Tamron 28-300mm lens Vs Canon 28-105mm & 75-300mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericana

Jul 24, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

I have heard that the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens is pretty good and
am tempted to give up either the 28-105mm or 75-300mm lens for the one above.
Any comparsions on the Tamrons Vs Canon lens above.
The 75-300 mm lens is a bit soft at longer ranges(or maybe it is only for my case)

Anyone out there can enlighten me.
Thanx

Ericana said:
Hi,

The 75-300 mm lens is a bit soft at longer ranges(or maybe it is only for my case)

Thanx

Can check out some reviews on the net.... but the 28-200 XR is better in terms of optical quality, given the smaller range. I think the 28-300 is worth while if u travel a lot and like to take lots of photos..... nothing beats a Swiss Army-style zoom when holidaying...... some more it's not very heavy for it's range......

Thanx for the reply.

Will serious consider the tamron lens .

i think there would be some compensation on the optic quality i think... because the bigger the range, the poorer the resolution (thats what someone expert told me..)

yamcake said:
i think there would be some compensation on the optic quality i think... because the bigger the range, the poorer the resolution (thats what someone expert told me..)

No need expert, simple physic logical can already mah ;) .... However, as a all in one lens, 28-300 is a good idea, you definitely would not want to carry 3 lens 28 -70, 70-210, 100 - 300 for your travel right? (Unless of course there is a theme for your travel).

Of course comparing focal length to focal length of the 28-300XR with the equivalent prime or shorter range zoom, the 28-300XR will show more artifacts and distortions.... but really if u dun blow up beyond 5R, I dun think u can see the difference... and since it is a holiday lens.... then why bother to bother about the technical details of the lens...... enjoy the holiday and leave the camera alone....... just shoot for fun and for keepsake..... not going for exhibition mah!

Ericana said:
Hi,

Thanx

I have a sigma 28 -300 lens, however, I also have 3 different lenses for clearer or situation that need faster lens or better optics. What F/stop is your 75-300? BTW, id 75-300 is a bit soft at longer range, just think the softness for a 28 -300 lens, where you actually stretch the lens limit.

blurblock said:
I have a sigma 28 -300 lens, however, I also have 3 different lenses for clearer or situation that need faster lens or better optics. What F/stop is your 75-300? BTW, id 75-300 is a bit soft at longer range, just think the softness for a 28 -300 lens, where you actually stretch the lens limit.

Quite a number of reviews have mentioned that the lens is amazingly sharp throughout the entire range and the softness at both ends are definitely not too obvious. it's usually f/3.5-5.6 for these Tamron lenses.... so far it's got only good reviews plus a ton of awards....

Blurblock , How do you find your sigma 28-300 lens optical quality as compared to the 28-105 or etc ?

My canon 75-300 mm lens is f4-5.6 III USM. Thinking of selling it off.
Is the sigma lens soft at 300mm range ?

Anyone cann provide with links for the reviews . I can't seem to find it :dunno:

Thanx for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.