Taipei locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

theroo

May 12, 2007
hiya

im heading to Taipei in Sept for a few days. Anyone got any suggestions on great photography locations? Perhaps more 'local' areas (preferably safe that carrying a dSLR won't attract unwanted attention) or even parks or good places for cityscapes?

Thanks

Hi Theroo

Taipei, Taiwan is generally a safe city. Just don't leave your valuables hanging around unguarded. Use of DSLR snapping around is ok.

Great location to shoot includes

- Yang Ming Shan
- Taipei 101
- Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall
- Shihlin Ye Shi

i think you can go to sun moon lake and tamshui!
tamshui can go during sunset..very romantic!!!
taiwan mountains are very nice :)
i anyhow take pictures with my lousy cheap camera
pc120048td7.jpg

pc140251yt0.jpg

pc120044yy9.jpg

really miss taiwan!

Yeah. I also miss taiwan. Definitely will go there again in the future.

hiya

im heading to Taipei in Sept for a few days. Anyone got any suggestions on great photography locations? Perhaps more 'local' areas (preferably safe that carrying a dSLR won't attract unwanted attention) or even parks or good places for cityscapes?

Thanks

If you're interested in shooting Taipei 101,
you can visit the following website :
http://beb.anyday.com.tw/scenic_spots/01/
http://www.pbase.com/albertjou/g20&page=all
http://ubb.frostyplace.com/viewtopic.php?t=25004
happy shooting :cool:

Hi Theroo

Taipei, Taiwan is generally a safe city. Just don't leave your valuables hanging around unguarded. Use of DSLR snapping around is ok.

Great location to shoot includes

- Yang Ming Shan
- Taipei 101
- Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall
- Shihlin Ye Shi

i find taipei not very scenic to shoot. National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall (previously known as Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall) and taipei 101 become very cliche shots that does not usually derive innovative angles. i last heard that chiang's statues are all moved to a certain park outside taipei city, and thought that may be a view to see the congregation of statues, as well as to denote the story behind the legacy of this ex-dictator. you might want to google further.

however adjacent to the memorial hall, there is an open ground in front of the National Theater where family may bring children there to play with fountain water, which may be interesting if you shoot streets candid and children.

shilin market and ximending are only good for eating and shopping, and are too crowded to take pictures with isolated subjects and simple composition.

within an hour of mrt, damzui (danshui, fisherman's wharf) is not bad for sunset.

in my opinion, the better parts of taiwan is the mountains, the farms and the nostalgic parts. i have not really explored the latter two and would plan for them subsequently.

in nearer vincinity of taipei would be
1. yangmingshan: onsens, sulphur spring, beautiful cafes, night scene overseeing taipei.
2. jiufen & jinguashi: rejuvenated towns that prosper during the previous colonisation under the japanese, in relation to gold-mining. jiufen is a small crowded touristy places that have a lot of renovated teahouses and old taiwanese food (what they call gu1 za1 bi2). jinguashi is nice with old japanese quarters that is all black in color.

there are other locations which i'm not sure if your itinerary would allow as they are mostly in the central mountains and eastern coast.

hiya

Thanks

actually... anywhere in taiwan is safe to shoot... no need any particular location... the streets are good place to shoot with lotsa abstracts n street candids for u... jus look around n u can see alot... :D

hey all, awesome, thanks for the replies.

yeah, i was browsing Flickr and it seems Taipei 101 is just one of those 'shots'. heh, to be honest it's not exactly the most beautiful building but yeh, i suppose i'll grab a couple!

i think i won't be able to head to the east, though i heard it's beautiful!

i heard also that a lot of the parks/mountaenous regious outside of Taipei are actually really beautiful too? apparently just like Chinese paintings! haha. but yeah, we'll see.

amelia: where is that last shot of yours?

zoosh: are your 1, and 2 recommendations within easy reach of Taipei?

in that vein: Vincent: i dont read chinese (or speak it - so yeah i might have some problems in Taiwan?) so i can't really understand the websites, but those frostyplace pics are pretty nice, it's yongchungang park? zoosh recommended that place too. so now im very keen on going! how do i get there?)

pokka: are all those places in Taipei itself?

anyway, i'll be buying a guide book asap , but sometimes guidebooks dont really give you great places to shoot ;P

cheers again guys

hey all, awesome, thanks for the replies.

yeah, i was browsing Flickr and it seems Taipei 101 is just one of those 'shots'. heh, to be honest it's not exactly the most beautiful building but yeh, i suppose i'll grab a couple!

i think i won't be able to head to the east, though i heard it's beautiful!

i heard also that a lot of the parks/mountaenous regious outside of Taipei are actually really beautiful too? apparently just like Chinese paintings! haha. but yeah, we'll see.

amelia: where is that last shot of yours?

zoosh: are your 1, and 2 recommendations within easy reach of Taipei?

in that vein: Vincent: i dont read chinese (or speak it - so yeah i might have some problems in Taiwan?) so i can't really understand the websites, but those frostyplace pics are pretty nice, it's yongchungang park? zoosh recommended that place too. so now im very keen on going! how do i get there?)

pokka: are all those places in Taipei itself?

anyway, i'll be buying a guide book asap , but sometimes guidebooks dont really give you great places to shoot ;P

cheers again guys

amelia's last pic is at damzui.

since you do not speak mandarin, and probably not hokkien/minnanese, going jiufen by bus (2 hrs) may be a problem, unless you engage a travel agency. yangmingshan is within an hr's reach via cab.

i took a look at the site given by vincent. didn't know of this location, but on the site it described it as within 5mins car ride from taipei city.

lonely planet's guide in 2004 is really outdated. you may want to check for better newer guides.

Yes all are within Taipei.

Explore the city by

-Cab
- MRt
- Bus
- Train
- Plane
- Boat
- Walk

You'll love it. Oh ya, do keep to the left when u r at the escalator

Yes all are within Taipei.

Explore the city by