Taking pictures in club/pub with dim lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzerpunk

Jun 10, 2006
Singapore
www.teodikai.net
Any recommendations?

I'm thinking that under the ambient or flashing lights, 2.8 + IS would be totally useless and I would need at least a ISO 1600/3200 + 1.4 + flash + tripod for correct exposure...

Hmmm? Too bad about the dancing people :(, don't think 1/20 is gonna freeze their actions. Would need at least 1/60 or so from exp :( Further, 85L is too long for a cramped place with 500 people around :(

I believe this topic has been discussed before...

But well... at ISO 1600 or 3200, you may still get away with some shots (under-exposed) with focus more on the dancers when they strobe the area. It's all a matter of getting the available light at the situation.

Try it with the wider lenses at f2.8. ;)

Check this out

Camera Make: FUJIFILM
Camera Model: FinePix S9600
Image Date: 2006:10:22 00:44:51
Flash Used: Yes (Manual)
Focal Length: 6.8mm (35mm equivalent: 249mm)
CCD Width: 0.98mm
Exposure Time: 0.625 s
Aperture: f/2.9
Focus Distance: 0m
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: 1.00
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

Nice, just surprised ISO 200 can do the job... 1/5 with people standing still, wonder if those people really stoodo that still

what about slow sync flash...with a pair of relatively steady hands...hahaha

why would u want to freeze the motion....if u play with motion blur also very nice ma...slow syn flash is just nice...

what about slow sync flash...with a pair of relatively steady hands...hahaha

Yes, I think that guy used slow sync (rear curtain) and shot at very short focal length (less than 10mm actual) with a reasonably steady pair of hands.

That's the beauty of Flash photography which I'm beginning to take a look at after discovering his pictures in the dpreview forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.