Tamron OR Nikon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wudabao

Deregistered
May 6, 2004
which lens shall i buy?

I am using D70 and hope to get a standard zoom lens for most daily usage.

Tamron AF 2.8 28-75mm LD XR Aspherical SP , i read lots of positive reviews on the internet
OR
AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G, and some professionals say this lens is good and it is nikon original lens.

I just want to buy a daily travel lens and no money in pocket to buy the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED. so please give me some suggestions for these 2 lens or tell me others choices you think is better.

Thanks

what's wrong with the kit lens? it gives you a good wide angle coverage not found on any of the alternative zooms you list here (they would be more like normal to tele zooms)

I used 24-120 VR for travelling which has quite a good coverage (saving from changing lens often) and so far so good. I believe the price is sub $1000.

Hope it helps.

I have been eyeing the 24-120 AF-S VR for quite some time now.
Yeah.... I believe its great for travelling -> need not change lens as often.

But I have a problem with this lens -> its type G -> which means it has no aperature ring. I always have my FM2 in my bag.... thus this lens is not compatible with my FM2 at all.....

sighz :(

justarius said:
what's wrong with the kit lens? it gives you a good wide angle coverage not found on any of the alternative zooms you list here (they would be more like normal to tele zooms)
yar.. wad's wrong with the kit lens? i use it more than my 24 120..

wudabao said:
which lens shall i buy?

I am using D70 and hope to get a standard zoom lens for most daily usage.

Tamron AF 2.8 28-75mm LD XR Aspherical SP , i read lots of positive reviews on the internet
OR
AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G, and some professionals say this lens is good and it is nikon original lens.

I just want to buy a daily travel lens and no money in pocket to buy the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED. so please give me some suggestions for these 2 lens or tell me others choices you think is better.

Thanks

BUY Nikon 24-85mm... wider angle .. :thumbsup:

If got budget .. BUY the 24-120 VR ... ;)

Please see the review here

that why i confusing which lens shall i buy?

wudabao said:
Please see the review here

that why i confusing which lens shall i buy?

pardon my saying this, but that lens review site you put up has more sh*t in it than a field full of defecating cows.

That the 28-80G wins the AF-S 17-35mm in terms of optical quality sort of gives it away. The 28-80G is 'good' while the 17-35mm is only 'average'? Right. Go tell that to any Nikon shooting pro and see how far his jaws can drop. Please don't rely on this so called 'review'. I seriously wonder if they had pulled out numbers from the thin air.

Whats your budget?
Anyone knows the prices?

i rather stick with the kit lens than buy any of those for a d70. if ur main interest is still photography, u will know that range is important, wide angle is a must have. only replacement for the kit lens would be 17-35 or the 17-55 f2.8, which is 3-4x ur budget.

~MooEy~

justarius said:
pardon my saying this, but that lens review site you put up has more sh*t in it than a field full of defecating cows.

That the 28-80G wins the AF-S 17-35mm in terms of optical quality sort of gives it away. The 28-80G is 'good' while the 17-35mm is only 'average'? Right. Go tell that to any Nikon shooting pro and see how far his jaws can drop. Please don't rely on this so called 'review'. I seriously wonder if they had pulled out numbers from the thin air.
Yes Agreed... :thumbsup:

The review he views is really ****!!! The AFS28-70 f/2.8 should be rated at 5.0 not some crap of 4.11.

This is a well known fact that the Nikon's trinity, namely AFS17-35 f/2.8, AFS28-70 f/2.8, AFS70-200G f/2.8VR are all rated 5.0 for optics quality. Only the earlier tele-zoom of the AFD/AFS80-200 f/2.8 is rated at 4.5 and 4.9 respectively.

What crap that the 3rd parties Tamron, Sigma, Tokina can have a higher weightage in optics quality as compared to the Trinities... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

actually i have a vague suspicion that you will be happy with either lens. well the irony of having the luxury of choice consumers spend more time thinking about making choices.

First off I will try to end your misery of deciding. Just toss a coin and stick to the toss results! Eventually if you do find the lens you purchased inadequate, underutilised etc, you can probably resell either one quite easily and find another lens.

or how about just forgetting about the lens and put the money into your travel budget :) - if i get your gist correctly.

Now I will help make it more complicated for you :)

if you have time to wait and spare and want to save bucks, a used 28-70 Tokina is another viable option. Or a used Nikon 28-105.

If you are interested on Nikon AFS 24-85. let me know .Willing to let go at good prices.

abdul

oh? how much r u selling?

MooEy said:
i rather stick with the kit lens than buy any of those for a d70. if ur main interest is still photography, u will know that range is important, wide angle is a must have. only replacement for the kit lens would be 17-35 or the 17-55 f2.8, which is 3-4x ur budget.

~MooEy~
This is very good advice. Focal range influences your composition, perspective and opportunities more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.