Star Idol 2005 - Leann Koh

Status
Not open for further replies.
user111 said:
lol john she wear your own brand of top ;) :bsmilie:

once again, brother john strikes again with super sharp headshots:thumbsup:
Thanks bro...if u r interested, I will jio u next time if u don't mind all the way to Bishan...

hazekang said:
alamak go event nevr jio me :(
I thought u know it already as TV did shown it...I myself know it the day before only thru my client...been busy looking for dopod offers + workloads + parties...etc....wow very busy month man...ok from now onwards, if we know it will sms each other ok?

FYI, 29th Dec 2005 Taiwan new star 'Yang Cheng Ling' will be in Bishan J8 for autograph session again...

Zenten said:
DOF can only be shallower or deeper......and not wider or narrower ......because if you do not use the correct adjectives, you are going to confuse everyone ........ :)
ok la...we still know what he is trying to said...unless we don't even have the basic in photography...

u have any other contestant de phto other than leann!!! like bryan or jac???

with luv~~
Chantrice

Zenten said:
DOF can only be shallower or deeper......and not wider or narrower ......because if you do not use the correct adjectives, you are going to confuse everyone ........ :)

Gee... so all the Nat Geo photogs who use the term narrow/wide DOF should go to grammer school....:bsmilie: Just coz Canon Lens Workbook uses the term shallow/deep dof, does not mean everyone else does.
Heck! I've even heard working photogs used this term.....;p Or even the term Extreme DOF.;)

John Tan said:
Thank for your understanding...but i have to maintain my style as well as client requirement...nice bokeh...

I'm ok dude. As long as your client is happy. I just thought that eikin was being helpful.... Keep posting... ;)

Hmm.. must get every part of the subject in focus meh? I don't think it's that critical lah.

The main attention of the pics is the face and the expression here I think.. which is quite nice here IMHO.

I'm much more jiat lat btw, many times I shoot from the side and only managed to get either the left or right eye in focus :sweat:

Zplus said:
Gee... so all the Nat Geo photogs who use the term narrow/wide DOF should go to grammer school....:bsmilie: Just coz Canon Lens Workbook uses the term shallow/deep dof, does not mean everyone else does.
Heck! I've even heard working photogs used this term.....;p Or even the term Extreme DOF.;)
agreed...anyway rules/terms are set or change by the human...if not there will no art in photography...especially actually day wedding photography...

your water mark make her seem like she's wearing a "john tan" tshirt :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

DT_ said:
your water mark make her seem like she's wearing a "john tan" tshirt :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
hehe...just coincidence....

I think the pictures are alright, the choice of the DOF is really up to the photographer's discretion. To choose a balance between ISO, DOF, shutter speed etc etc, there isn't really like a 'correct' combination. It's up to the photographer what he wants to present.

In this case, as for most celebs photography, the main focus is going to be on the face. I don't think casual viewers are going to be really concerned about the hands. That brings up another point; the intended purpose and viewers of the photos are key factors on how photographers take their shots too. I'm quite sure the majority of fans aren't going to critique the photos like us photography enthusiasts.

Prismatic said:
I think the pictures are alright, the choice of the DOF is really up to the photographer's discretion. To choose a balance between ISO, DOF, shutter speed etc etc, there isn't really like a 'correct' combination. It's up to the photographer what he wants to present.

In this case, as for most celebs photography, the main focus is going to be on the face. I don't think casual viewers are going to be really concerned about the hands. That brings up another point; the intended purpose and viewers of the photos are key factors on how photographers take their shots too. I'm quite sure the majority of fans aren't going to critique the photos like us photography enthusiasts.
Well said...
...either I'm crop away the hand and see only the face
...or use wider angle lens which lost lot of details when blowup
...or use higher ISO which lost some details when blowup
...or use f5.6 & above to get better DOF but having with plain & dark background...etc

I am just wondering which is more important, the FACE or the SHARP HANDS? I will go for face.

I think if John were to focus on her hands using a 300mm at f2.8, her face will be soft/OOF.

John, I will focus on the face myself too eventhough the hands are out of focus. If my client wants me to shoot an event showcasing models or stars, I will go for the face. Hands to me comes secondary. I just do not understand why there is a need to have the hands sharp when the more important part is the face.

Imagine someone shooting your wedding event and only your hands are sharp but the face is OOF. Please take sometime to think about which is MORE important. Sure we all want everything to be sharp but this is an EVENT, not much time to think about it. John is one of the best local event shooter i have seen for a long time. Most important is our images are presentable to our clients.

A 300mm prime wide open at f2.8 has a very shallow DOF. It's like using 85mm f1.4 shooting wide open.

Pro Image said:
I am just wondering which is more important, the FACE or the SHARP HANDS? I will go for face.

I think if John were to focus on her hands using a 300mm at f2.8, her face will be soft/OOF.

John, I will focus on the face myself too eventhough the hands are out of focus. If my client wants me to shoot an event showcasing models or stars, I will go for the face. Hands to me comes secondary. I just do not understand why there is a need to have the hands sharp when the more important part is the face.

Imagine someone shooting your wedding event and only your hands are sharp but the face is OOF. Please take sometime to think about which is MORE important. Sure we all want everything to be sharp but this is an EVENT, not much time to think about it. John is one of the best local event shooter i have seen for a long time. Most important is our images are presentable to our clients.

A 300mm prime wide open at f2.8 has a very shallow DOF. It's like using 85mm f1.4 shooting wide open.
Thanks bro. for your great support...I really glad that we share the same objective especially from a professional photographer like u.

John Tan said:
Thanks bro. for your great support...I really glad that we share the same objective especially from a professional photographer like u.

Me not pro lar....just tan chiak wan...! Hahaha.......you pro lar..

eikin said:
no i haven't, but i can recognise what is a good event portrait and what is not. it doesn't matter what you use, don't you think that you have to find a way to get the hands in focus as well?

har.... He's not even paid to cover the event in the first place and do not have freedom to walk around to shoot. With that crowd, you can end up in lousy spot with whatever equipment you set up for. Even if it needs be to sharp focus on the hands, I strongly believe he knows the way to get around to it. Let him have his fun with his prime lense. It's just a leisure shoot lah....

It doesn't matter what you use? How about a 400mm f2.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.