Mar 22, 2002
Singapore
gallery.clubsnap.com
Bring my Tamron SP Autofocus 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro Lens for a field trip

$13925114766_d29583f0ab.jpg

$13925114262_b2da849c23.jpg

$13925118892_1ce8dbd970.jpg

$13948276383_fdbd86fac7.jpg

Looks good. Think you may need more close-up shots & more contrast. What set-up are you using?

Good start but exposure is not enough. Lighting is very important in Macro photography. Did you use a flash?

Good start but exposure is not enough. Lighting is very important in Macro photography. Did you use a flash?

No flash. All shot in raw and export via Lightroom. No adjustment is done, thus the contrast is low. Thanks king2penn and ALMACRO for the pointer.

beside overall underexposed, lighting is also flat, it will be good you can increase the exposure and contrast during the post.

I saw an old photographer shooting flowers inside the dome many months back, he bring a small mirror (about A5 size) as reflector to create more dimensional lighting.

Hope this help.

beside overall underexposed, lighting is also flat, it will be good you can increase the exposure and contrast during the post.

I saw an old photographer shooting flowers inside the dome many months back, he bring a small mirror (about A5 size) as reflector to create more dimensional lighting.

Hope this help.

Thanks for the tip.. will do a post and upload it.

Thanks for the tip.. will do a post and upload it.
you are welcome.

it would be good if you post a revised version as an update posts with some steps you have taken, so other members can also learn a thing or two from the before and after images. :)

Looks much better. To save you time on post processing, use flash (built-in or external) when taking your shots. Create your own diffuser to soften the flash. "Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro Lens" is a very good macro lens. Highly recommended. Myself is using "Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro 1:1" which cost me about S$1200 with 5 yrs agent warranty. A very good lens and love it so much.

Looks much better. To save you time on post processing, use flash (built-in or external) when taking your shots. Create your own diffuser to soften the flash. "Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro Lens" is a very good macro lens. Highly recommended. Myself is using "Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro 1:1" which cost me about S$1200 with 5 yrs agent warranty. A very good lens and love it so much.

Is 90mm/2.8 is it 1:1? And got 2 version??

Is 90mm/2.8 is it 1:1? And got 2 version??

Yes, "Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro Lens" is a 1:1 ratio macro lens. As long as this is a real macro lens, it will be 1:1 ratio. Tamron has three macro lens. 60mm, 90mm and 180mm. If you shoot more on insects, I'll advice you to go for 180mm so that you don't have to go too near to the subject and yet can achieve 1:1 ratio. As we know, getting too near to the subject will scare way the insect. The shorter the focal length is, the nearer you need to go towards the subject in order to achieve 1:1.

Btw, (SP) = Super Performance. When you go for Tamron lens, make sure you go for (SP) just like Canon L lens.

Hope this will help.

Yes, "Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro Lens" is a 1:1 ratio macro lens. As long as this is a real macro lens, it will be 1:1 ratio. Tamron has three macro lens. 60mm, 90mm and 180mm. If you shoot more on insects, I'll advice you to go for 180mm so that you don't have to go too near to the subject and yet can achieve 1:1 ratio. As we know, getting too near to the subject will scare way the insect. The shorter the focal length is, the nearer you need to go towards the subject in order to achieve 1:1.

Btw, (SP) = Super Performance. When you go for Tamron lens, make sure you go for (SP) just like Canon L lens.

Hope this will help.

Actually, despite having longer minimum focusing distance for the 180mm, the front of the lens to the insect at 1:1 is about the same as the front of the lens of a 90 mm to the insect at 1:1. The longer minimum focusing distance is offset by its longer barrel length.

Actually, despite having longer minimum focusing distance for the 180mm, the front of the lens to the insect at 1:1 is about the same as the front of the lens of a 90 mm to the insect at 1:1. The longer minimum focusing distance is offset by its longer barrel length.

I used both the 90mm and 180mm for 2 years each on a weekly basis and found the working distance at 1:1 to be quite significant.

I'm adding extension tubes and high diopter filters in front now to reduce the working distance, the difference is still obvious at the same magnification.

I used both the 90mm and 180mm for 2 years each on a weekly basis and found the working distance at 1:1 to be quite significant.

I'm adding extension tubes and high diopter filters in front now to reduce the working distance, the difference is still obvious at the same magnification.

Yes, the difference in minimum working distance between the two lenses is 15 cm, according to information on the website.