Storing MiniDV tapes & DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ns0mn1a

Sep 26, 2006
Hi guys, I'm new here. I have some MiniDV tapes and DVDs that contains precious videos of my loved ones from years ago and I'm thinking of investing in a dry cabinet to store them. I read somewhere that it's not safe to put them in dry cabinets cause it will dry up the tape and make them brittle...is this true? Please advise where I can store them safely and what sort of Relative Humidity (RH) I should set for MiniDV tapes & DVDs if storing in dry cabinets. Thank you.

40%RH -55%RH
Still cameras, video cameras, lens, microscopes, telescopes, negatives, tapes, videos,
slides, microfilms;
Various optic products, CD, DVD,VCD, hi-fi stereos, computer products, books, ancient
paintings, coins, stamps, money, art works.

30%RH-40%RH
Precise metal materials, electronics, pottery and porcelains, semiconductors, PC boards;
various precise instruments, metallic musical instruments, clothes, leather, gold and
silver; various treasure collections.

Under 30%RH
Herbal medicines, tea leaves, seeds, spices, pollen, medicinal materials, chemical raw
materials.

http://www.luckybrotherstrading.com/faq.html

I've already back-up my DV tapes contents to DVDs so I guess I'll be storing them both in a dry cabinet @ 40%RH -55%RH then. Just to play extra safe, I think I'll back it up to HDD as well. Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.