taking photos of fireworks on 31st Dec.

Those who shot from the Esplanade side by the bridge had around 10 usable shots.
Me, I try to be funny and shoot from MBS which I mentioned before is in the downwind, so I got only 4 usable shots :embrass:

Agree, it get so smoky... And the crowd nearly topple my tripod. :eek:

dsc1211w.jpg

I think I only have 1 or 2 usable ones.

I got molested :(

i was at the national stadium, and thought we had picked a good spot.. .however, we later realised that the fireworks were on our far right, so we hardly got any good background.. plus of course the smoke...

and the worst part was that when the fireworks started, everyone stood up as exhorted by the emcee... blocking the view :( :( :angry:

hopefully 2-4 shots are ok..

Hey guys, one bad shoot isn't something to be upset about.
Let's look towards the next firework shoot during CNY.
Every new experience just make us better :)

I think it is the common perception ( slow shutter, water reflections....) of how a fireworks shot should be that caused such disappointment.

The fireworks are way up and for sure u can take it unobstructed, try taking at high iso, fast shutter speed in this type of conditions.

Also if too many people blocking, u can use them as foreground which may reflect the mood nicely.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I think it is the common perception ( slow shutter, water reflections....) of how a fireworks shot should be that caused such disappointment.

The fireworks are way up and for sure u can take it unobstructed, try taking at high iso, fast shutter speed in this type of conditions.

Also if too many people blocking, u can use them as foreground which may reflect the mood nicely.

Hope this helps

Agreed!
me and my gf queued for 2hrs in blistering summer sun in syd to get into the botanical garden which has the best vantage supposedly (view of fireworks, water, opera house, harbourbridge) all together.

got in, the full clear view area are now designated paid spots. free spots are pretty much covered by trees etc.. but since we got in liao nevermind lor... somemore no nice seats, and have to wait for 6hrs for the first fireworks and 9 for the big one.
yeah we got in at 3pm, waited till 9pm for the small one, then 12am for the final one..

so how? in the end, i shot bokeh fireworks with my 100mm macro lens and 50mm 1.8
Eg:

Chrysanthemum by Bluemonkey08, on Flickr

Rest of them here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluemonkey08/sets/72157625593226503/

Last edited:
Last edited: