Taking class photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

hackie

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
me working in a pri sch..
lately got some teachers started asking me to take class photo for them.. tried taking in hall n some outdoors with pretty good results.. now thinking of doing it as a sideline. :D

here's my current thought of the whole process..

eqpt - Nikon F80, AFS 24-85, Sigma EF500 flash, 055 tripod.
camera set on tripod with flash n cable release.
setting at f11, 3D matrix metering mode, direct flash on TTL with omni bounce, red eye reduction..

for a class of 40 kids, line them up according to height..
1st 10 tall kids sit in front, followed by next 10 kneeling, next 10 standing on grd, n last 10 (which r the shortest) standing on bench.

after the shoot (abt 3 shoots for each class), send them off in rows to write down names in order..

after whole thing, develop the film into 4R to see results.. choose the best for each class then scan the neg at 2400dpi. add the names in using Photoshop. burn to CD then send for printing..

wld printing 6R or 8R frm digital media more exp than frm neg??

can anyone give me more advices?? thanks

Derek

Originally posted by hackie
wld printing 6R or 8R frm digital media more exp than frm neg??

At Fujifilm outlets, yes. At Singapore Color Centre and Standard Photo, the prices are the same for digital media or film neg.

why not from film u ask them burn to CD and from there u edit liao then send for printing

Well, it's that time of the year, isn't it?

First of all, I'd prefer to shoot outdoor as I can make use of the natural light and skip the external flash (I'm not good @ playing flash indoors).

I'd also try to pick the earlier part of the day as the light will not be too harsh and given that if I know that I may blow the prints up to 6R/8R (I rarely do that), I'll use a iso 100 film to do the trick.

I'll also get the kids to stand in 3 rows as unlike secondary school kids, they are smaller in built. Get the first roll to squat/sit, second row to bend down while the last row to stand.

So far, I like the results. I didn't try to scan it in to do usm or such. Just use the remote, frame well and do a couple of shots.

Good shooting! ;)

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
why not from film u ask them burn to CD and from there u edit liao then send for printing

hmmm.... din think of tat since i got a scanner too... but save me trouble of scanning.. ;)

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Well, it's that time of the year, isn't it?

First of all, I'd prefer to shoot outdoor as I can make use of the natural light and skip the external flash (I'm not good @ playing flash indoors).

I'd also try to pick the earlier part of the day as the light will not be too harsh and given that if I know that I may blow the prints up to 6R/8R (I rarely do that), I'll use a iso 100 film to do the trick.

I'll also get the kids to stand in 3 rows as unlike secondary school kids, they are smaller in built. Get the first roll to squat/sit, second row to bend down while the last row to stand.

So far, I like the results. I didn't try to scan it in to do usm or such. Just use the remote, frame well and do a couple of shots.

Good shooting! ;)

thanks for the tips..

how abt the names? did u add them in??

I think it would be better if you could get the namelist of the class before hand, cut out the names (or print on small strip of paper), then let the pupils hold on to their own names. After the shoot, get them to return it to u.

You would need to prepare the different clips or containers for the names. Just let the teacher know that you need them to come IN ORDER (you know lah, children can get over excited). Then just seal them in a bag for each class.

Don't forget to have a serious and "fun" version :D

Originally posted by Fastbreak
I think it would be better if you could get the namelist of the class before hand, cut out the names (or print on small strip of paper), then let the pupils hold on to their own names. After the shoot, get them to return it to u.

You would need to prepare the different clips or containers for the names. Just let the teacher know that you need them to come IN ORDER (you know lah, children can get over excited). Then just seal them in a bag for each class.

Don't forget to have a serious and "fun" version :D

Yeah.
Recently I was having a class photoshoot, and this was what they did.

they cut the namelist, and they passed it to the class chairperson to distribute.

then they came armed with a piece of scotchtape and took our tags and pasted them..

But to make it easier, I think you should just print the photos according to the classes, and then you just pass back to the respective form teacher.. ask him/her to do the name sorting.

that will be easier for you..

Originally posted by SNAG

and then you just pass back to the respective form teacher.. ask him/her to do the name sorting.

that will be easier for you..

Mmm.... dun think that's fair for the teacher yah? After all, you're the one getting paid... just a thought...

Originally posted by Fastbreak

Mmm.... dun think that's fair for the teacher yah? After all, you're the one getting paid... just a thought...

Oh, he gets paid ah?
Then you will have to do the work...

Seriously, I think photoshoots are really profitable... :D
For instance, the photo agency (Widevision) charges us $2 for like a 5R photo, and $6 for a laminated 8R (i think)!!

Wow.
Just imagine 3 photos per class (1 formal, 2 informal), 30 max students, 24 classes... :eek: :eek:

But it's cheap compared to the rest though... Since they are using MF format, + use studio flash and blah blah.... :)

Maybe it's time for me to start thinking of this too! :)

ya.. get paid... but dunno how to charge!!!
told them $50/roll for event coverage inclusive of printing..

any guides on the charging part for class photo? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.