Sto-fen not as amazing as advertised!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysum

Apr 18, 2006
I was hoping to get all your opinions on this matter. It's really annoying to me that my flash seems to make pictures more pleasing to me with the diffuser off when this product was strongly advised on multiple websites as the no1 thing you must get for your flash.

I am hoping that it is because I am not using it in the right scenarios (but then again it is said to be a "general" light diffuser). My best example of where it fails is when I take pictures of soft toys with "fur" like teddy bears - without the diffuser on, the shadows produced by the fur is actually desirable. For toys that are less furry, it also tends to "white-out" my subjects!

As we all should know - in lighting the shadows produced is as important as the areas that need to be lit. I hope that you guys can convince me I didn't waste all that money on this stupid piece of plastic!

Thanks!

1. the problem is with the user, not the equipment.

2. if you prefer your flash without it, then just take it off.

3. we can't advise you anything if you don't post sample photos.

advertisement mah...where got ppl say "this is the 2nd/third thing you get for your flash"? Anyway pleasing to your eyes might be the opposite to others too. You may want to show some sample pic for comparison and describe what's your setting.

To me diffuser makes lighting more soft but again how well it diffuses depends on what diffuser you use. Sto-fen? Lambency light bowl? Softbox? Big card reflector all have different effects/purposes.

I am using Lambency light bowl now and Stofen in the past. I prefer light bowl's diffusion but Stofen's advantage is its small size, easy to keep compared to light bowl in a camera bag/flash pouch.

Nobody says a single diffuser works for all situations. That's why there are many different light modifers out there.

I was hoping to get all your opinions on this matter. It's really annoying to me that my flash seems to make pictures more pleasing to me with the diffuser off when this product was strongly advised on multiple websites as the no1 thing you must get for your flash.

I am hoping that it is because I am not using it in the right scenarios (but then again it is said to be a "general" light diffuser). My best example of where it fails is when I take pictures of soft toys with "fur" like teddy bears - without the diffuser on, the shadows produced by the fur is actually desirable. For toys that are less furry, it also tends to "white-out" my subjects!

As we all should know - in lighting the shadows produced is as important as the areas that need to be lit. I hope that you guys can convince me I didn't waste all that money on this stupid piece of plastic!

Thanks!
if you know what is the theory of how sto-fen omni-bounce works, you should know when to use and when not to use.

All I can say is... read up on flash. Sto-fen diffuser just act as an agent to diffuse the light source so that it will not be that harsh on your subject.

And like what others had say, maybe a picture or two will help us 'convince' you that you have not waste your money.

The stofen is on the bottom of my list due its inefficiency (lots of wasted light). It works best in small rooms where the light can bounce off all 4 walls to create the optimum diffusion.

After using various flash modifiers (omnibounce, various lumniquests, gary fongs) for a long time I've come to the conclusion that the velcro + white card bounce card is still the cheapest and most effective diffuser.

a flash is perfectly usable without a light modifier if u know what u're doing and what u want.

plonking on a modifier like the stofen and expecting magical results from it for every situation is simply being unrealistic. :)

u probably didn't waste your money. but u do need to know how and when to use it, and when not to use it.

also, please post some pix so we know what u're talking about. using words to describe a picture is just :dunno:

I think you need to learn to use different diffusers at appropriate situations.
A Stofen is not a cure all for strobing needs.

That said, I seldom use one as I prefer a more directional light bounced off walls. When a stofen is used (bounced), its too even to my taste.

Stofen do one thing - spread flash everywhere like an bare bulb.

Lightsphere do two things - spread flash 360 round with the top lid on, or spread flash 360 round plus ceiling bounce with the top lid off.

How you use that to create amazing photos, depending on how amazing you are with flash.

Is the Canon 600D (or any other DSLR) as amazing as advertised? :bsmilie:

Yes, if you know how to use.

Don't know how to use, might as well pass to a toddler. :bsmilie:

I use the flash with and without the diffuser in accordance to the situation. Sto-fen was pretty good.

Why? cannot mount meh? :eek:

Can... use some super glue, hot melt, double sided tape and/or rubber band, then can mount to your IXUS lor. The problem is plying it off later on might be a problem :D

Status
Not open for further replies.