taking photos for competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellfire88

Aug 26, 2009
i am planning to take part in some photography competition and was wondering if there are any tips to shoot competitively?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Where to start? What competition? Take pretty flower pictures? Nude portrait? Ants? Sky? People? Garbage in, garbage out.

This topic could fill several books, or be summarized in two sentences:

Nobody can teach you the creativity that you would need to take a picture that stands out from the rest. It is only you and your camera that can make the difference, and if you think you need people to teach you that, then you have already lost the competition.

i am planning to take part in some photography competition and was wondering if there are any tips to shoot competitively?

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

i don't believe in shooting "for competitions".

i just shoot regularly, and happily. and then i submit what better things came out of that. :)

that way, you enjoy it a lot more.

Somehow, I agree with night86mare.

But my suggestion would be look for those photo that wins competition, try to isolate the elements that makes the photos stand out from the rest. However, this could make your photos lost creativity, if you tend to follow other's style.

i don't believe in shooting "for competitions".

i just shoot regularly, and happily. and then i submit what better things came out of that. :)

that way, you enjoy it a lot more.

this way is much better, and you will not have any pressure to copy others' style to win the competition), it's more natural.

your style and what you want to shoot will stand out when shooting normally and not under competitive pressure...

hope this helps:)

one more piece of advice,

please don't take part in competitions expecting a "must win" kind of thing, or after that cry foul.

every competition is subjective, even if you are good, you can't win all the time; even if you are bad, sometimes also might win, that is life.

this is not targeting anyone in particular, but you can read it to gain insights on what the wrong attitude when participating in competitions can lead to.. winning is not everything.

one more piece of advice,

please don't take part in competitions expecting a "must win" kind of thing, or after that cry foul.

every competition is subjective, even if you are good, you can't win all the time; even if you are bad, sometimes also might win, that is life.

this is not targeting anyone in particular, but you can read it to gain insights on what the wrong attitude when participating in competitions can lead to.. winning is not everything.

true, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

that's life... just go with the intention of gaining experiences, and doing the thing you love most (shooting) and learning things, and when you win anything, it's a bonus and a mild surprise.

if you lose, we pick ourselves up, and keep walking. there's plenty more competitions to take part in:)

if you lose, we pick ourselves up, and keep walking. there's plenty more competitions to take part in:)
in life, there is always a balance.

there is nothing wrong in feeling angry or pissed with yourself if you do not win a competition; but one should move on quickly enough.

there is nothing wrong in feeling happy for winning one, but one should realise that it is just one, and after a while accolades of that sort mean little to anyone else but the ones that you really shouldn't care about, i.e. people too enamoured with 功名..

taking competitions seriously enough to shoot well, yet not to the extent where you just crash and burn when you do not win anything.. that is the way to go.

some of the world's best photographers have not won a single award their entire life.

in singapore, ken seet has won nothing that i can think of, but he has the respect of many good photographers. doesn't that say a lot?

thanks all for the very valuable insights.

really appreciate it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.