Strobes for Outdoor fashion photography

LenaJ

Sep 20, 2009
Anyone have any idea:

A) What brand of strobe is reliable
B) What Wattage is good for outdoor
C) How many strobes needed usually

is good for outdoor, even maybe night shoots? If i use one strobe can i compensate that with a higher watt strobe head? or is the quantity of the strobes more important?

Thanks guys :)

Anyone have any idea:

is good for outdoor, even maybe night shoots? If i use one strobe can i compensate that with a higher watt strobe head? or is the quantity of the strobes more important?

a) the more reliable brands are like profoto, broncolor, elinchrom.
b) a good wattage would be at least 500w or more.
c) depends on what kind of effect u are creating. some get by with 1. some use up to 10 at a go easily.

for night shoot, again depends on how u want to do it. some use strobe and balance it with ambient. some ppl light up the scene with strobes. try to get more strobes than a super high power one. more flexibility.

if you buy a big strobe with battery pack (eg ranger), be sure to charge and discharge the battery even when you are not shooting. you can adjust the flash power (skyport, elinchrom) on the transmitter (attach to your camera hotshoe). remember to get the right receiver.

if you buy small flashes like SPEEDLITE DIGITAL FLASH YN -460 $80 and group them up, you have to manually adjust the flash power one by one. but you can split them up. you have to get many hot/cold shoe and cords. there is cheap TTL radio trigger from china in the market.

if you want to overpower the ambient, remember more ambient light means more flash power, less ambient light (night) means less flash power.

you need to consider price, battery life, recycling rate and no. of assistants to carry things and buy HEAVY STANDS.

i think 2 strobes is more interesting, the more the better.

Anyone have any idea:

LenaJ,

To find a direction, you need to know and tell us where you want to go, and how you would like to get there.

It might be better if you provided some information, such as your level of proficiency/familiarity with artificial light. There are so many styles and approaches to fashion photography that any kind of answer may be helpful, or not.

What sort of lighting kits do you want to build up? Something hard-core like portable studio flash, or something light and very portable like an off-cam hot-shoe approach?

Indicating your working style/preference, and what kind of BUDGETS you have also helps.

If not, you're just going to get a whole hodge-podge of information that might confuse you. Or very little response, because no one knows what to recommend.

Details details details ...........

If you intend to beat the Noon sun , you're going to need a high wattage flash. however if you're just lighting the subject in the evening even a speedlight with proper reflective umbrella can produce good results.

Hi, I wonder if external flash with softbox use for outdoor is as good as using strobe lights?

In the US, if you say 'strobe' or 'speedlight', they will assume you're talking about a hotshoe flash. If you say studio strobe, they assume you're talking about monoblocs.

In the UK, and most of the rest of the world, if you say 'strobe', they will think you're talking abut the stroboscopic special effects light unit seen in discos. The kind that emits very short bursts of light on and off very rapidly for the 'freeze-stop motion' effect. Your SBs of EXs or studio monoblocs - those are actually called 'flash'.

---

Kenji, which modifier to use depends on several factors. Primarily, what sort of control one requires for a certain look or effect.

The main consideration is not whether you're shooting outdoors or indoors, even though that has some bearing if bounce and reflected light is a criteria, as well as environmental considerations, aka, strong winds etc.

Most photographers just getting into off-shoe work (I hesitate to say 'Strobing') or studio flash will probably experiment with either a softbox or an umbrella.

There's a lot more to artificial light control than just a softbox or umbrella, but those are affordable and fairly easy to start with. In capable hands, those two modifiers could probably cover 50% - 75% of a photographer's needs ... depending on what kind of photography you do, and what lighting styles and techniques you prefer.

BTW, no need to worry or get scared by all the different modifiers you see. Just think of it this way - simply, they help diffuse light, reflect light or concentrate/restrict light. If you take time to study the basics, learning how to see and control light becomes easier.

CHEERS!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725445&page=2

LenaJ,

To find a direction, you need to know and tell us where you want to go, and how you would like to get there.

It might be better if you provided some information, such as your level of proficiency/familiarity with artificial light. There are so many styles and approaches to fashion photography that any kind of answer may be helpful, or not.

What sort of lighting kits do you want to build up? Something hard-core like portable studio flash, or something light and very portable like an off-cam hot-shoe approach?

Indicating your working style/preference, and what kind of BUDGETS you have also helps.

If not, you're just going to get a whole hodge-podge of information that might confuse you. Or very little response, because no one knows what to recommend.

Details details details ...........

hi

i have the same question as the TS also.

I have little experience in artifical light, although i read alot on the topic and have tried studio lighting before.

i plan to get a portable studio flash for location shooting.

budget is low, less than 1k sgd.

no need to over power the noon sun

no need to freeze fast moving subjects..

tks alot

:)

hi

i have the same question as the TS also.

I have little experience in artifical light, although i read alot on the topic and have tried studio lighting before.

i plan to get a portable studio flash for location shooting.

budget is low, less than 1k sgd.

no need to over power the noon sun

no need to freeze fast moving subjects..

tks alot

:)

no need to over power the noon sun - quite possibly can.

no need to freeze fast moving subjects.. - this one very hard to achieve with prosumer flash and also depending on the qpeed of the subject and perpendicularity.

budget is low, less than 1k sgd. Possible ...

Personally I would get a 2nd hand Bowens or Elinchrom 2-light kit which comes complete with everything you need to start. Saves you the problems of 'with dunno which modifier to get' situation.

Look at some of our classifieds here.

CHEERS! :)

no need to over power the noon sun - quite possibly can.

no need to freeze fast moving subjects.. - this one very hard to achieve with prosumer flash and also depending on the qpeed of the subject and perpendicularity.

budget is low, less than 1k sgd. Possible ...

Personally I would get a 2nd hand Bowens or Elinchrom 2-light kit which comes complete with everything you need to start. Saves you the problems of 'with dunno which modifier to get' situation.

Look at some of our classifieds here.

CHEERS! :)

OOPS! Sorry, you dais 'Portable' ... like that, get the Japanese, Korean or MIC ones, which ever is more reliable/available. ;)

OOPS! Sorry, you dais 'Portable' ... like that, get the Japanese, Korean or MIC ones, which ever is more reliable/available. ;)

tks so much for your help.

for MIC i only know jinbei... not sure if they are good... i know nothing about studio flash..

could u kindly name some japan and korean brands?

Outdoor strobes are pretty expensive, so far the ones i've seen are pretty much standard, about 600ws. Should be more than enough.

Most of the time i've seen pp using just one of it plus a reflector, should be able to do most of the work : )

External speedlight plus softbox also quite popular, actually using a strobe and speedlight the concept is pretty much the same : ) if u can handle the speedlight, u can handle the strobe as well. of coz strobe has modelling lights and all... with some advantages over speedlight.

Cheers.

Outdoor strobes are pretty expensive, so far the ones i've seen are pretty much standard, about 600ws. Should be more than enough.

Most of the time i've seen pp using just one of it plus a reflector, should be able to do most of the work : )

External speedlight plus softbox also quite popular, actually using a strobe and speedlight the concept is pretty much the same : ) if u can handle the speedlight, u can handle the strobe as well. of coz strobe has modelling lights and all... with some advantages over speedlight.

Cheers.

hi

when u say speedlight, u r refering to those small external flash like Canon 580 EX or nikon's SB900 right?

the advantages of strobe will be the modelling light and it is more powerful i guess... but i think the modelling light will really be very helpful.. it will save a lot of guessing...

Yeap, external speedlight, lol last time i used to call them small flashes, when 580exii is out.. i tot they r too powerful to be called small LOL!

Ya modelling light will be useful of coz. Hmm if u r one of those who have played with speedlites a lot, then it shouldnt be of a problem though.

hi

when u say speedlight, u r refering to those small external flash like Canon 580 EX or nikon's SB900 right?

the advantages of strobe will be the modelling light and it is more powerful i guess... but i think the modelling light will really be very helpful.. it will save a lot of guessing...

Yeap, external speedlight, lol last time i used to call them small flashes, when 580exii is out.. i tot they r too powerful to be called small LOL!

Ya modelling light will be useful of coz. Hmm if u r one of those who have played with speedlites a lot, then it shouldnt be of a problem though.

hi

tks alot... :)

i will experiment with the "small" flash first .. haha...