Taking city skylines after sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

icecameraman

Appreciate someone can advise the technique in taking night picture of our city skylines (camera positioned at Esplanade and aiming towards Merlion Lion and Building behind) after sunset. I am using a SLR camera with zoom len.

1. Metering (at which particular area or building) that will provide the correct exposure.

2. What film (ISO) to use that will provide the best result?

3. Other area I must take note.

Thank you.

meter the merlion and bracket

any good film will give u good result eg fuji provia or superia xtra

watch out for flare or "ugly object" eg unwanted passerby/rubbish on ground

Thanks Guys, really appreciate....will give a try...

I have heard of using double exposure, 1st shot before the lightning is out (- half stop), to get a sharp image and 2nd shot when the lightning is out..is this true ?

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to get both the Merlion and buildings properly exposed unless you use print film. The range is too great for transparency film and digital.

The Merlion can be slightly over-exposed when spot metering on it since you want it to be white rather than grey. But the buildings in the background (other than Fullerton Hotel) usually need much greater exposure. One approach (especially if using digital) would be take 2 shots - exposing one for the Merlion and the other for the buildings, then blending them together on the computer.

I am using a SLR camera and the last shot was done with a tripod..the finishing was a bit underexposed...so I am seeking opinion on where to meter that will give the best result.
Definitely bracketing is one of the good advise.

bro u using print film? how long was your exposure?

F11 at 1/15 secs...

Status
Not open for further replies.