Standard Photos experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
so if I send to Standard Photo, just tell them 4R and they handle the 3:2 or 4:3.....???

OK just got back my prints from Standard Photo.

Was supposed to be ready only on Saturday, but collected them today.

Print quality is pretty good, definitely no worse than what I had gotten from Colour Lab. At 30% cheaper and no handling charge, as well as the fact that the outlet is much nearer my home, it's a no brainer. All my prints go to Standard Photo from now on. Even the 8R print cost only $4.50 instead of $8-10 at Fujifilm. My B&W glossies are particularly nice.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
OK just got back my prints from Standard Photo.

Was supposed to be ready only on Saturday, but collected them today.

Print quality is pretty good, definitely no worse than what I had gotten from Colour Lab. At 30% cheaper and no handling charge, as well as the fact that the outlet is much nearer my home, it's a no brainer. All my prints go to Standard Photo from now on. Even the 8R print cost only $4.50 instead of $8-10 at Fujifilm. My B&W glossies are particularly nice.

Did you crop your pics or did you leave it to the lab? Which outlet did you go to? Thanks;)

I cropped to 3:2 ratio myself, since it was a mixture of 4:3 shots from my Nikon 990 and 3:2 shots from Canon D30. Also some shots NEEDED to be cropped. I fixed the target size of the crop at 2160x1440.

One shot had a white border put there deliberately (because I like white borders). This was partially cropped out, so it ended up as a very thin white border. I suppose I shall have to put a black box around it if I want to preserve the white border.

The pictures are a little soft (which is how they are when they come out of the D30). I thought printing them on a professional machine would sharpen them a little, but I guess not. They will all need a touch of sharpening. The noise is rather obvious on the shots from the Nikon 990, and those which have been sharpened or oversharpened with unsharp mask.

The colours on the prints are actually better (more life-like) than what I see on the screen. They must have done some colour adjustment (for the non B&W shots). There was one sepia-toned shot which came out as black and white.

I submitted it to the Standard Photo shop at Parkway Parade basement.

G'day Folks,

Here is my report on the receipt of the 2nd batch of digital photos I sent to S'pore Colour Centre for processing.

Sent in: 17 March
Received: 22 March (turnaround of about 5 working days)
Cost: Still 35 cents per 4R (still cannot clock up enough $$$ to qualify for the "Network" card deal - need $150 within 3 months)
Quality: Very good. No visible difference compared to work done by Fujifilm's network.
Qty: Supposed to be 95 only but they printed 2 extra.

Most of my photos were sent in in original 4:3 ratio of 1600:1200. As posted earlier I'm too lazy to do my own cropping but most of my photos have enough gaps to avoid the head chopping scenario. I've cropped some to about 1000:666 pixels and they also turned out very good.

I asked the salesgirl about using the Network card to get 15% discount on digital photos and she flatly told me "NO DISCOUNT!". :(
Could this be different practices between branches?

Would I go back to them? You bet your a** I will! I think they are the cheapest now in Singapore, unless you are willing to do the printing on your colour printer yourself.

Cheers!
Deadly :cool:

Deadly,

heh heh, u recv earlier than u sent..??:what:

anyway, Do u need to tell the lab what to do with the 1600x1200 pics.??

I'm sending in mine this evening...131 prints.

could be different practices at different branches :) glad that you get good quality prints too. I've also recommended Standard Photo and Singapore Color Centre to my colleagues and friends for the digital prints.

Originally posted by GaryNg
Deadly,

heh heh, u recv earlier than u sent..??:what:

anyway, Do u need to tell the lab what to do with the 1600x1200 pics.??

I'm sending in mine this evening...131 prints.

Thanks for spotting the mistake. Correction done!

No need to tell lab about the 1600x1200 pics. I always feel that NO INSTRUCTION is the best. Telling them too many technical requests may blow the fuse of these salesgirls. :)

Originally posted by Deadly

Thanks for spotting the mistake. Correction done!

No need to tell lab about the 1600x1200 pics. I always feel that NO INSTRUCTION is the best. Telling them too many technical requests may blow the fuse of these salesgirls. :)

Ok, this evening going to Clementi to drop in the CD.
Blk 354..?? Unit number..?

Originally posted by GaryNg

Ok, this evening going to Clementi to drop in the CD.
Blk 354..?? Unit number..?

Dunno what unit number but you can't miss it. S'pore Colour Centre has 2 shops there. The standalone is just next to the entrance of the wet market. The main one is at the 2 o'clock position, just 30 metres away (assume coming in from the main road). I usually go to the main shop as it has air cond.. ;)

I sent 35 digital pics to Standard Photo at The Arcade (Raffles Place) one month ago to test their printing quality as recommended by one of the members here in the forum. The result is quite disappointing as compare those I have done in Soo Kee at Raffles Place. I gave 6 out of 10 to Standard Photo for their quality. The color is too light and bright and I have thrown away 7 pics out of the 35 as the result is too terrible.

So far, I have send more than 300 digital pics to Soo Kee for printing and always happy with their result. I gave 8 out of 10 for their quality.

Recently, I have just tried the Ofoto website. I sent about 60 pics for printing. Although the quality is not bad, but taking a closer look, the color is not as rich as those by Soo Kee. I gave 7 to 7.5 out of 10. However, the print by Ofoto is slightly sharper than Soo Kee.

I hope the above info is useful to somebody who wants to sample the few labs mentioned above.

Thank you.
Mozart.

alamak....

how.? SHould I go...??

sigh...

Gary:

If you really wanna try standard photo/singapore color, maybe send in just enough pics which total to $8 (to save on the handling charge) and then see the results before sending in the rest of your pics.

Otherwise you can try fuji epics which is excellent although slightly more expensive. You don't have to crop to 3:2 ratio too.

thanks. I think I will go for epic coz my experience with 35mm Lab was good. sigh additional 20 bucks...!!

This lab in clementi blk 354...

Anyone know the opening hours?

Me wants to try it out.!

Originally posted by Snowcrash
This lab in clementi blk 354...

Anyone know the opening hours?

Me wants to try it out.!

It is opened until 8pm.

GaryNg, if you don't at least try Standard Photo/SCC, then you would not be convinced that they can do a good enough job. Look at the saving$$$.

My one and only experience with EPIC is good but is it good enough to pay a premium. 50 cents for 4R compared to 35 cents? Plus $5 media handling charge compared to $0 if more than $8?? Does not make economical sense to me. Go with Keito's suggestion and I believe you will not regret it.

Agree with Keito and Deadly. Give it a try, Gary. My experience with Standard Photo is very positive. Excellent print quality at a cheap price.

thanks guys, cannot afford to try 131 pics with SCC, so I shall send some not so important pics to SCC to try.

anyway, I can't wait 5 days...

GaryNg,

fotohub is NOT cheaper than Standard Photo/SCC. The 40 cents per 4R is only for a promo period until 14th May.
:p

The online stores in Singapore does not give very good rates. The best one I had was with dotphoto.com where I was given 60 free prints for signing up. Ofoto had a very good promo in the begining where it gave away up to 115 free prints but alas, not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.