Starting to pick up photography.

watzzup

Jun 20, 2011
Hi all,

I want to start picking up photography but haven't got my first camera. I've done some research and still deciding on a camera.
I know that these are 2 very different range of cameras, the nikon D5100 and the olympus ep-2 (waiting to see how much the ep-3 would cost) .

The type of photography that catches my attention is b/w shots street photography, candid and low key lighting.
My question is ( not sure whether i'm asking it at the correct section )

How is the picture quality of the ep-2 / ep-3 in low lighting condition, thinking of using it for street at night?
I like the fast focus on the ep-3 and the touch screen to take the photos would fun to take shot up close without the subject knowing.

Is it a good idea to start out trying using a dslr first to get the feel or a micro 4-3rd would do just fine?
Using a dslr i believe would have better quality pictures but i'm afraid , i would get stares like they want to eat me up.

Any opinions appreciated, thank you. :)

Hi Watzzup,

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place for learning about photography! B/W street photography is also my area of interest and I've been trying it out for about 8months. Feel free to check out the Street & Candids subforum!

Anyway, here's a quick opinion on the two cameras. Both the Dslr n micro 4/3 systems are great for street photography, and the tradeoff is lowlight performance(Dslr) vs lighter weight(ep-3). I feel that the performance difference is negligible and not that important for a beginner. The weight difference isn't that huge either, but for after roaming the streets for hours, you will feel every bit of weight on your hands/back.

However, if weight isn't a huge issue, i would recommend the d5100, because I feel that the Dslr forces u to learn about the photography basics more than m4/3, which will benefit u more as a beginner.

I highly encourage u to go to the shops to touch n try both cameras as much as possible before making the decision.

hello ts.. its not about the equipment =x hope u got what i mean haha

Hi, In this case you really need to ascertain your shooting requirements, as you have already stated you want to be unobtrusive so olympus is small and
quiet but sensor is 4/3 smaller than APSC DSLR which means your picture enlargements will also be smaller vis a vis quality but in general picture are usable for various applications like web or magazine or news letter.

Dslr will be a step up in quality but have to weigh the bulk and cost and handling practicality of street photography.On the other hand you can check out
APSC mirrorless interchangable lens systems from other brands which are smaller than dslr.Cost wise still is a substancial investment.Have to consider abscence of viewfinder or attachment convenience compared to LCD. Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome!

Hehe you are like me, new but probably more skillful than me hehehe.
Here is a fun place and you will enjoy yourself here.

My advice is... read the reviews for different cameras then go to the shop and hands on the two camera, see which one suits you better or which one you like best.

Points to know,

1) ergonomic of the camera (placement of buttons, user interface, grips, feels, and general layout of the camera- incl command dials).
2) bulk of the camera (not necessary weigh only... but the overall size)
3) speed of the camera (for street shots, sometime it is really important to have a fast camera with fast lens)

Overall it is pretty difficult for anyone to give you too much advice since different people would have different preference and we are not you, so whatever works for us... might not work for you.

Hi Watzzup,

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place for learning about photography! B/W street photography is also my area of interest and I've been trying it out for about 8months. Feel free to check out the Street & Candids subforum!

Anyway, here's a quick opinion on the two cameras. Both the Dslr n micro 4/3 systems are great for street photography, and the tradeoff is lowlight performance(Dslr) vs lighter weight(ep-3). I feel that the performance difference is negligible and not that important for a beginner. The weight difference isn't that huge either, but for after roaming the streets for hours, you will feel every bit of weight on your hands/back.

However, if weight isn't a huge issue, i would recommend the d5100, because I feel that the Dslr forces u to learn about the photography basics more than m4/3, which will benefit u more as a beginner.

I highly encourage u to go to the shops to touch n try both cameras as much as possible before making the decision.

Thanks for the reply, i've actually touched the ep-2 and the d5100 and was playing with the nikon d60. Still deciding, i believe their both were made for different
purposes, :D

And i'm very sure the ep-3 is going to cost more then the d5100.

Hi, In this case you really need to ascertain your shooting requirements, as you have already stated you want to be unobtrusive so olympus is small and
quiet but sensor is 4/3 smaller than APSC DSLR which means your picture enlargements will also be smaller vis a vis quality but in general picture are usable for various applications like web or magazine or news letter.

Dslr will be a step up in quality but have to weigh the bulk and cost and handling practicality of street photography.On the other hand you can check out
APSC mirrorless interchangable lens systems from other brands which are smaller than dslr.Cost wise still is a substancial investment.Have to consider abscence of viewfinder or attachment convenience compared to LCD. Hope this helps.

Yeah i've seen the samsung nx11, feels good in the hands.
Getting me more confused. :)

Thank you again for all the replies.
I hope to make a decision soon, it's been 2 months of research. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Was at the IT show, their prices were higher then the shop so didn't make a purchase there, i think the free gifts are not worth
the extra 200bucks for the camera, D5100.

Oh.... i remember i read somewhere that our SG IT show is like ' all vendors gathering session and chop carrot'....
Not too sure how true lar cause i not a IT show goer but i only recall that i go there buy hard disk nia hehe

Welcome to this interesting place. Nothing to worry as there will be lotsa nice ppl to guide you along.
Im a newbie myself and are improving everyday jus by reading posts and comments here.
Enjoy yourself buddy!!!

*Side track*

tehcbing : how much you invested for your lens ar?

hehe i only got a 50mm f1.8 canon de. i thought of trying marco but when i read that may encounter snake... i -_-""

hehe i only got a 50mm f1.8 canon de. i thought of trying marco but when i read that may encounter snake... i -_-""

Haha.. No risk no satisfaction.. Actually, there are a lot of way to play with the macro lens.. And im enjoying it.. Maybe can oso join one of the macro outings and learn from all the masters..

Actually hor, starting to pick up photography, i find that i am often lost on what is a overall good lens.
First is to choose either Prime / Zoom
From i read, prime is sharper, zoom gives more range.
Then weight also another.
Then the starting 'mm' thingy simply confused me like no tomorrow. lol
And worse, this few days totally no mood to work. Half the time i am googling and replying in this forum and reading this forum.... LOL

hello ts.. its not about the equipment =x hope u got what i mean haha

Yup, this is also on my mind all the time.
I saw this link from Digital Rev about a japanese photography who takes street. His advice " Any camera will do! "
Post processing is also important.

I'm also think about the lens options before i purchase the camera.

dreamsz said:
Actually hor, starting to pick up photography, i find that i am often lost on what is a overall good lens.
First is to choose either Prime / Zoom
From i read, prime is sharper, zoom gives more range.
Then weight also another.
Then the starting 'mm' thingy simply confused me like no tomorrow. lol
And worse, this few days totally no mood to work. Half the time i am googling and replying in this forum and reading this forum.... LOL

Ur now certified as CS addict, jus like me.. Haha..