Studio WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunjack

Jul 6, 2002
Zimbabwe
Visit site
Hi,

I am relatively new to studio photography. Would like to know what is the best way to set the white balance in studio photography? Set to preset Daylight/Auto or 5500k Kelvins? Or use a manual grey card preset?

It depends on your light source. The easiest most accurate way is to manual wb on a grey card.

Hi,

I am relatively new to studio photography. Would like to know what is the best way to set the white balance in studio photography? Set to preset Daylight/Auto or 5500k Kelvins? Or use a manual grey card preset?

Most studio flashes are calibrated at about 6500K or daylight. Check with the owner for more information before you shoot.

Else as you'd mention, do a test shoot with a grey card before proceeding. ;)

use custom WB for every lighting set up changes, the worst setting to use is AUTO.

Oh... I am new to studio shoots. I tried Auto and the pics didnt turn out too far off in colour temperature. How do I set custom WB? Grey card method on the spot? Or post process in Photoshop using a reference grey card for the first pic in every set up?

if the studio lights are the dominant light source, set WB to the temperature of the studio lights... if available incident light is the dominant light source and the studio lights are just to fill shadows, take a custom white balance in available light, and then make sure the temperature of the studio lights match the available light... if not, filter it...

when you using Auto WB in studio, the setting is not lock in, so you may experience in consistent WB in the same set of shots.

setting custom WB has few methods, see which way work best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.