Temple of the Emerald Buddha

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurialzzz

Jan 2, 2009
wat_phra_keaw.jpg

Wat Phra Keaw (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), Bangkok.

Camera: Nikon D40
Exposure: 1/320s
Aperture: F/9
Focal Length: 26mm

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on the composition and technique; Newbie here. I did not do any other post-processing other than cropping the picture. Of course all other C&C also welcomed.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want to show how majestic the temple is through the picture. The golden roof gleaming brightly under the sun and the blue sky.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I took this picture because I was in awe while touring the temple. The sun literally lit up the entire temple with the golden roofs gleaming so brightly everywhere. I went trigger happy and started snapping pictures around the temple while trying out different settings on my camera. I chose this for C&C because I felt that this is a good picture to depict the temple.

Composition - makes me wonder how does the whole temple look like? Want to see more of the bottom... and the pillar/dome in the front just feels cut off. I would have gone 'low' for shooting; and use your wide angle to distort the corner that it really becomes a triangle and stands higher up. Also the corner is quite centric - either go for the 'golden ratio' or rule of thirds.

Retouch - play a bit with the sky. Pull down the brightness of the blue channel. Try a vignette - if the gold is what you want to show

The sky, the temple and the color all look flat. From the image you can't see that the whole temple is lit up, cuz the sky is even brighter, and I think you cropped it too much, you can't see the temple's majestic awesome-ness.

I reckon use a really wide angle and get closer, to exaggerate the perspective. I think this will add depth to the image. Even to a point of Fisheye wide.
Use a CPL to bring out the the temple and reduce the sky's prominence.

Keep shooting and don't forget to have FUN.

i got a feeling u go lower got people in the shot...hence u crop off?

anyway...such shots require u to go lower, use a wide angle - 18mm-24...or even lower if u have the lens

this shot could have been an epic...if the lower parts were not cut off.

thank you all for the feedback.

wildsoyabean is right, if i go lower to take the picture, there will be people in it. i will try to work on my angles and have fun at the same time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.