Starhub or M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Starhub for over 2 years now. The reception is good, and sometimes I can get signal in buildings when Singtel users can't. But sometimes the opposite is true too.

If you're a Maxonline or Cable TV subscriber, then a Starhub line will be the obvious choice. Pay everything to the same company and get the points too.

Sometimes it takes more than one and a half hours for a sms to reach me from a Starhub user. So far I'm quite happy with M1 coverage and reception... hardly ever any dropped calls.
Also can call/receive call from inside lift/underground etc. with no problems...

Prob you may want to send your complian to M1 instead.

Based on the IDA's report which all 3 operators provides on a monthly basis, it doesn't look as if Starhub have any delays for the past 6 months to either M1 or STM.

I believe it did happen years back but they have come a long way to improve their network capacity.

Prob, u may want to refer to this link for the statistic of the 3 operators.
http://www.ida.gov.sg/idaweb/factfigure/infopage.jsp?infopagecategory=factsheet:pnr&versionid=1&infopageid=I3927

In fact from the stats, starhub is the only operator that have their SMS delivered 100%.

Thanks for the facts.

Was looking at the sms stats, starhub is the fastest sms sender/reciever and is the only 1 which scores 100% own to own sms sent within 20 secs.

My only grouse about starhub is about that traffic congestion thingy. At the last fireworks festival, I could not make an outgoing call even after 30mins of trying due to network busy. But my friend on Singtel managed to make a call thru to me and he was just 50m away from me. Other than those occasions where there is a large crowd, I'm quite happy with the quality and service from Starhub. Maxonline and Cable is great too. Will join HubClub next month. Hope can get more savings.

Anyway OT a bit... do you think the desktop or the laptop offer is more worth it? Am torn in between cos desktop contract cheap, but I prefer laptop only that its $78.80 per motnh. :sweat:

My only grouse about starhub is about that traffic congestion thingy. At the last fireworks festival, I could not make an outgoing call even after 30mins of trying due to network busy. But my friend on Singtel managed to make a call thru to me and he was just 50m away from me. Other than those occasions where there is a large crowd, I'm quite happy with the quality and service from Starhub. Maxonline and Cable is great too. Will join HubClub next month. Hope can get more savings.

Anyway OT a bit... do you think the desktop or the laptop offer is more worth it? Am torn in between cos laptop recontract cheap, and I prefer laptop but $78.80 per motnh. :sweat:

it really depends if you need all that speed. how many computers you have on your network? if you only have one or two computers, the slower one would do. also, remember to read the fine prints. i just called them to recontract, and after reading and reading about the laptop, i spotted some things like 90 days warranty(but there was an option to upgrade the warranty, which of course cost money).

it really depends if you need all that speed. how many computers you have on your network? if you only have one or two computers, the slower one would do. also, remember to read the fine prints. i just called them to recontract, and after reading and reading about the laptop, i spotted some things like 90 days warranty(but there was an option to upgrade the warranty, which of course cost money).

Yah. Am still weighing the matter. The laptop and desktop specs are both average and still have to purchase more warranty for peace of mind. Maybe Sitex they have better offer. See how then.

By the way another Starhub plus is the Digital Voice. Am saving loads from the free incoming and outgoing calls. ;p

Anyone have any idea whats for Singtel's christmass upgrade? If its a laptop, I will wait. :D

Anyway OT a bit... do you think the desktop or the laptop offer is more worth it? Am torn in between cos desktop contract cheap, but I prefer laptop only that its $78.80 per motnh. :sweat:

Here's a little on the technicality of the congestion is based on the load of callers online and what kind of usage as well. Most operators have their cell shared between 2G & 3G/data (MMS) services. For example if that particular cell by default, supports 30 time slots on a 2G basis, but if it is used for 3G it can only support 15 time slots, thus, if at that point of time there are 10 users sending MMS together, there are only 5 more 3G users allow to put a call through & 10 2G users to put their call through. So based on this logic, at the fireworks festival, I guess it is not only 10 - 50 users sending out MMS to their friends over there.

Your friend was really lucky to get their calls through, I had problems as well in such occasion when I was using Singtel services as well, one example is christmas & new year eve, SMS of all 3 operators are congested. I guess not many operators would want to have so much redundancy build into areas also as it is pretty expensive to have their cells capacity expanded for certain occasion.

Here's a little on the technicality of the congestion is based on the load of callers online and what kind of usage as well. Most operators have their cell shared between 2G & 3G/data (MMS) services. For example if that particular cell by default, supports 30 time slots on a 2G basis, but if it is used for 3G it can only support 15 time slots, thus, if at that point of time there are 10 users sending MMS together, there are only 5 more 3G users allow to put a call through & 10 2G users to put their call through. So based on this logic, at the fireworks festival, I guess it is not only 10 - 50 users sending out MMS to their friends over there.

Your friend was really lucky to get their calls through, I had problems as well in such occasion when I was using Singtel services as well, one example is christmas & new year eve, SMS of all 3 operators are congested. I guess not many operators would want to have so much redundancy build into areas also as it is pretty expensive to have their cells capacity expanded for certain occasion.

I agree on occasion, these problems tend to occur.

yes.. it is all about investments and its profits. Imagine.. places like Expo are so dead quiet on weekdays... sometimes no exhibition during lull period. It takes good business sense to rethink about expanding or upgrading the network capacity. Will money spend be able to take back ? if so, how fast and how much ? this is a business world. :sweatsm:

some OT here.

Personally from time to time I subscribe a no contract starhub line for my reservist because if I were to use my M1 line, the phone bill for a reservist month alone will shoot up to near $300 compare to about $150 for the total 3 month starhub bill. I save alot on the free incoming and per second billing.

However for coverage wise, I am happy with starhub's network except to those obscure ulu places and training grounds where you see no signal at all.

some OT here.

Personally from time to time I subscribe a no contract starhub line for my reservist because if I were to use my M1 line, the phone bill for a reservist month alone will shoot up to near $300 compare to about $150 for the total 3 month starhub bill. I save alot on the free incoming and per second billing.

However for coverage wise, I am happy with starhub's network except to those obscure ulu places and training grounds where you see no signal at all.

i think in singapore.. city area should be ok... unless u go into some thick rainforest areas or deep underground or offshore ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.