Suspicious goods

gtan

Jan 26, 2005
There's some people out there selling so called brand new leica lenses and cameras at discounts but were extremely cagey when I asked for the source of the goods . For warranty just said can register the product . No receipts of purchase . Anyone have any experience with these guys ? Shed any light ? Whilst a discount is always tempting we don't wanna end up being a fence for illegal or stolen goods

if they on CS, please flag them out using the report bad post function. if they are not in CS, i suggest you call the police.

Yes on cs but I don't know enuf to slam him . This guy may even be legit . Hence wanna know if anyone bought leica ( so called brand new) cameras or lenses from him . Said he's been in the "business" for many years - sells even MM and M 240 . Could there be a parallel import portal for leica ?

Yes if you notice there are about 5 nicknames on CS buy sell forums selling new Leica gears.. their posts are all very similar in style, no contact number etc... behaving much like dealers. They have been operating like that for quite some time now. I supposed the moderators are ok with it right?

Yes if you notice there are about 5 nicknames on CS buy sell forums selling new Leica gears.. their posts are all very similar in style, no contact number etc... behaving much like dealers. They have been operating like that for quite some time now. I supposed the moderators are ok with it right?

heck no... we can't ban every one selling new gears (even though we are not stupid, we suspect that they are traders...). if there are good grounds to ban these jokers, please use the bad post function.

that said, there are some extremely rich people in CS who buy/sell their own personal leica gears like there is no tomorrow... i mean, who on earth can own multiple copies of the noctilux unless you are rolling in the dough? :sweatsm:

yea.. i agree .. theres alot of posts that repeatedly try to sell various leica gear under different nicks but almost same/similar description without any contact # or details. price's same/about the same.. people who often visit BNS:eek:ther lenses should notice this as well. honestly, its getting tiring to see the same posts over and over again, some mod should check their IPs or do something lol

yea.. i agree .. theres alot of posts that repeatedly try to sell various leica gear under different nicks but almost same/similar description without any contact # or details. price's same/about the same.. people who often visit BNS:eek:ther lenses should notice this as well. honestly, its getting tiring to see the same posts over and over again, some mod should check their IPs or do something lol

The discounts are like 20% off brand new lenses n cams which make me curious as to where he gets his stuff

The discounts are like 20% off brand new lenses n cams which make me curious as to where he gets his stuff

Obviously it's a grey set. Leica stuff here is more expensive than say in the US or in Europe.

i know that brand new leica from USA, Europe or
Dubai are around 9.5k for brand new MM.
While in SG, they bloody markup to 11.5k
All warranties are cross-border, so I have no qualms about
buying from someone who bought overseas, of course i will
check for original receipt, condition, shutter acutations etc.

FYI.I bought my M9p this way with no issues from Leica Singapore.

raytoei

No receipts of purchase .
Don't understand. If it is brand new and not second hand, there cannot be any previous receipt of purchase.
Perhaps you are referring to the receipt that the seller should issue to you. Are you saying the the seller refuses to issue you a receipt if you buy from him? What is the reason he gave you for refusing to give you a receipt?

For warranty just said can register the product
Does registering the product automatically mean you get the warranty? Is this what the seller is implying for you to believe?

being a fence for illegal or stolen goods
Leica stuff is expensive. If stolen, it is expected that they would be reported and the serial numbers registered as such in a database. Ask them to reveal the serial numbers of the stuff they intend to sell.

If the seller is bona fide, there is no need to have 5 different nicknames in CS.

If there really are 5 different sellers and all of them can offer 20% discount on Leica brand new stuff, maybe Leica representatives in Singapore need to know about it. Somebody is eating their lunch. Do you expect them to support and service the stuff you bought from shadowy vendors?

Last edited:
I have bought from them, no problems with the items whatsoever. This was after I found out my how awfully expensive my initial purchases from authorised dealers were. If we ban them, people like me will be worse off. :confused:

I have bought from them, no problems with the items whatsoever. This was after I found out my how awfully expensive my initial purchases from authorised dealers were. If we ban them, people like me will be worse off. :confused:

well... if everything went well for you, good. but... when things go south rapidly, then there will be CSers bombarding the moderators and Admins screaming at us why we didn't ban these people in the first place, why we never warn people, why we even allow them to register... etc... etc... the whole nine yards. and, suddenly, it becomes our fault.

and that is even with the advice 'caveat emptor' built into the T&Cs.... oh well...

There are some people that buy from overseas and sell it here to make some money. The prices overseas are ALOT cheaper than the prices in Singapore for Leica. Sometimes more than 20%, so it is not impossible for someone to sell it at a much lower price.

Duty free from another country, GST free in Singapore, plus exchange rate differences, discount/loyalty point program (some places offer up to 10%) and credit card perks/points (Union Pay will get you 10% discount at some places) can and will give you a HUGE discount over local prices if you know what you are doing.

It's parallel import, brand new stuff. This is the price you'd expect to pay if you buy overseas. Leica Singapore charges a hefty premium, any many people are still eager to buy locally. You can go to HK, US and AUS and get a much better deal. The price difference is usually 10-20%. You can compare the launch price of an M240 in US compared to SG if you are interested.

You can treat them like buying 2nd hand, as with buying anything else from CS there is no guarantee that you're not buying stolen goods. In fact I'd be more dubious of anyone selling gear without a box, worse if without a charger!!

sometimes people dun let you see receipt is because they dun want to let you see their profits. like this also dunno.

These are non-authorised dealers. Guess that is why they dare not show the paperwork. Leica has a right to refuse to give warranty.

They may even reserve the right not to service your camera/lenses.

It has nothing to do with how much profit the non-authorised dealer is making.

Who cares how much profit he is making, as long as you want to buy at the price he offered.

These are non-authorised dealers. Guess that is why they dare not show the paperwork. Leica has a right to refuse to give warranty.

They may even reserve the right not to service your camera/lenses.

It has nothing to do with how much profit the non-authorised dealer is making.

Who cares how much profit he is making, as long as you want to buy at the price he offered.

That is outdated information and only applied when Schmidt was the distributor.

Leica Singapore/APAC is now an official service center for Leica and they are obligated to service any legally obtained Leica (not stolen) no matter who or where you got it from.

I doubt that.

Because it begs the obvious question.

Then who wants to be an authorised dealer?

This is what one US Leica user said in a forum:
Roger
08-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Recently there have been a significant number of sales of “new “ M9P bodies and scarce lenses at healthy premiums above list . These are often represented as coming with a full Leica warranty.

Isn t it true that new Leica m9 bodies come with a 2 year warranty to only the first owner. If I remember to get service you could(not always) need a invoice from an authorized USA Leica Dealer . I also remember that registration is required (but that part isn t enforced) . Having the cards and the item not being registered don t mean anything without a dealer invoice.

http://www.nemeng.com/leica/016e.shtml

They do insist you reveal the name and address of the dealer.
Photo credit: getdpi.com

48076d1314117551-sold-leica-m9-p-chrome-silver-lnib-l9996309.jpg

Last edited:
Look. Obviously you might not get warranty servicing, but Leica will probably service anything that is Leica, with a charge.

In any case, there is such a lively used Leica trade going on right now, that grumbling about some grey market items seems almost stupid and peevish right? Heck, who here has never used a used Leica/Zeiss/Voigtlander item before?

Last edited:
If warranty and receipts are issues, why not just buy from authorized dealers? The kind of premium demanded by authorised dealers makes buying lenses without receipts worth the while.

I don't know if registering an item online is sufficient to claim warranty if required. Maybe it does based on the serial numbers. I for one don't buy into this logic, not especially when it comes to camera bodies, so would rather buy direct from authorized dealers if I really need the warranty.