Taiwan 10D9N

prec85

Aug 21, 2008
Hi,

I will be travelling to Taiwan for 10D9N (Taipei, Hualien, Farm stay at CingJing). Would any kind bros give any advise on the type of lens to bring and also if tripod is needed?

Current bringing the following:
1 x 40D w/ grip
4 x Batt
2 x 8GB CF Card
1 x Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
1 x Canon 50mm F1.4 (KIV)

Is the above sufficient for landscape and street shots?

Hi,

I will be travelling to Taiwan for 10D9N (Taipei, Hualien, Farm stay at CingJing). Would any kind bros give any advise on the type of lens to bring and also if tripod is needed?

Current bringing the following:
1 x 40D w/ grip
4 x Batt
2 x 8GB CF Card
1 x Tamron 28-75mm F2.8
1 x Canon 50mm F1.4 (KIV)

Is the above sufficient for landscape and street shots?

I never owned any grip, nor a 40D.
I would like to know, usually how many shoot can be taken with a full charge battery of 40D?
How many photos you usually take per day?
I would say just bring 2 batteries without grip. IMHO, 40D wasn't very small, you should able to hand held good even without grip.

Do you like the wide of 28mm on 1.6 crop? If you like, then is fine. If not, an additional wider lens might be a good idea.

i normally can go up to a couple of hundreds of shots before batt dies off.. shots are without flash though

I'm on my tamron 17-50 all the time when I was in Taiwan.

i think without the grip is much better. the grip is very heavy. but bring all 4 batteries there.

ur tamron lens already covers the 50mm range. so i guess it will be sufficient to bring ur tamron there only.

mmm ok thanks for the advices! looks like it is better to travel without grip? besides the weight is there any other issues why grip is not preferred?

hi there,

just to share my personal experience, i used to own a 40D together with a phottix grip but i sold off the grip later as i found it hindered my ability to capture moments in street photography. when i used it without grip, i was able to capture candids so much better, and last longer without having to take any breaks when shooting..

are you into flash photography? if you're shooting continuous (wildlife/sports) and/or require fast flash recycles then i think maybe the grip will do you benefit. perhaps if you wanna go with the grip, get a good strap that will ease the load and make your shooting more comfortable..

yeah but then again if you're just shooting mainly still subjects, then perhaps having the grip on is fine (it gives you better ergonomics i know, heh :D)

regarding tripod: for landscape photography, i suggest you bring one. cause its going to drastically improve the outcome of ur images especially when taking sunsets etc (& other low-light situations)

--

well i hope that helped, have a good trip.. hope to visit taiwan myself in the future too haha,

cheers!

Hi, i am also going Taiwan, free and easy trip for 10D9N next month.

Things i am sure to bring.

7D without grip
2 battery
32GB CF card
Tokina 11-16 & Tamron 18-270
My fav Clumper backpack
Tripod---> Haven buy yet (Looking for light and compact tripod)
Is Benro Carbon Travel Angel tripod good?

Hi, i am also going Taiwan, free and easy trip for 10D9N next month.

Things i am sure to bring.

7D without grip
2 battery
32GB CF card
Tokina 11-16 & Tamron 18-270
My fav Clumper backpack
Tripod---> Haven buy yet (Looking for light and compact tripod)
Is Benro Carbon Travel Angel tripod good?

Maybe you can consider a backup CF card, would be quite wasted should you be in the middle of nowhere and your only CF card has a problem.

Maybe you can consider a backup CF card, would be quite wasted should you be in the middle of nowhere and your only CF card has a problem.

Noted and thanks.

Minglink, which part of Taiwan are you heading for?

ahh. next tiem forward all the taiwan queries to me pls. LOL

i've been to tw for 9 years in a row and been shooting there for quite some time already :)

and 4 batts is quite ok haha. cause i only used 2 for a 10 day trip. dun use liveview and u shld be fine wiht battery power. just bring a charger. taiwan voltage is abt 110. so u might need a step up adapter.

as for ur range cover, 28-75 on a cropped body of 1.6 u decide urself. i bring my whole kit one. tammy 17-50, 50mm1.8, 55-250. covers everything i need.

as for sceneries, there is always panaroma via photostiching. get urself a good tripod with a level and u are safe.

for wad to shoot, since urs is a 40d, couple it up with ur 50mm and u can take great nightmarket shots. check out taipei ximending cause its the teenagers heaven. then u shld head down to shilin nightmarket for food also at taipei.

kaoshiung also can go the liu he night market. as for farmstay, personally i find it boring, unless u can go pick fruits then can take nice fruit photos. last time i went farm stay it was horrendous. trip up mountain was nightmare.

oh yes. keep ur kit in a discreet place

ahh. next tiem forward all the taiwan queries to me pls. LOL

i've been to tw for 9 years in a row and been shooting there for quite some time already :)

and 4 batts is quite ok haha. cause i only used 2 for a 10 day trip. dun use liveview and u shld be fine wiht battery power. just bring a charger. taiwan voltage is abt 110. so u might need a step up adapter.

as for ur range cover, 28-75 on a cropped body of 1.6 u decide urself. i bring my whole kit one. tammy 17-50, 50mm1.8, 55-250. covers everything i need.

as for sceneries, there is always panaroma via photostiching. get urself a good tripod with a level and u are safe.

for wad to shoot, since urs is a 40d, couple it up with ur 50mm and u can take great nightmarket shots. check out taipei ximending cause its the teenagers heaven. then u shld head down to shilin nightmarket for food also at taipei.

kaoshiung also can go the liu he night market. as for farmstay, personally i find it boring, unless u can go pick fruits then can take nice fruit photos. last time i went farm stay it was horrendous. trip up mountain was nightmare.

oh yes. keep ur kit in a discreet place

Hi, thanks for your advices bro!

Was wondering what type of bag do you put your kit in? I was just thinking of keeping it discreet by having my cam and lens in one of those neoprene cases and placing it into my normal bagpack.

For farmstay which one did you visit?

Did u also bring a tripod with you?

bro is this free and easy?

i just came back on a 11days 10 nite taiwan free and easy as well...
my advice to u is to go for something easy for landscape..just 1 or 2 lens to make urself easy as well...no point keep changing lens and carrying the kit whole day is going to tired urself out...maybe 17-50mm or a 12-24??? if u don have...28-75 is ok too but its abit narrow for landscape...

the only places i used a tripod was sunrise at sun moon lake, sunset at fisherman wharf at danshui, the other places, all are handheld....if u r going to the northeast coast area..u wont be able to use a tripod since the ground is uneven and narrow thru the cliff...

other streets like jiufen etc...hualien etc...u wont be able to use any tripods..and pls be reminded that currently taiwan is flooded with so many tourist especially from china, alot of place u wont really feel like using tripod...:)

for an idea, can take a look at my flickr...didnt really finish uploading those in taipei...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mystudi0/sets/

Hi, thanks for your advices bro!

Was wondering what type of bag do you put your kit in? I was just thinking of keeping it discreet by having my cam and lens in one of those neoprene cases and placing it into my normal bagpack.

For farmstay which one did you visit?

Did u also bring a tripod with you?

i left in my hayer backpack LOL. bought a laptop too. and i'm free and easy just hired a bus from tour agency to fetch us the whole trip tats all.
farmstay i remember it was shangri-la farmstay. its on top a mountain kinda thing. plus side i get to pick fruits frmo the next door farm. the dragonfruit is red flesh and very sweet. mmhm

when in shilin btw, head down to shilin nightmarket, MUST eat the xxxxxL chicken chop. then also go eat their oyster egg thingy. and try look around for hte 棺材板. very nice. eat the prawn one and its tasty

i bring tripod cause i made it a point to shoot night panaromas. apart from tat i'm pretty much freehand one.
and since ur going to taiwan i thoguht i shld warn u this one. taiwan air quite dusty smoky etc. ur lenses are gonna get REALLY dirty. be warneddd

Last edited:
i left in my hayer backpack LOL. bought a laptop too. and i'm free and easy just hired a bus from tour agency to fetch us the whole trip tats all.
farmstay i remember it was shangri-la farmstay. its on top a mountain kinda thing. plus side i get to pick fruits frmo the next door farm. the dragonfruit is red flesh and very sweet. mmhm

when in shilin btw, head down to shilin nightmarket, MUST eat the xxxxxL chicken chop. then also go eat their oyster egg thingy. and try look around for hte 棺材板. very nice. eat the prawn one and its tasty

i bring tripod cause i made it a point to shoot night panaromas. apart from tat i'm pretty much freehand one.
and since ur going to taiwan i thoguht i shld warn u this one. taiwan air quite dusty smoky etc. ur lenses are gonna get REALLY dirty. be warneddd

wow ok.. so i guess i prolly need to bring attach a filter to my lens and bring along some cleaning kit

wow ok.. so i guess i prolly need to bring attach a filter to my lens and bring along some cleaning kit

yep. but i'll suggest u remove filter when shooting at night. the lens flares are horrible:cool: