Stock Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakThru

Oct 27, 2004
Greetings to all,

I am wondering if anyone would like to share their experience about selling their pics via Stock photography agencies. Also, if there are any good stock agencies/websites to recommend for those interested in making some bucks with their pics.

General opinions are also welcome.

Thanks & best regards

BreakThru said:
Greetings to all,

I am wondering if anyone would like to share their experience about selling their pics via Stock photography agencies. Also, if there are any good stock agencies/websites to recommend for those interested in making some bucks with their pics.

General opinions are also welcome.

Thanks & best regards

I have said this in a previous post, hope it helps:

Hey, im doing a bit of stock photography and i mostly use RF (royalty free), all the RF sites can be used with the same pics, the biggest and best probably are:

ShutterStock
iStock
Fotolia
Dreamstime
CanStock
123 Royalty Free
Big Stock

But be prepared, if you are serious about sticking with stock, it has the ability to take up alot of time, for example keywording uploading and submiting say 100 images from a days shoot could take basically around 4 hours on the computer, depending on internet speed etc etc

If you want more advice then feel free to pm me.

Hope this helps, and good luck in Stock!

Taken from this thread

Just curious to know, what kind of pictures are in demand. Sceneries, wildlife, birds, sports, travel, etc?

smallaperture said:
Just curious to know, what kind of pictures are in demand. Sceneries, wildlife, birds, sports, travel, etc?

Some sceneries are top sellers, but there seems to be a large demand for posed model shots with alot of negative space, also anything to do with the internet (picture of someone on a computer etc).

stock agencies periodically update their contributors the categories of images that are in demand. which is helpful - diff agencies have diff niches, what could have been a top-seller in agency A might be a reject in agency B.

most of the photos in demand are those u tend to see in recruitment ads....check out the back page of recruit....stuff like that...

like a group of pple celebrating...etc..

Thanks to all for your posts, especially wildstallion. Very much appreciated. I guess I should polished up my search function skill a lot more as I tried to search but found nothing then... thats why post to seek opinions and comments. Thanks for your patience in answering my queries.

I recently signed up under a yahoo group where ppl from around the world gather to discuss about stock photography. It seems that Shutterstock is very tough now as many had mentioned that this agency rejects all their images where others accepted them.

I have another question in mind. Some agencies have operations at different countries and the pay out is in different currencies. So does that means submitting the pics to UK earns one more than submitting to US cause the currency difference is there?

Thanks once again.

BreakThru said:
Thanks to all for your posts, especially wildstallion. Very much appreciated. I guess I should polished up my search function skill a lot more as I tried to search but found nothing then... thats why post to seek opinions and comments. Thanks for your patience in answering my queries.

I recently signed up under a yahoo group where ppl from around the world gather to discuss about stock photography. It seems that Shutterstock is very tough now as many had mentioned that this agency rejects all their images where others accepted them.

I have another question in mind. Some agencies have operations at different countries and the pay out is in different currencies. So does that means submitting the pics to UK earns one more than submitting to US cause the currency difference is there?

Thanks once again.

So far ive only come into contact with American based stock agencies, so all payouts are in USD, which i quite like.

To answer your question, it may earn one more money, but my guess is that the price in USA will be more expensive then the price per photo in the UK in order to balance out the exchange rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.