Surveying of MRT Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just adding my experience to the discussion. Im in advertising and sometimes we have to recce for locations for filming. Recently I was taking photos of colonial houses at Sembawang and was detained by a police patrol which grew from 1 car to 3 cars and 2 officers to 6 officers. They questioned me, checked on whether I had a criminal record, called my boss to verify my identity etc etc. Generally a whole deal of hassle. And when I asked them.... "errr what did I do? Im just taking photos of some nice colonial houses nothing sensitive like a army base or something.... "Then they told me these house happened to be rented by US servicemen when they stop over at Sembawang Airbase or Naval Base. I was like "Sorry sir I didnt know." The reply was "you are not supposed to know"
In the end they let me off after I deleted all the photos I took..... haizzzz

I think you've misread my msg resulting in an overly reactive response. What I was saying is that they are not obliged to put up any sign because they can stop you from photography inside the station.

NMSS_2 said:
So point being? u going to do exact opposite what the "no photography" sign might indicates or disregards what a group of armed police going to tell u and try your luck?

vince123123 said:
I think you've misread my msg resulting in an overly reactive response. What I was saying is that they are not obliged to put up any sign because they can stop you from photography inside the station.

Sorry for any over reactive response! :angel: anyway i have send my "feedback" to them. hope that in future that there will not be any confusion over what we can shoot and not. needless to say the time, effort or money taken to shoot that location, ending up telling us that we have to delete those pics! ;(

centuryegg said:
Just adding my experience to the discussion. Im in advertising and sometimes we have to recce for locations for filming. Recently I was taking photos of colonial houses at Sembawang and was detained by a police patrol which grew from 1 car to 3 cars and 2 officers to 6 officers. They questioned me, checked on whether I had a criminal record, called my boss to verify my identity etc etc. Generally a whole deal of hassle. And when I asked them.... "errr what did I do? Im just taking photos of some nice colonial houses nothing sensitive like a army base or something.... "Then they told me these house happened to be rented by US servicemen when they stop over at Sembawang Airbase or Naval Base. I was like "Sorry sir I didnt know." The reply was "you are not supposed to know"

The Police were not supposed to tell you that.In fact, in this situation, they might have unduly raised the profile of the neighbourhood.

Aiyoh, all the lawyers suddenly come out. Just look out for the "no photography sign" or just ask the Passenger Service Center lah. I think its good to respect the people behind the law and I am a totally law-abiding person but I don't think that we should complicate matters. Take it easy guys and have fun shooting!

Aiya in near future almost all hp came with camera 3MP & above, everyone can take picture OTOT. What the big fuss here...

I too was planning to take photos of MRT stations for the purpose of a website, but never really got down to it precisely because of these conflicting messages being sent out. After glancing through the endless ding-dongs going on above, and from my own reflections, it is clear, that the unclear status of the MRT system is resulting in inconsistent enforcement of rules on the part of private security personal.

We might expect a slightly higher level of consistency on the part of our men in blue in comparison, although admittedly, it may also not be at a level to our personal liking. Aferall, much still lies on the individual officer's personal descretion. Come to think of it, this is probably a better policy to follow when it comes to combating terrorism. Clear cut rules makes their lives alot easier to, just as it does to ours.

centuryegg said:

That is as good as saying "no gold buried here" for a person on top of the gold burial site. ;p

If you are not supposed to know, well, the officers told you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.