Tamron's new 24-70mm f2.8 VC

YqArts said:
What is the lowest price around for the 24-70 VC?

Local store you'll have to find the stock first. Anybody got any leads?

I was quoted by
MS-colour $1,699
John 3:16 $1,650

Any place that sells lower than this?

Kenneth67C said:
Got my new baby! :cool:

and it comes with the lens cap holder:

It seems to back focus with the 5D3, so I adjusted it then its nice and sharp.
AF is a snap, it just gets the lock and click almost instantly.

Now to get more familar with the lens!

U calibrated it yourself?

Woah how come mine does not come with the lens cap holder one?!?! Or was it a freebie from the place you bought from?

Yah...given from the shop I bought it from.
FYI I got mine here on taobao where it is competitively priced.
Warranty is 3 years, no additional warranty, but 3 is good enough for me.

Last edited:
U calibrated it yourself?

Yup, the 5D3 allows to do microadjust at tele and wide ends.
Had to do microadjust focus on the 1D4 as well, same back focus. Only that the 1D4 only adjust by lens, does not differentiate between wide/tele.
After adjustment, the lens works fine on both bodies, nice and sharp.

Last edited:
Kenneth67C said:
Yah...given from the shop I bought it from.
FYI I got mine here on taobao where it is competitively priced.
Warranty is 3 years, no additional warranty, but 3 is good enough for me.

Oooh I thought was part of the package. Hahaha. Thanks for the clarification. Ya 3 years is enough for lenses lah.

Here are some test shots (compressed by FB) all shot handheld:

On the APSH as expected, no vignetting at f2.8:
61107_4212591706335_1820092958_n.jpg

On FF there is vignetting at f2.8, though colors are nicely saturated:
553998_4212592226348_805921707_n.jpg

At f8, everything is sharp and no vigetting noticed:
525143_4212592466354_1589857216_n.jpg

Focusing is slower in low light, and the VC does help. The face was lit by the laptop monitor:
488042_4212592986367_387186088_n.jpg

I was quoted by
MS-colour $1,699
John 3:16 $1,650

Any place that sells lower than this?

CP quoted me S$1577.00 (w/ GST S$1687.39).. But no stock.. and no idea when stock will come in...
TK also no stock...

Kenneth67C, great shots! I have not done extensive testing of mine yet but strangely mine didn't look like there were back focus issues. Would you say it's an "issue" throughout or just that some copies may exhibit back focus and need micro adjustments?

Kenneth67C, great shots! I have not done extensive testing of mine yet but strangely mine didn't look like there were back focus issues. Would you say it's an "issue" throughout or just that some copies may exhibit back focus and need micro adjustments?

Err...these are just test shots. Just to verify if the lens is "decently" sharp off centre. Tested after doing the microadjustment.
At the centre spot, its super sharp, no issues at all.

Well I won't say the backfocus is an issue unless I have tested sufficient copies to determine that statistically.
The important thing is that you need to check and verify focus accuracy when using non-Canon lenses, just to be sure.
Its actually quite simple to check, just shoot a ruler at about 45 deg angle focusing at a fixed point - like 6" or 15cm mark. If the area of sharpness is behind that point, you have a back focus problem. It would be better to use a tripod for this, but if your hands are steady, you can just shoot handheld. The VC works but for this to be accurate, it is better to remove camera shake from the equation.
Try it at both 24 and 70mm to verify, then go to the Menu and adjust accordingly for 5D2/3 or 1D users. Check your manual if you're not sure.

Adjust gradually and test again till the focus point is sharp.

Yup, the 5D3 allows to do microadjust at tele and wide ends.
Had to do microadjust focus on the 1D4 as well, same back focus. Only that the 1D4 only adjust by lens, does not differentiate between wide/tele.
After adjustment, the lens works fine on both bodies, nice and sharp.

For the $64,000 question, which of the two cameras do you prefer while using the Tamron 24-70?... which in your opinion produce better IQ?

For the $1,000,000 question, which of the two cameras do you prefer over-all?... the 5D3 or 1D4? :)

Fine Print: the references to monetary figures are for allegorical and entertainment purposes only. ;)

raydio said:
For the $64,000 question, which of the two cameras do you prefer while using the Tamron 24-70?... which in your opinion produce better IQ?

For the $1,000,000 question, which of the two cameras do you prefer over-all?... the 5D3 or 1D4? :)

Fine Print: the references to monetary figures are for allegorical and entertainment purposes only. ;)

Street value of above mentioned questions are $62,999 and $999,990 respectively. Those prices you quoted are retail. :)

On a serious note, thanks Kenneth67C for the detailed explanation. I did do the back/front focus test using the Focus21 PDF. Heh.

Hmm...tough question...

Give me a bit more time with the lens, then I'll have a better feel to reply.
Though just on paper, the 24-70 will work out to 31-91mm lens on the APSH format: you can still do small group shots or move back for bigger group shots. For portraits, this is a great FL range to have.

On FF, of course you get the full benefit of the big glass and it was designed for that anyway, so I shalln't dwell to long on this aspect.

Get back in a bit...

Kenneth67C said:
Got my new baby! :cool:

and it comes with the lens cap holder:

It seems to back focus with the 5D3, so I adjusted it then its nice and sharp.
AF is a snap, it just gets the lock and click almost instantly.

Now to get more familar with the lens!

Congrats. I am also thinking of getting it. Please review. Thanks in advanced.

ManWearPants said:
Congrats. I am also thinking of getting it. Please review. Thanks in advanced.

Actually there are a few posts from owners of this lens regarding the lens, such as IQ, colour saturation, focusing speeds (unscientific of course), build quality etc. All in this thread. Perhaps can let us know what exactly you need to know?

Actually there are a few posts from owners of this lens regarding the lens, such as IQ, colour saturation, focusing speeds (unscientific of course), build quality etc. All in this thread. Perhaps can let us know what exactly you need to know?

I try to be more specific.

1) Are there any barrel distortion at 24-35 mm ?
2) Is the AF able to keep up with the continuous tracking in 1D4 or 1DX?
3) The magnification is 0.2x. How good is the resolution of the lens to crop to 100% and image is still usable?
4) How is the flare control when spotlight enter the lens at an angle?
5) Is there any CA wide open at 24-35mm?
6) Is the 70mm at f2.8 sharp or need to stop down?
7) Is it a parfocal lens?

TIA

Last edited:
ManWearPants said:
I try to be more specific.

1) Are there any barrel distortion at 24-35 mm ?
2) Is the AF able to keep up with the continuous tracking in 1D4 or 1DX?
3) The magnification is 0.2x. How good is the resolution of the lens to crop to 100% and image is still usable?
4) How is the flare control when spotlight enter the lens at an angle?
5) Is there any CA wide open at 24-35mm?
6) Is the 70mm at f2.8 sharp or need to stop down?
7) Is it a parfocal lens?

TIA

To be honest other than the last question it seems the rest have been covered by several online reviews of the lens.

You might want to google it.

One test shot I took straight from the cam in JPG (only adjusted WB):
60614_4248456762939_465113789_n.jpg

Shot with: 5D3, Tamron 24-70@f2.8, 1/500s, iso500, 51mm.

Bottom R corner (nearfield) there is some CA though I would say this is negligible:
416930_4248454322878_625077768_n.jpg

Top R corner (far field) there is slight vignetting, though again negligible:
563991_4248455642911_987857979_n.jpg

Centre (not focus point, focus point was at the front T in Djokovic's court):
579348_4248454922893_1367912467_n.jpg

Lopez is running so he is slightly blurred.