China, Xinjiang, Sai Li Mu Lake

1d2+Sig12-24@12mm, 986s, f6.3, iso200
GZ2X2787.jpg

1d2+Sig12-24@12mm, 3600s, f6.3, iso100
GZ2X2786.jpg

1d2+Sig12-24@12mm, 3360s, f6.3, iso200
GZ2X2788.jpg

Cool photos.

May I ask a very ignorant questions. Can we get such star trails in Singapore?

Have to take at a dark place I presume so there is no stray lights...Any suggestions?

tltan said:
Cool photos.

May I ask a very ignorant questions. Can we get such star trails in Singapore?

Have to take at a dark place I presume so there is no stray lights...Any suggestions?
yes you are right.
I've not try this in SIN yet, but hav heard people shooting in Pulau Ubin.
did manage to see a sky full of stars when i was there camping in 1996 hahaha :p

I think the below shot is best for me, but feel this could be shot either showing the lake or showing the trees in the background, instead of now, showing half on each side....
Darn, sure nice to have a 12mm for star trails huh....

lhjz said:
China, Xinjiang, Sai Li Mu Lake

1d2+Sig12-24@12mm, 3600s, f6.3, iso100
GZ2X2786.jpg

Pardon my naive question: Why are the streaks not continuously bright, i.e., why are the streaks like short dashes of brightness followed by long dashes of dimness? Shouldn't they be continually of constant brightness?

i tot most of the streaks of light are of CONSTANT brightness?

the only difference is that each streak is of different brightness and that is becos every star is not equally bright :)

There's quite a fair bit of hot pixels in the shots. I suppose that can't be helped when shooting with DSLR. By the way, your 1D2 = 1D Mk II?

Good star strack(hardly seen locally).
Mind to share how u keep the bottom dark and not overexp when
u exposed for 3600sec for this pix?

3600s? Did you use a adapter? I dont think my camera can last for 3600 s.. Unless film ? How you do that? i newbie here..

That's what lhjz states in the #02 pic.

LightStalker said:
3600s? Did you use a adapter? I dont think my camera can last for 3600 s.. Unless film ? How you do that? i newbie here..

ckhaos said:
Pardon my naive question: Why are the streaks not continuously bright, i.e., why are the streaks like short dashes of brightness followed by long dashes of dimness? Shouldn't they be continually of constant brightness?

the star are constant in brightness... i think you mistaken two star trails as a single trail made by one star

1d2=1dmk2

i can't explain the hot pixels. Tried longer exposures in NZ b4 but the hot pixels aren't that significant.

The foreground is actually pitch dark... it will not be overexposed no matter how long you expose it, cos there's NO light at all. it was litted up slightly in my pic becos i shone my torch at it.

most or all SLR or DSLR can hav exposure as long as you want if you hav a shutter release cable but of cos if only your battery can last that long.

Thank you for the explanation.

lhjz said:
1d2=1dmk2

i can't explain the hot pixels. Tried longer exposures in NZ b4 but the hot pixels aren't that significant.

The foreground is actually pitch dark... it will not be overexposed no matter how long you expose it, cos there's NO light at all. it was litted up slightly in my pic becos i shone my torch at it.

most or all SLR or DSLR can hav exposure as long as you want if you hav a shutter release cable but of cos if only your battery can last that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.