Tasmanian Scenery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the comments. The St. Columbia Falls photo has mixed responses - some people feel that the centre is too dark, some like it just fine. But a look at the histogram tells the tale - it is really quite dark. But I had intentionally darkened it and pushed saturation, I guess it is not to everyone's taste.

Our campervan technically sleeps 5, but even with just 3 of us in it we found it a squeeze to move around cooking/sleeping/bathing. It cost us $170 a day, and doesn't include the consumables.

I visited during the middle of summer, from end of January to early February. I went to Melbourne again after that. We experienced near freezing temperatures on Mount Wellington as a result of windchill, and also weather similar to Singapore's temperature, so it is quite a spectrum.

a little pick with the last photo of the lighthouse, u might wanna adjust the perspective of the photo to see how it looks?

Dude the sunset with the seahull is just perfect. Hope it wasnt too diff to get tat bird in ur shot

Freycinet Bay Is Wineglass Bay.

Been to Tassie only once, back in June 1998, when i didn't own a camera. :bsmilie:

I did go to Wineglass Bay, however the weather was overcast. We still went anyway. The photos are pretty much what anyone else would have gotten of the bay, given that it was from the same lookout point, but worse since the weather was bad. The resulting photo wasn't anything fantastic.

The seagull was grazing in the shallow surf, but I had to keep crabbing in a half crouch along the beach to keep it neatly silhouetted in the setting sun.

hey how did you get the pics to be so sharp? What Cam you use and what is the setting? Any post processing?:thumbsup:

Most of the shots are with a 17-40mm F/4L, some (the gull shot I think) are shot with a 70-200mm F/2.8. I used a 10D for these shots. I try to stop down whenever I can when I am shooting landscapes to extract the maximum details from the glass.

My C1 raw conversion default sharpening is 5 at 100% for all my converted images. I do use unsharp mask in Photoshop but that varies from image to image.

Hey,

Great pics!! Im a tasmanian living in singapore and truely, tasmania is a wonderful place to photgraph and live. If anyone wants any holiday advise on tassie, just pm me and i will let you know all the details.

Did you get as far as St Helens on your trip? That is where i am from, theres some beautiful shots around there!

Hello r32/Melmick

Nice shots, I would like to visit Tasmanian too. Hopefully to get some tips from you and Melmick when I plan the trip.

I just came back fm Margaret River/Perth. Some of my shots are http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=182512

cheers..
eyes_40.jpg

1. cant find your subject. WB a little off IMO. not much going on here. kinda boring.

2. amazing colours. great sky. would've been stronger with only one tree. i'm still not sure about the composiition. i think a horizontal panoram would've worked better, but it's nice like this nonetheless. hunting for a more interesting angle might've been better tho, getting closer to the ground to bring out that lovely orange etc.

3. that spot on the left is really bright and annoying. the stream is in the dark and kinda gets detracted from it. all the bright spots leave my eye roaming around without locking in on the subject, the stream.

4. loks like a snapshot. fog doesnt work. could up the contrast more.

5. background is very bright, but fortunately your foreground element is interesting enough to keep the distraction away. bright spot of leaves on the right. lovely colours. perhaps a tighter crop on it would've been better to bring out the green on the leaves and leave out the overexposed background.

6. another spanshot. nice scenery but nothing very interesting going on.

7. cliche shot but the bird does it well. would'v prefered the bird closer to the camera though.

8. i love the exposure you used. maye you could've waited a few more minutes for hte sky to get darker so you could've shot this and had the ground slightly more exposed, but other than that it's a great shot, espeically with the lights inside lit up.

9. kinda boring. would've prefered more water. lighthouse stands out well but shooting in bright daylight usually doesnt turn out well, especially with white objects.

nice series, great colours and good technique with exposures and such. only thing i'd like you to improve on is your angles, get lower, get higher, include stuff in the foreground. shooting from the eye level is fine, but overdone. maybe throwing on different lenses would be cool, dealing with telephotos and fisheyes/wideangles more might bring the more creative side out of you?

Status
Not open for further replies.