Technique to quickly change Digital SLR Camera lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried that, but the two lens with 77mm thread drop.:angry: lucky is on my bed. But it works well for smaller lens

heng ah...u tried on 24-70 and 70-200 ah? :bsmilie:

i change mine faster than his. 24-70 to 70-200 and vice versa

#1 prepare lens you want to change (remove front and rear caps)
#2 loosen the current lens on the body BUT do not remove it
#3 hold new lens with right hand
#4 with left hand, remove the existing lens and with one swift movement, attach on the new lens (takes less than 1s for me)

and your camera is slinging on your shoulder all this while.

I was shock to watch this video. Its totally craps! I heard the sound when he did the mounting, oh no... abrasions and more abrasions...

First of all, you must have a palm as big as the ang mo. Secondly, holding left side of the camera is so strain and dangerous. You'll strain your hand for small body cos of the constraint space and for bigger body, the weight will added more stress. Thirdly, handle 2 lens with one hand, try switching Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (filter size 82mm) with 50mm f1.8. Lastly isn't the swinging action will introduce more dust into the body?

When switching lens, do it in your bag if possible, for some situation use your body to block the wind, and always uncapped the rear lens cap first then identify the indicator, plan a space where to place the "coming-off" lens, face body downwards while switching. Above all, always plan what lens that you are going to use to minimise interchanging lens. Example, prefix your long zoom lens when packing for zoo or bird park shooting or recently I went for my company's estate to take architecture shooting, I prefix an wide angle lens.

Last edited:
I can also change mine faster. On events, my lenses are without both caps. I use the R-strap so my camera is upside down. I have a lens pouch on the right of my waist.

I pull out my intended lens with my left hand. My right releases the lens catch, twists and removes the lens, and immediately puts the lens back into the pouch, all while my left hand attaches the new lens.

Thirdly, handle 2 lens with one hand, try switching Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (filter size 82mm) with 50mm f1.8.

i just tried.... couldn't resist trying;)...lol
didn't drop them, but i think it is too risky and not good for your heart.

I was shock to watch this video. Its totally craps! I heard the sound when he did the mounting, oh no... abrasions and more abrasions...

First of all, you must have a palm as big as the ang mo. Secondly, holding left side of the camera is so strain and dangerous. You'll strain your hand for small body cos of the constraint space and for bigger body, the weight will added more stress. Thirdly, handle 2 lens with one hand, try switching Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (filter size 82mm) with 50mm f1.8. Lastly isn't the swinging action will introduce more dust into the body?

When switching lens, do it in your bag if possible, for some situation use your body to block the wind, and always uncapped the rear lens cap first then identify the indicator, plan a space where to place the "coming-off" lens, face body downwards while switching. Above all, always plan what lens that you are going to use to minimise interchanging lens. Example, prefix your long zoom lens when packing for zoo or bird park shooting or recently I went for my company's estate to take architecture shooting, I prefix an wide angle lens.
when twisting to mount ur lens, u're already causing abrasion..don't worry, the metal mounts are made to last. my camera is 4yr old with constant changing of lenses, and i've never encountered problems with the mount or contacts

For people with big heavy lenses, here is another way to change lenses quickly.

[vid]9IWJR3cJNhg[/vid]

both useful... i have been using the Ang Mo way (with camera hanged with strap on my neck) for my 900grams macro and 500grams wide angle... only trouble is macro kinda long that might hit inner side of my elbow... yet i never dropped any lens till now...

would definitely learn the 2 hands way when i got bigger lens...

thanks for sharing...

The Ang Mo way needs a big hand and mine is not so I prefer to use the Asian way...

woa. .. this is better than the ang mo way ... I'm always a bit scare to use the angmo way coz it might slip.

i had the camera strap ard my neck,

using left hand, hold lens2 with rear cap unscrewed but still covered, press and unlock lens1 from camera body, remove with right hand.

transfer lens1 from right to left hand, now left hand will hold 2 lenses in parallel.
transfer rear cap from lens2 to lens1, pass lens2 over to right hand and screw it into the cam body..

i think it works for small/medium size lenses...
just sharing my practice... :)

i had the camera strap ard my neck,

using left hand, hold lens2 with rear cap unscrewed but still covered, press and unlock lens1 from camera body, remove with right hand.

transfer lens1 from right to left hand, now left hand will hold 2 lenses in parallel.
transfer rear cap from lens2 to lens1, pass lens2 over to right hand and screw it into the cam body..

i think it works for small/medium size lenses...
just sharing my practice... :)
I think compare to the above video, your method leave the lens and camera "exposed" for too long. The way the above video shown, it kept both the lenses and camera exposed to a minimum,

OT abit, isn't changing lens for DSLR the same as changing lens for film SLR ?

What's the fuss ?? :dunno:

OT abit, isn't changing lens for DSLR the same as changing lens for film SLR ? What's the fuss ?? :dunno:

Yeah, search me.. when I read about 'abrasions' and 'shield camera with body' I wonder why people buy cameras if they are afraid to use them outside any clean room facility. Kiasu at its best. More focused on resale value than about getting good images.
Ok, the electrical charges at the sensor can attract dust whereas the film just slides into the roll and is protected there. But that's all, imho.

Yeah, search me.. when I read about 'abrasions' and 'shield camera with body' I wonder why people buy cameras if they are afraid to use them outside any clean room facility. Kiasu at its best. More focused on resale value than about getting good images.
Ok, the electrical charges at the sensor can attract dust whereas the film just slides into the roll and is protected there. But that's all, imho.

I agree!:thumbsup:

I agree!:thumbsup:

Phew, for a while, I though it was abnormal of me to just change the lens as and well required.

I guess we just need to ensure that the grip is tight enough not to let the lens or cam drop. Of course it will be crazy to change lens in the midst of a sand storm or heavy rain or snow. Other then that, just change lah ..... no need to block here block there ..... hide here hide there .... :)

Ive got super big hands(manly hands:cool:) so no problem when i tried it out on my bigger lenses...

OT abit, isn't changing lens for DSLR the same as changing lens for film SLR ?

What's the fuss ?? :dunno:
You obviously came from the digital SLR age and never use a film camera otherwise you won't be making that statement.

The MAIN difference between film and digital SLR is that DSLR has a sensor to protect while film SLR does not. Therefore, one will try to change lenses as fast as possible to avoid dust getting onto the sensor.

In the film camera, you don't need to clean the sensor even if you expose the film chamber for a bit longer under dusty environment. All you need is a blower to blow off any dust. With DSLR, even if you are careful when changing lenses and with anti-dust mechanism, you still hear people taking their camera to camera service centre to have their sensor cleaned.

To me, that is the difference between film and digital SLRs.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

Basically if it doesn't work for you, just adapt and modify. It would be silly to use the method lock, stock and barrel when you're changing two humongous lenses with a heavy body. Best is to just have two (or more) camera bodies! (Can anyone post the shot of the photographer with the multiple cameras slinging on his shoulder?)

You obviously came from the digital SLR age and never use a film camera otherwise you won't be making that statement.

Hi,

Do you mean to say I came from "film SLR age and never user a digital SLR before" ?

If that's the statement you meant, yes, I was using film SLR from 1985 :)

I only started DSLR recently, and alot to learn as it is a new ball game altogether. For a start, changing lens :)

Status
Not open for further replies.