Street photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on cs much, think it's time to contribute something.

how about a local contact?
There's always something about his pictures that unique, and/or odd. That requires good seeing, and he's one of the few in sg who's got that.

Gary Gumanow
I think he's focusing on moving masses. While Markus Hartel's works tends to be more realistic, Gary's characters are usually more odd.

Very nice page. I was attempting some play with strong light a couple of days ago to try something different. Didn't turn out very well. I underexposed my picture by -1ev on my grd2 but it seen to me there's plenty of dodge and burn involve?

I am quite curious about the techique. Great link. Time to do some reading.

Thanks for the links archlover and Dry Box! Both are very informative. I like the pictures very much, especially the local context. :thumbsup:

how about a local contact?
There's always something about his pictures that unique, and/or odd. That requires good seeing, and he's one of the few in sg who's got that.

this guy is seriously good. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

not really sure if that's street photography

to me, most of his works are abstracts :dunno:

Yeah, they're a mixture. But a lot are in the various flikr street photography pool though. The one entitled "Leaving" reminds me a lot of Yapster's shot of the guy reading under the F1grandstand in CS Streets gallery. :think:

Yeah, they're a mixture. But a lot are in the various flikr street photography pool though. The one entitled "Leaving" reminds me a lot of Yapster's shot of the guy reading under the F1grandstand in CS Streets gallery. :think:

He took pictures of strangers from sometime, and does some nice portraits, some posed, some not, though he has a very large pool and I did not view the ones before june 08.

I do not see him as a street photographer. Take a look at HCSP to see what really is.

I think the general issue is that most people still do not have a clear idea what street photography really is. I used to think I was doing street photography when photographing people, but a lot of them are actually just pictures of strangers on the street with only a handful impactful enough(just) to break out of the mould. I posted them to groups which think those are street photos, but they are groups for viewers who thought it is, when in reality is not.
This was the page of photos which Markus Hartel notices my works and make me a contact:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geraldlj/page4/
Compare my old page to this image of his:
2472998120_5a1a054e69_o.jpg

Apart from the gimmickly color processing that I use, do you notice any difference?
I copied his shooting style, work about the same distance and shoot fast. Though I realize... Markus is always photographing something more than most of us.

Street photographs have more depth. I think a magnum article says more than I could.
http://blog.magnumphotos.com/2008/10/environmental_photography.html
If you think the article doesn't apply, think again.

PS: take most groups on flickr with a grain of salt. That goes with interestingness and number of comments and favs, especially when it comes down to street photography because most people are just as clueless.

Last edited:
great example of "waiting for something to happen". i imagine he must have seen the boy running towards him and anticipated something interesting to ensue. super timing.

Yes, timing and also framing. Timing part anyone can do(especially with continous shooting mode these days), framing and anticipation is probably the tricky bit which most of us would be unable to do... and have to crop. :bsmilie:

Some of the better street photographers seems to be journalist. persimmonous.jp is one of them.
Here's it's(it says it's a mammal) stuff to be featured on HCSP recently:
2880156145_6bc9e7eb19_o.jpg

I really like how persimmonous view the quirky street of Japan. Check out the entire stream and not just the front page, you won't regret it.

i guess there's no harm to view and admire street photos.
But it's harmful if a street photo is viewed from a single point of view, or for just a 'moment'.

Every element in a street photo is important.

For eg: this post by Dry Box:
1. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4429420&postcount=110
Notice the contrast between the jumping boy and the ppl ard him.

2. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4417147&postcount=109
Notice how the lady's expression and attire is in contrast with the ppl in the background.

3. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4434059&postcount=112
Notice how forms & elements eventually lead the eye to the man on the right.

hmmm...i think you guys should look at eastern street photogs too ... eg Fan Ho & Lancey (CS)

persimmonous.jp is a eastern photographer.

Lancey's stuffs are great. As he post on streets and candids section from time to time, I do not think he would need much intro.

1. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showp...&postcount=110
Notice the contrast between the jumping boy and the ppl ard him.
It's interesting to me, because the people in the more visible part of the frame actually pays no attention to the erratic behaviour. It's a little bit more.

PS: maybe I should just say, the entire frame makes it interesting, and not just the jumping boy. To me the highlight isn't about the boy's action.

Last edited:
Some of the better street photographers seems to be journalist. persimmonous.jp is one of them.
Here's it's(it says it's a mammal) stuff to be featured on HCSP recently:
2880156145_6bc9e7eb19_o.jpg

i really like this one.. to me, it says more than just little kids and a man sleeping on a train. it could be a quirky jibe at the attitudes of east versus west to each other, the relative youth in terms of modern development.. the list goes on. :) there's definitely a certain kind of humour in there that i can appreciate.

Lancey's stuffs are great. As he post on streets and candids section from time to time, I do not think he would need much intro.

i like a lot of lancey's stuff, but some of the series, i really cannot understand. i guess it's deeper than i can appreciate, perhaps.

bumping this thread up

just a reminder that it is the man, not the camera, to a large extent ;

nick turpin is being sponsored to go around the world, directed by people where to go and what to shoot, and he's coming up some really sweet pictures even with just a simple handphone camera.. :)

the photographic adventures of nick turpin. love the pisa and the space shuttle one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.