Tamron 17-35 f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash n Burn

Mar 7, 2005
Singapore
Hi, does anyone have any info on the Tamron 17-35mm f2.8? Saw 1-2 previous threads on it, but it tapered down to something else irrelevant. Anyone got first hand experience? Thinking of getting this as a cheaper alternative to the 17-40L...

reviews on fred miranda are mixed on this, some loved it, some dun.
about 95% of the pple rave about the 17-40l.

I hope we are refering to the same Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 LD ASPHERICAL IF.

I'm happy with its optical performance, and it's surely sharp (and sharper than most consumer grade zooms even Canon's). A review/test I read (with sample images) says it's on par with Canon 17-40L but only lacks the solid build of the L, and I would agree with that test.

Personally, I feel that if you're not using your lens in extreme conditions (and most of us don't), it's not gonna disintegrate like paper soaked into water.

I use 2 of these, 1 Canon mount for my own and another Nikon mount at my workplace. It's sharper than any of the Nikon zooms at my workplace.

Strangely, the Nikon version focuses a hell lot faster (on a Fuji S2 Pro) than the Canon version on my 20D. I wonder if I got a lemon.

Yups, most reviews have pretty good things to say about it, just thought i get an opinion from pple who have used it b4... though it seems the best way is to go down to the shop and try it first hand!!! :bsmilie:
Any other pple have their experiences to share? I'm looking at a canon mount... hope no lemons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.