Sydney Opera House viewing from The Rock - Newbie in DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

vunjick1

Oct 13, 2008
Singapore
Yesterday taken from The Rock, without a tripod nothing will be good in low light. nvm, keep on trying. : P

3009276190_6a12075cfb.jpg

3009275334_7648823be3.jpg

3009274746_b6bcb2ed8e.jpg

C&C welcomes.

Check out my others pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/vunjick1

I love the color tone you use for the post-processing :) but i feel that the 2nd picture is taken a little too low making the tower on the right side chopped a bit (or is it intentional?)

Cheers

I like your pics. The first pic has a bit too much vigenetting and the second pic could be adjusted a bit as the building on the right is not straight... But other than that they all look fine.

Good job :)

thanks for the comments, appreciate it. all photo taking was in a rush because my colleagues are heading for dinner at the rock. so without thinking too much i just snap it lor, :p will be more careful next time for the framing & composition part. As of all the vignetting is sort of did it purposely - don't you think this will bring your attention straight to the center of the pic? :p (just my way of presentation)

Note: at the beginning i more worry about the IQ during my shoot, but after few shoots i found that as of myself i nearly didn't do any print out at all, means i don't need a HIGH Quality picture, so i decided just do it as a hobby, casually, walk around snap whatever i saw rather than being a pro confusing my self with all those techniques, settings and exp gears, etc. - Just lazy, no tripod for the night shoot, :p

maybe i'm still a newbie, who knows on later stage i'll change my mind :p

i received some comments about those my shoots that the building wasn't straight or was tinted. i wonder why, is it a MUST that building must be straight to look good? coz i'm just using those freeware picasa to do the PP, can adjust it lah.

thanks for the comments, appreciate it. all photo taking was in a rush because my colleagues are heading for dinner at the rock. so without thinking too much i just snap it lor, :p will be more careful next time for the framing & composition part. As of all the vignetting is sort of did it purposely - don't you think this will bring your attention straight to the center of the pic? :p (just my way of presentation)

Note: at the beginning i more worry about the IQ during my shoot, but after few shoots i found that as of myself i nearly didn't do any print out at all, means i don't need a HIGH Quality picture, so i decided just do it as a hobby, casually, walk around snap whatever i saw rather than being a pro confusing my self with all those techniques, settings and exp gears, etc. - Just lazy, no tripod for the night shoot, :p

maybe i'm still a newbie, who knows on later stage i'll change my mind :p

You requested for C&C, so people provide C&C with certain expectations in mind. Just because you're a hobbyist and "casually walk around snap whatever you saw" doesn't mean you should put out images which are of substandard quality. If you've posted the pictures here, and requested for comments and critique, you should expect some criticism, and some positive comments as well.

If you want to "casually snap" and not care about techniques, settings and exposure (which is the most basic of photography", I suggest you do not post your pictures here requesting for critique. Laziness is a lame excuse for posting substandard pictures.

With that being said, I do like the color tones in your pictures.

And buildings don't ALWAYS have to be straight. But in your picture, the building on the right is WAY OFF its vertical axis, making for a very unbalanced picture.

i received some comments about those my shoots that the building wasn't straight or was tinted. i wonder why, is it a MUST that building must be straight to look good? coz i'm just using those freeware picasa to do the PP, can adjust it lah.

If you must tilt the building, know how to tilt it nicely. If not, it just appears sloppy.

and if you do change your mind in future, do remember to bring a tripod with you for night scenes like these. Without a tripod, you're better off not taking the photos at all.

If you must tilt the building, know how to tilt it nicely. If not, it just appears sloppy.

Just curious, how would one know how to tilt it nicely? Is there a guide somewhere where the newbies can read on tilts?

thanks.

Having mentioned abt tilt in the 2nd pic, i find the building on the right seems curved to the left a bit.

If the top of the right building is not cut off, it would have been a better pic. IMHO.

The curve you see is a bad case of curvilinear (barrel) distortion.

Not only should the building be not cropped off so abruptly, there should also be some space left above it.

You requested for C&C, so people provide C&C with certain expectations in mind. Just because you're a hobbyist and "casually walk around snap whatever you saw" doesn't mean you should put out images which are of substandard quality. If you've posted the pictures here, and requested for comments and critique, you should expect some criticism, and some positive comments as well.

If you want to "casually snap" and not care about techniques, settings and exposure (which is the most basic of photography", I suggest you do not post your pictures here requesting for critique. Laziness is a lame excuse for posting substandard pictures.

With that being said, I do like the color tones in your pictures.

And buildings don't ALWAYS have to be straight. But in your picture, the building on the right is WAY OFF its vertical axis, making for a very unbalanced picture.
ok, i get what you means. appreciated it. As you suggested, i think this is a wrong section for me to share my pic ^_^. maybe i just too new and disqualified for posting here. Alright, as a newbies and not PRO enough is my bad. anyway, people learn from their mistake mah.

Tripod, did you guys bring your tripod to your business trip or tour. "Yes" , wow you guys are serious in photography man, but not me. because just too tiring for walking around without a cab and rushing from one place to another place. (no budget for cab in sydney, far more too exp.). i know...."NO EXCUSE" over here ^_^

^_^ anyway this is just my Third attempt for my photo shoot, i'm still learning. i accepted those "critiques" & "Comments", which some of it i knew about it but didn't correct it and most of it is TRUE i'm learn from it.....BUT....shooting with a tired mind & feet... is really hard.

i'll continue shooting, just for my own reference and memories. hee hee don't dare to show these substandard pictures anymore because someone said i shouldn't. : P

Status
Not open for further replies.