tamron 17-50mm vs ef-s 18-55mm is

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewyeo85

Jan 26, 2008
Singapore
y-hikari.weebly.com
i am using 50d and kit len ef-s 18-55mm is..can anyone advice is thr a big different in term of image quality if i change my 18-55mm is to tamron 17-50mm f2.8?how is the performance of this tamron len?worth to upgrade?

tamron should be sharper ? and the blur effect should be better ... :p

not that easy to compare if the 18-55 IS as its pretty good and you get anti-shake system as well.

imo, the 17-50 is pretty good as an events lens but do get the 55-250 IS to cover the longer range.

the main difference between the 2 lens is the f2.8 on tamron. you want to tell the difference in this area, please proceed to get it, shoot more and you will find out the wonders of constant f2.8

Once you get the Tamron 17-50 you will see how limited the kit lens is. Many say the kit lens is good and sharp but it really doesn't compare the Tamron is really much better.

i am using 50d and kit len ef-s 18-55mm is..can anyone advice is thr a big different in term of image quality if i change my 18-55mm is to tamron 17-50mm f2.8?how is the performance of this tamron len?worth to upgrade?

e upgrade in this case is for f2.8, but with ur cam good iso, i dnt think u will miss e IS.. jus borrow or rent one to play before u buy...

Once you get the Tamron 17-50 you will see how limited the kit lens is. Many say the kit lens is good and sharp but it really doesn't compare the Tamron is really much better.

To the naked eye, the difference between a photo shot with the Tamron and the kit lens cannot be told. The truth is, the kit lens is good and sharp, but the Tamron has the advantage of a wider aperture.

#1. taken with 18-55mm IS (kit lens)
3379712888_9bd55f5964.jpg

#2. taken with tamron 17-50mm f2.8
3392348393_9454f870c4.jpg

it is good to have f2.8 at every focal length. and i think tamron focusing is faster than kit lens. i can't give much comments because i just used my tamron lens for one day. ;)
but choosing lens is really depends on individual.

The 18-55IS is a little wonder. I bought it without expecting much from it but I was surprised at how sharp the lens was even wide open. In terms of image quality both the tamron and the kitlens are equally good. So it comes down really to f2.8 and IS. On paper IS will allow you to handhold at 3-4 stops slower shutter speed, f2.8 is 2 stops faster than f5.6. If you mainly shoot slow moving or stationary objects IS will allow you to shoot under darker conditions than f2.8. If you shoot moving objects then you have to get f2.8.

If you don't need f2.8 to shoot moving objects but am aiming for the tamron because you want to shoot portrait with shallow dof then may I suggest that you get the kit lens + a 50 1.4/1.8 or a 85 1.8. The cost will be the same or cheaper than getting the tamron.

i am currently using 18-55mm is,55-250mm is and 50mm f1.8..i m thinking of buying tamron 17-50mm to replace my 18-55mm is as i m goin to korea for traveling end of this year..or i just stick wif 18-55mm is since thr is no much different??

I had a same setup as well, 18-55mm is,55-250mm is and 50mm f1.8... very tempting to opt for tammy 17-50mm f2.8 (faster len) to replace my 18-55mm is. I would really love to hear other opinions...

i am currently using 18-55mm is,55-250mm is and 50mm f1.8..i m thinking of buying tamron 17-50mm to replace my 18-55mm is as i m goin to korea for traveling end of this year..or i just stick wif 18-55mm is since thr is no much different??

I had a same setup as well, 18-55mm is,55-250mm is and 50mm f1.8... very tempting to opt for tammy 17-50mm f2.8 (faster len) to replace my 18-55mm is. I would really love to hear other opinions...

I did have the same set up as you guys, what i did recently was sell my 55-250 as I do not take landscape that often and get the Tamron lens, my kit lens is now used as a back up.

I have also done comparison with the legendary Canon 17-55 f2.8 with the Tamron lens and I decided to go for Tamron. Why?

1. Price (Unless you earn by shooting)
2. Sharpness
3. IQ good
4. f2.8

Price is way too much for the canon lens and tamron lens can deliver the same results just don't expect 100% great shots. I give it 8 out of 10 pics. :thumbsup:

conclusion get the tamron lens, you won't regret with so many good reviews.
MS colour has great prices though haha..look for Florence as usual btu grab it fast cause it go OOS at a press of the shutter.

Last edited:
Tamron 17-50 is good, but check carefully before purchase. Look for possible back front focus problem.

how do you check for back front focus problem??

To the naked eye, the difference between a photo shot with the Tamron and the kit lens cannot be told. The truth is, the kit lens is good and sharp, but the Tamron has the advantage of a wider aperture.

I could tell a difference. Besides having the ability to have 2.8 at all zoom ranges the color tonality is warmer and much more pleasing. Well at least to my eyes. The kit lenses colors seem much more bland. I also like many others have all the plastic lenses 18-55, 55-250, and the 1.8 50mm. The quality of the 1.8 50 and 55-250 are good enough for me to keep but I just wasn't happy enough with the 18-55mm. To me the tamron 17-50 really is worth the money spent and worth sacrificing the IS of the kit lens. It hardly ever comes off the camera. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.