Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
toilet5.jpg

cant tell its toilet paper leh

wainism said:
cant tell its toilet paper leh

that's not the point of the picture...

or rather, yea! that's the point! you are not supposed to know its a piece of toilet paper! =)
u only know because i said so in the title!

haha..my bad...

but its too abstract for me, cause i dunno what is it...

looks spooky though :sweat:

yup, looks very spooky, will be worse if the black were red :bigeyes:

somehow looks like Jason from the Friday the 13th for me...

This pic doesn't look abstract or artistic at all.
No purpose.

Too abstract for me to appreciate...

Rev said:
Too abstract for me to appreciate...
i do appreciate your comments though =)

but just wondering, at which level of 'abstraction' does your appreciation kick in? =P

heartrobz said:
No purpose.
your comment is very abstract!

seems to me perhaps you were looking for, or expecting something, but you were unable to find it?

but it does serve a purpose for me! =) it's part of my a-picture-a-day project and i have a quota to meet! :bsmilie:

seriously, i am interested in learning how to explore 'ordinary' everyday objects (which we take for granted) to be 'seen' in another light, and every different reactions generated from the resulting imagery contributes to that exploration.

thus, thx for all the comments so far

heartrobz said:
No purpose.

very helpful... :nono:

Abstract: Having an intellectual and affective artistic content that depends solely on intrinsic form rather than on narrative content or pictorial representation: abstract painting and sculpture.

An abstract work does not serve any one meaning or purpose, and could be interpreted differently by different people, and therefore by you commenting that it has 'no purpose' further reinforces the work as being abstract.

i am no expert on abstract work, but such negative remarks does not help at all. you might say giving comments such as 'good job' or 'well done' is not constructive, but positive words of encouragement are always better than negativity.

as for me, i liked how you went to burn out the highlights, which made the tissue pretty much unrecognizable. the overall composition somehow reminds me of hills or sand dunes, with the black patches like boulders or rocks..
my suggestion would be that next time you post an abstract work, try not to mention what the object it is, as many would preconceive how it should look like, and probably diminish the abstract nature you intend to convey.

Patryk said:
very helpful... :nono:

Abstract: Having an intellectual and affective artistic content that depends solely on intrinsic form rather than on narrative content or pictorial representation: abstract painting and sculpture.

An abstract work does not serve any one meaning or purpose, and could be interpreted differently by different people, and therefore by you commenting that it has 'no purpose' further reinforces the work as being abstract.

i am no expert on abstract work, but such negative remarks does not help at all. you might say giving comments such as 'good job' or 'well done' is not constructive, but positive words of encouragement are always better than negativity.

as for me, i liked how you went to burn out the highlights, which made the tissue pretty much unrecognizable. the overall composition somehow reminds me of hills or sand dunes, with the black patches like boulders or rocks..
my suggestion would be that next time you post an abstract work, try not to mention what the object it is, as many would preconceive how it should look like, and probably diminish the abstract nature you intend to convey.

thank you patryk

no worries there, in no way did i view heartrobz's comments as being 'negative'. everyone is entitled to their own opinions and i welcome that, as long as the poster is willing to take responsiblity for what they said.

on the other hand, i am not particularly interested in actively seeking out 'postive words of encouragement' for my personal images as i believe 1) i cannot and don't want to, please everybody 2) i make them for myself and main priority is me,me,Me! :bsmilie:

that is not to say, i have disregard for critiques and comments. everything contributes to the exploration, just a matter of keeping an open mind and being critical and aware of accepting them.

regarding this particular piece, it's part of an ongoing series i've 'discovered' and trying to develop in the course of my apad project with my gf. although not unique and original, i took the term 'abstraction' quite literally in a straightforward manner, applying it photographically. by removing extraneous parts and layers of the primary image until i see a secondary image appearing. and this is what i think i 'see'. a portrait of a piece of toilet paper!

for now, the removal techniques i'm using are quite crude and rudimentary, mostly tru the usage of digital desaturation, curves and contrast (one of the rules i have with my gf is we try to stick to using our digicompacts). hence,the inherent appearance of noise/burnt highlights etc. hopefully i would be satisfied enough to refine without having to develop fanciful techniques, as i felt that would defeat the purpose of my 'literal abstraction' project.

on the bigger view, i'm still trying to work out what exactly i am trying to say thru this exercise :)bsmilie: ) but so far what is interesting is to know how 'abstracted' images like this one manage to evoke strange emotions like 'spooky'. i have a friend who commented it reminded him of a hooded assassin, and archlover mentioned it reminded him of a fictionous serial killer!

Status
Not open for further replies.