Strobe For The Holidays: Intermediate Lessons

Baracus

Mar 24, 2008
The Far East
Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm planning to hold another strobist class this May Holidays. (1st or 2nd and/or 17th)

Since I've completed several DIY modifiers since the last class (striplight, beauty dish, ring light), it might be a good idea to try them out and see the different effects as well. I will also be showing some before/after pics of my work to illustrate that I suck at getting things right in-camera, and how to salvage as best as I can. ;p

As usual, feel free to bring along your lighting gear/accessories to try out more complicated setups.

I will put up an interest check first to see the response before going ahead with the class. I need at least 3 people to start. (1 model, 2 assistants) Oh yeah, this is also a tryout for being my shooting partner/assistant for a couple of photoshoots I have lined up in June.

1st (3pm+) or 2nd May (if I get off on 2nd)
Fort Canning/ Botanic Gardens

17th May
(Morning/Late afternoon)

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm planning to hold another strobist class this May Holidays. (1st or 2nd and/or 17th)

Since I've completed several DIY modifiers since the last class (striplight, beauty dish, ring light), it might be a good idea to try them out and see the different effects as well. I will also be showing some before/after pics of my work to illustrate that I suck at getting things right in-camera, and how to salvage as best as I can. ;p

As usual, feel free to bring along your lighting gear/accessories to try out more complicated setups.

I will put up an interest check first to see the response before going ahead with the class. I need at least 3 people to start. (1 model, 2 assistants) Oh yeah, this is also a tryout for being my shooting partner/assistant for a couple of photoshoots I have lined up in June.

1. JinG14 ( Assistant ) ( Model - if u need a fat one )

17th May
(Morning/Late afternoon)

Is this open for all cameras or pentax only?

Is this open for all cameras or pentax only?

Actually, I don't mind other brands joining in, as long as it's someone I've met before or can get along with.

This is more of a sharing/tcss session rather than proper workshop, so it's just a quick rundown of setups with lots of experimentation. If you are fine with that, than come on down. :)

If you'd like, do bring some examples of shots you'd like recreated and I'll try to replicate it as best as I can. (Granted I have the right tools)

Hi Guys/Gals,

Since I've completed several DIY modifiers since the last class (striplight, beauty dish, ring light), it might be a good idea to try them out and see the different effects as well. I will also be showing some before/after pics of my work to illustrate that I suck at getting things right in-camera, and how to salvage as best as I can.

2.dashbodz(Assistant) (Model-not particularly good looking but i have interesting hairstyle)(1st may)

17th May (Morning/Late afternoon)

Baracus said:
Actually, I don't mind other brands joining in, as long as it's someone I've met before or can get along with.

This is more of a sharing/tcss session rather than proper workshop, so it's just a quick rundown of setups with lots of experimentation. If you are fine with that, than come on down. :)

If you'd like, do bring some examples of shots you'd like recreated and I'll try to replicate it as best as I can. (Granted I have the right tools)

Im fine with all that you have said. Im an aspiring strobist (still learning) and i want to learn more on this craft and i want to know how others do strobes.

Im a person who can get easily along with so i guess im in? I'll just include my name on the list. Thank you sir.

Hi Guys/Gals,

Since I've completed several DIY modifiers since the last class (striplight, beauty dish, ring light), it might be a good idea to try them out and see the different effects as well. I will also be showing some before/after pics of my work to illustrate that I suck at getting things right in-camera, and how to salvage as best as I can.

2.dashbodz(Assistant) (Model-not particularly good looking but i have interesting hairstyle)(1st may)
3. wolfbomb (assistant) (model? :D) (1st may)

I use strobe alot to take picture. I am a person who can get easily along with ppl so I will include myself in :)

Hi Guys/Gals,

3. wolfbomb (assistant) (model? ) (1st may)
4. fun2snap (assistant) (1st May)

Thanks all for the interest. :)

Slots are still open. If you are too shy to sign up here, just SMS/PM me.

I'll finalize the Sunday details by Saturday afternoon, so check back on this thread by then.

interested in joining but cant make it for 1/2 May. Not sure if i can get away from work on 17. if u r changing the date for the 17 May session to weekend let me know i can join and be assistant. i have a metz 50

would love to check out ur light modifiers as i do not have any

The finalized details for this Sunday

Date: 1st May
Time: 3:30pm
Place: Fort Canning (Main building)

3. wolfbomb (assistant) (model? ) (1st may)
4. fun2snap (assistant) (1st May)

My HP is 94704072

btw my equipment is only kr+lens + metz 50 + trigger / receiver...
sad to say i got no stand or umbrella. but when times come.. i will buy a set. =P

A big thanks to Jing, Nimrod, Dash and Victor for attending my "class". You guys make great assistants/models. :lovegrin:

While the surroundings weren't to my liking, (who knew there'd be 2 big events) you guys made up for it through your enthusiasm and willingness to experiment. I'm still deciding which photos to show, since I'm seeing a couple of mistakes throughout... :sweat:

The May 17 session is still open and waiting for applicants. ;)

I am eagerly waiting for the photos :)
Thumbs up for taking the initiative to organize this.

I am eagerly waiting for the photos :)
Thumbs up for taking the initiative to organize this.

Me too ... Bro , sorry that I can't join in .... Wife/son back , really difficult . sorry :(

it is shag but fruitful outing. thx barcus. thx god i didnt sprain my neck.

Sorry for the wait guys. Here is a sample from the session.

5712837721_4ea64f4ec3_z.jpg

Which was extracted from this JPEG

5715846920_2d01400558_z.jpg

Yes. I do suck getting it right in camera. Pretty close to what I had in mind, except for the uneven light blotches on the wall. (I could dodge/mask the area, but it's too much work) And yes, flare was intentional. ;)

I'll be taking a break on Vesak Day, so I'll consider moving the class to the Pentaxian outing on 21st(?) instead.

Last edited:
how do u pp this pic..
even i put fill light on the dark background.. i still cant manage to see my face properly

Sorry for the wait guys. Here is a sample from the session.

5712837721_4ea64f4ec3_z.jpg

Cool!
Got anymore?

Maybe a snoot/grid of some sort might help throw controlled lighting on the front.