camera body setup and felt quite sturdy not sure how wel it will hold up to the beating I put my d850 through but so far so good
+held up well in -20C didn’t have much issues with it
+the IBIS was great kept it on most of the time and felt i could hold it stable with slower shutter speed in the insane cold

-FTZ adaptor seems to focus slightly slower with new lens coming up shouldn’t be a problem to switch to all native
-I had a FTZ adaptor on most of the time with an acra swiss plate and I also had an L plate on the camera. Eventually had to move the L plate onto the FTZ adaptor otherwise it gets stuck and I couldn’t mount
-electronic viewfinder I find it a little hard to use with polarizer

TL;DR version: Z7 is light and I carry it in my backpack everyday now with the 24-70 f4 lens. Overall pretty happy with the camera and if you are familiar with Nikon controls switching over won’t be tough. I will switch over completely when the new 2.8 native lens are released.

Will post some photos of the trip once I get a chance to transfer them to my laptop and process them.

47305970382_8cbd9d2dec_b.jpg

Nikon Z7 with FTZ and 24-70mm handheld @ 70mm | 1/400s | f11 | iso200