Jan 14, 2009
Chinatown
www.surrephoto.com
Surrephoto's Portraiture & Works VI - Bernice

Date: 17th October 2009
Camera: Canon EOS 5D
Lens: Canon 85 mm f1.2L USM

4052745710_c3a96f875a_o.jpg

Testing the ever-so-popular keyline and black bordering. Maybe using such presentation more often in the future.

*Update 28/10/09 - I have re-adjusted exposure (roughly another 2/3 stop increase) and colour in my free time. At the same time Bernice's mole is now visible.

C & C and technical questions welcomed as usual. Hoped you enjoyed this single work.

Last edited:
Hi Mervin, really like the hairlights.

Okay, don't shoot me for saying this - it doesn't help that her bra strap falls on the third. Maybe pp it away and the photograph will be :thumbsup:

*scrams and hide*

Hi Mervin, really like the hairlights.

Okay, don't shoot me for saying this - it doesn't help that her bra strap falls on the third. Maybe pp it away and the photograph will be :thumbsup:

*scrams and hide*

Sometimes bra-straps/messy hair/accidental exposure don't harm a image if it's not drastic... Especially with ample bokeh applied it gave the image some character imho.

But of course that is my personal opinion of my image. :)

Sometimes bra-straps/messy hair/accidental exposure don't harm a image if it's not drastic... Especially with ample bokeh applied it gave the image some character imho.

But of course that is my personal opinion of my image. :)

Okay... I know where you're coming from. ;)

my personal opinions bro.

1. not a good moment. no life is captured from her eyes (it actually even looks abit menacing) even if you add catchlights/managed to get some catchlights
2. her head is protruding too outwards already, and it is made worse because her body is blurred. looks like her head is gonna roll off any time/decapitated.
(it really looks v awkward la)
3. bra strap, still think u shld at least try to PP it away, quite obvious.

not a very nice shot imo. seen better captures from you of bernice.
sad to say, this photo doesnt do justice to her beautiful face at all.

hi:)i must reinforce I have a long way to go with photography technicalities, so please pardon my ignorance as my comments are from an non-professional/ passerby POV.

my humble opinion is that this picture & its colours are aesthetically very pleasing. I thought the bokeh-ing went well as an accent to the soft colours.

this was actually an impromptu shot taken out of pure fun, and my aim while posing is to create some "energy flow"/ movement within the still portrait picture, almost like a "peek-a-boo" effect. thus, Mervin by making the face sharp (others blurred/bokeh-ed), draws a halt to the "moving" effect, freezing the smile within the picture, given that the aim is a portraiture picture at the end of the day. i guess in english lit terms, it's like playing with "binary opposite forms"(blur/sharp) to accenturate both qualities.

[to Sebianos & Cheryl:)] nonetheless,i must apologize for the escaping little finger and strap, but luckily Mervin covered the oversights well.
[to Sebianos:)] Thanks for your pictures at the other threads, very lovely! :)

This entry is pretty long-winded, so thanks for your patience. I spoke up as I feel that it's great also to appreciate art/ artistic interpretation in many different forms too. Of course we must bear in mind technical guidelines to adhere to, which I believe Mervin has never failed to ground in his pictures...

Last edited:
sometimes, when we view a picture... it's view as a whole package... small minor technicalities aside... this is a good picture... though i would prefer it to be maybe 1/3 more expose ;p sorry, bad habit and personal preference.

hi:)i must reinforce I have a long way to go with photography technicalities, so please pardon my ignorance as my comments are from an non-professional/ passerby POV.

my humble opinion is that this picture & its colours are aesthetically very pleasing. I thought the bokeh-ing went well as an accent to the soft colours.

this was actually an impromptu shot taken out of pure fun, and my aim while posing is to create some "energy flow"/ movement within the still portrait picture, almost like a "peek-a-boo" effect. thus, Mervin by making the face sharp (others blurred/bokeh-ed), draws a halt to the "moving" effect, freezing the smile within the picture, given that the aim is a portraiture picture at the end of the day. i guess in english lit terms, it's like playing with "binary opposite forms"(blur/sharp) to accenturate both qualities.

[to Sebianos & Cheryl:)] nonetheless,i must apologize for the escaping little finger and strap, but luckily Mervin covered the oversights well.

This entry is pretty long-winded, so thanks for your patience. I spoke up as I feel that it's great also to appreciate art/ artistic interpretation in many different forms too. Of course we must bear in mind technical guidelines to adhere to, which I believe Mervin has never failed to ground in his pictures...

Bernice!! :kiss:

i tink the DOF (or bokeh?) between her face/head and her rest of her body is abit too shallow maybe? other than this...i find it's a very pleasing picture to look at.

sometimes, when we view a picture... it's view as a whole package... small minor technicalities aside... this is a good picture... though i would prefer it to be maybe 1/3 more expose ;p sorry, bad habit and personal preference.

Thanks alan and all others for their precious comments, though i don't have time now to reply to all of them yet (need to go shoot wedding video now).

And about the exposure, i do agree, the more I look at it the more i feel theres a need for abit of a "brightness" boost. Might be that and not the inherent exposure itself.

Last edited:
In general I think this is rather pleasant portraiture of Bernice. :)

nonetheless,i must apologize for the escaping little finger and strap

There is no need to apologise for it, on your following shots that I had you "adjust" it. Hence saving my time on PP. :thumbsup:

Seems like shot at f/1.2 or f/1.4. The wide aperture of the 85L on FF makes the bokeh creamy or rather too creamy at times till only the head is seen. Maybe step down to f/2 or f/2.8?

Overall a nice smile from Bernice. :D

Last edited:

Hi Bernice, thanks for the compliments.

Will definitely support when you do the next model shoot but seems like you're the trump card every organizer take out when they hit like 18 photographers. :p

And also thanks to Mervin because he didn't laugh (well... at least not in my face) when I said i'm shooting with a Panasonic FZ28. :bsmilie:

Seems like shot at f/1.2 or f/1.4. The wide aperture of the 85L on FF makes the bokeh creamy or rather too creamy at times till only the head is seen. Maybe step down to f/2 or f/2.8?

Overall a nice smile form Bernice. :D

Sorry bro... but due to some incurable syndrome i suffer from, I cannot physically control my muscles to press the shutter at any aperture more than f1.8.... ahhhhh. :sweatsm:

Hi Bernice, thanks for the compliments.

Will definitely support when you do the next model shoot but seems like you're the trump card every organizer take out when they hit like 18 photographers. :p

And also thanks to Mervin because he didn't laugh (well... at least not in my face) when I said i'm shooting with a Panasonic FZ28. :bsmilie:

Why would I laugh! Haha! Any camera is still a camera and able to produce good photographs.

beautiful model... lovely face..

i wonder if you have a contact info?..we definitely love to shoot her too..

thanks..

Why not contact the model directly? There's no need for a third party leh~ :think:

I think you can contact Mike - Candleghost for more details.

Why not contact the model directly? There's no need for a third party leh~ :think:

Depends on model-organiser agreements. Beneficial to all parties including model/organiser/photographer to maintain good ties. Help yourself and also help others.

Depends on model-organiser agreements. Beneficial to all parties including model/organiser/photographer to maintain good ties. Help yourself and also help others.

they (organisers) also not agencies, they (models) are by right free to negotiate

Status
Not open for further replies.