super panaromic shot of orchard rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tot of this question..... Will the cars on the road be capture? How much overlapping per frame from one camera to another? The moving vehicles, especially big double decker SBS bus with demage everything as it is very hard to take all the picture at the same time in split second. Some camera react real slow.

garyteo73 said:
Just tot of this question..... Will the cars on the road be capture? How much overlapping per frame from one camera to another? The moving vehicles, especially big double decker SBS bus with demage everything as it is very hard to take all the picture at the same time in split second. Some camera react real slow.

Pls refer to previous reply some of us has posted inthis regard.

But thanks for highlighting :thumbsup: .

The objective of the project is to freeze a moment in time and space through photography.

So what ever is in the scence is there because it has to, it a choice, not chance. A car is there because the driver has to be in orchard to settle his/her issue.

If a bus happens to be right infront of your camera and you know that it will be just a blurr as it is out of foucs. You will have to still fire your shot. Reason being "THAT IS LIFE".

denniskee said:
Pls refer to previous reply some of us has posted inthis regard.

But thanks for highlighting :thumbsup: .

The objective of the project is to freeze a moment in time and space through photography.

So what ever is in the scence is there because it has to, it a choice, not chance. A car is there because the driver has to be in orchard to settle his/her issue.

If a bus happens to be right infront of your camera and you know that it will be just a blurr as it is out of foucs. You will have to still fire your shot. Reason being "THAT IS LIFE".

You might not get my point. Blur image is okay, just need a higher shutter speed. My point is, after so much preparation on film, lenses, camera etc., the image is not able to join well as there are too many fast moving objects and there is no way to take all the pictures at the same time.

garyteo73 said:
You might not get my point. Blur image is okay, just need a higher shutter speed. My point is, after so much preparation on film, lenses, camera etc., the image is not able to join well as there are too many fast moving objects and there is no way to take all the pictures at the same time.

I do get your point, it was the 1 few conderations :) .

All "shooter" & "backup photog" will sync their watch. As such, the time laps will be less then 1sec, provided everyone keep to the timed interval :thumbsup: .

Pls, if anyone are not comfortable with certain issue and felt it will post problems. Kindly highlight to me in this thread. Remember, this is a group effort.

denniskee said:
I do get your point, it was the 1 few conderations :) .

All "shooter" & "backup photog" will sync their watch. As such, the time laps will be less then 1sec, provided everyone keep to the timed interval :thumbsup: .

Pls, if anyone are not comfortable with certain issue and felt it will post problems. Kindly highlight to me in this thread. Remember, this is a group effort.

Yes, say if we have hundred cameras there, hundred cameras will be fired at the same time, provided the watches are accurate enuff which i dun think it is an issue. A stop watch is better in this case, hundred people start counting at one go and fire every ten/fifteen minutes interval.

dun think if there is any "fast" moving vehicle can be faster than 1/200s, 1/500s etc in Orchard Road though, Superman perhaps. LOL :bsmilie:

yeah.. agree with sumball... even a ferrari can't move that fast at that time at orchard road...

another consideration will be DOF... where do we focus????

I am going to orchard this saturday 9:00am to co a preliminary study. If anyone wants to join me, you are most welcome.

Will sms or call u if i am able to make it? what time u will stay till?

denniskee said:
As for metering, Can the pros pls give us some advice. My objective is to freeze a moment in time, so I think is ok for 2 adjacent image to have a bit of difference in EV. But will that cause difficulty in post processing of the slides and scanning of the slides?

Err, yes, I mentioned this already in the scanning department, your images must be as close to identically exposed as possible. You might be able to rescue different exposes, but firstly it's more work and secondly it's also chancy... you could easily not be able to make a good edit to get it to fit the chain.

Everybody should be on the same focus point and same exposure. This ensures the depth of field stays the same too (and why everyone should use a 50mm lens) and even then, different 50mm lenses have slightly different focal lengths so you're still going to need to do a bit of editing. Everyone should prefocus at the same distance, say 5m, and let hyperfocal carry the focus.

Also, I porpose to do a general calibration of all camera by metering the same subject. But will need a good meter for that. Can someone bring it on both days?

Forget that. As above, one person dictates the light reading. I suggest you wait for either an overcast day or a sunny day, and then tell everyone to shoot at the same aperture. One person can meter the scene at the time of shooting, and as long as you're within close proximity, you can adjust processing if absolutely necessary (for the whole batch).

I think another consideration would be the pavement level where the camera will be situated. Setting a standardised tripod height is not going to help if the pavement varies in level from location to location.

I'm in...

1) denniskee (eos cam - 4, lens covering 50mm - 3)
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75 (eos300D with 50mm/f1.8, and Pentax MZ-7 with 28-90mm)
4) arttl (PM me for the details!!)
5) madmacs (eos - 2, lens cover 50mm - 2)
6) Nathanlogic (eos cam - 2, lens covering 50mm - 2)
7) dolpjki
8) Andi1704
9) weevil84 (eos66, 28-80, 50mm f.14)
10) wingless84 (PM :p)
11) tagore (PM me time and date +arrangements) Dynax 800si 50mm F1.4
12) nostalgia
13) sumball
14) acetylcholine (pending the shooting dates)
15) vagabond (pending time & date)
16) di0nysus
17) tempest (pending date+details)
18) quekky
19) keithjhee (eos cam - 2, lens covering 50mm - 2)
20) jimtong (need more detail on actual date)
21) Einstein (pending date & details )
22) Gary (2 X minolta X700 + 1 X 50mm, 1 X 35-70; 1 X Nikon F90X with auto timer, 1 X 50mm + 1 X28-70mm) please keep me inform.
23) acrylonithrill [louis] {Hey Dennis, I'll be firing 1 of your camera or use my POS camera...?}
24) Terence (pending date)

sumball said:
Yes, say if we have hundred cameras there, hundred cameras will be fired at the same time, provided the watches are accurate enuff which i dun think it is an issue. A stop watch is better in this case, hundred people start counting at one go and fire every ten/fifteen minutes interval.
i think it may be hard to sync your watches and time it so precisely...

may i suggest that a whistle be used instead? someone centrally located perhaps. give it a try and see how far the sound projects.

Just wonder, if 35mm a better choice? can cover slightly more because I think 50mm is a bit long even on film body.

since there are many digital users here, would u consider to have part of the shot taken by DSLR? May be film users on one end, digital users on the other end, may be can do it on the first trail see if it can work out or not. of cos the lens that they use must compensate to get roughly the same FOV as film body

this way, more CSer can join in the fun and may be can set a world record to have most number of photographers taking pictures at the same time :think:

obviousdude said:
i think it may be hard to sync your watches and time it so precisely...

may i suggest that a whistle be used instead? someone centrally located perhaps. give it a try and see how far the sound projects.

Hmm.. maybe we can start countdown say from 20 secs b4 firing time. We can all sync our watches, but we also verbalise our countdowns so that we can be sure that we're all counting down to the same time. It'll be interesting too to hear one whole row of photogs all counting down Orchard Rd. :bsmilie:

Wai said:
Just wonder, if 35mm a better choice? can cover slightly more because I think 50mm is a bit long even on film body.

since there are many digital users here, would u consider to have part of the shot taken by DSLR? May be film users on one end, digital users on the other end, may be can do it on the first trail see if it can work out or not. of cos the lens that they use must compensate to get roughly the same FOV as film body

this way, more CSer can join in the fun and may be can set a world record to have most number of photographers taking pictures at the same time :think:

there are possible more owners of 50mm than 35mm. Not many ppl own the 35mm as to the 50mm.

Belle&Sebastain said:
there are possible more owners of 50mm than 35mm. Not many ppl own the 35mm as to the 50mm.

dont really need to be 35mm prime

can be 17-40, 28-70, or even 28-200....probably more pple own mid-zoom then 50mm prime....no need to restrict just to one lens right? :dunno:

Wai said:
dont really need to be 35mm prime

can be 17-40, 28-70, or even 28-200....probably more pple own mid-zoom then 50mm prime....no need to restrict just to one lens right? :dunno:

35mm is already wide-angle on fullframe / film bodies - the distortions and whatnots among different brands and types of lenses (zooms, primes, etc) may make it hard to stitch together later during post-processing. I would say there is less variation between 50mm lenses in this respect.

Sounds like a great project! I can't join, but do keep us updated on the progress.

So will Darren be contacting me regarding the consolidating of the sign ups?
Which other moderators or admins will be assisting us :)

To admin/moderator: Please PM me if you are helping. So that i know who to contact. I'll provide my contact details thru PM. :thumbsup:

I'll be assisting Dennis in getting together the registration of photographers and their camera setups. :)

vagabond said:
Hmm.. maybe we can start countdown say from 20 secs b4 firing time. We can all sync our watches, but we also verbalise our countdowns so that we can be sure that we're all counting down to the same time. It'll be interesting too to hear one whole row of photogs all counting down Orchard Rd. :bsmilie:

scary it will be. a scene we will create :bsmilie: .

1) denniskee
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75
4) arttl
5) madmacs
6) Nathanlogic
7) dolpjki
8) Andi1704
9) weevil84
10) wingless84
11) tagore
12) nostalgia
13) sumball
14) acetylcholine
15) vagabond
16) di0nysus
17) tempest
18) quekky
19) keithjhee
20) jimtong
21) Einstein
22) Gary
23) acrylonithrill [louis]
24) Terence

Guys, pls state you equipment in the (critical info) thread.

hahaha.. but the mass countdown will certainly boost "publicity"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.