Sticky rubber coatings on camera & battery grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper

May 27, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Anyone has any solution for the sticky rubber coatings on camera & battery grip?

And how to prevent it?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Part of the characteristic of aging rubber. To prevent the sticky problem. Upgrade the camera every 2 years or when the next model of the series comes out - Whichever is earlier... ;p

Last edited:
Part of the characteristic of aging rubber. To prevent the sticky problem. Upgrade the camera every 2 years or when the next model of the series comes out - Whichever is earlier... ;p

Thanks. That's one way. :sweat:

Any other solutions/ideas (solving and/or preventing). thanks.

Use gaffer tape...

I would like to get it too cos I have the exact same problem.. but anyone know where to get a good deal for this????

Thank you.

Use body powder (ESP SAF's powder, works best) to neutralise the stickiness in the rubber. Will leave some white residue though. But stickiness will be almost gone.

Part of the characteristic of aging rubber. To prevent the sticky problem. Upgrade the camera every 2 years or when the next model of the series comes out - Whichever is earlier...
According to CSC techs, exposing the camera to high temeratures would result in your rubber grip degrading...resulting in the "sticky" feeling

According to CSC techs, exposing the camera to high temeratures would result in your rubber grip degrading...resulting in the "sticky" feeling

in addition, UV light too.

Hi Bros,

I have had some successes applying thin coatings of "Armour All" on rubberised surface i.e. body/ lens before placing them in the dry cabinet. Prolonged storage in low humidity can dry out the rubber, which can eventually lead to cracks .

You can get "Armour All" from the car care section in most supermarkets and petrol kiosk.

However, the armour all coating can be slippery when apply too much. So take extra care to wipe them off before using. The residue armour all on the surface also helps to protect the rubber from UV during normal use.

Start doing this from the day you use your new equipment and it will stay faithful to you for a long time. Helps with the resale value too :)

Prevention is better than cure I think..

Hmm... searching on the net, found that lots of complaints about Armor All causes cracks in rubber instead of protecting, guess i will do more research before applying...

Hi Bros,

I have had some successes applying thin coatings of "Armour All" on rubberised surface i.e. body/ lens before placing them in the dry cabinet. Prolonged storage in low humidity can dry out the rubber, which can eventually lead to cracks .

You can get "Armour All" from the car care section in most supermarkets and petrol kiosk.

However, the armour all coating can be slippery when apply too much. So take extra care to wipe them off before using. The residue armour all on the surface also helps to protect the rubber from UV during normal use.

Start doing this from the day you use your new equipment and it will stay faithful to you for a long time. Helps with the resale value too :)

Prevention is better than cure I think..

This is an interesting link.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/things/stuff/how-to-remove-a-sticky-surface-from-rubber/

Tells how to remove the sticky rubber... but seems to suggest that most, if not all plastics will degrade (or "melt") over time.

Best is to replace the grip covering altogether.

... well we cant really expect our precious equipment to last forever .. if not how do Canon make money?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.