SGP
anyone using this lens??
been considering to add this to my tamron 28-75mm f2.8 n nikkor 50mm f1.8
could not find reviews from here...
for portrait use...
also looking at sigma 150mm f 2.8 ...
suggestions??

thanks alot for ur inputs..

I use it for portraits. It's good. What do you want to know?

i wanto know whether is the focal length of 90mm gap far from my current 75mm reach on crop frame...
is the 15mm gap significant?

Then I recommend that you borrow/rent the lens to see it for yourself. No one can be a better judge then yourself!

Then I recommend that you borrow/rent the lens to see it for yourself. No one can be a better judge then yourself!

hmmmm go down straight to shop and test sounds good.

It's probably better to borrow the lens for a field test.

It's probably better to borrow the lens for a field test.

don seems to be alot of user of this lens...if not i don have to start a new thread on this lens...did research over the web...quite good the feedback...

dun judge the len by the number of replies...lol

this len is good and value for money :)

I like the size and sharpness of the lens... and also the value for $$$ ;)

Might be a bit too slow for portrait depending if your subject moves..but for macro, the amount of details is simply superb for its price. I like it very much.

Hi SK1968, can you elaborate about it being too slow for potrait? Or were you referring to fast action stuffs (sports)? I used it for potrait with no problems.

Might be a bit too slow for portrait depending if your subject moves..but for macro, the amount of details is simply superb for its price. I like it very much.

Hi SK1968, can you elaborate about it being too slow for potrait? Or were you referring to fast action stuffs (sports)? I used it for potrait with no problems.

I may be wrong but I regard those pictures of the models taken at the SIN09 as portraits too. Those are not really sports stuffs but can be challenging for SP 90 as its auto focusing is not very fast. However, if you have a really nice model who will stay still for a while, then it is ok. What type do you use it for ? I have a Tokina 28-70 f2.8 and it is comparatively much faster.

think its QC issues i think...
third party brands are usually inconsistent some ways...
if the 90mm captures portraits poorly then i can forget about it liao...
anyway saw the diff already, even 105mm from 75mm also not much big diff so looking at 70-300mm lens now.
most likely is sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro...found a sharp n fast copy..

use the focus limit switch on the len.
as u know u probably will be some distance away from the model, jus use the focus limit switch...

if not, the len will hunt sometime....

The focusing of the lens was never a problem for me. As ijnek mentioned, use the focus limit will be adequate, even if the lens hunt, which doesn't happen often for me.

purple fringing is an issue for me with this lens..

might make it less suitable for portrait work..

otherwise, the focal length and sharpness work well to give nice, sharp portraits.

i using tam 90 with my d90.. been serving me well.. good for macro like jewellery n stuff n some outdoor shoots.. but indoors somtimes too tight...

i'm using it for food, flowers...occassionally insects, but i wish i had more reach when takin pics of insects...

tried already...no-go...90mm not much diff from my current 75mm...
even the sigma 105mm also not much diff...
got a 70-300mm telephoto instead..

Status
Not open for further replies.