sRGB Adobe Rgb Confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallilan

Jan 6, 2006
Singapore
okay im getting abit confused over these 2 things...

was reading megaguide and they did say something about changing the color settings in photoshop from sRgb to Adobe rgd, since it has a wider colour gamut.. it was mentioned here also...

the thing im confused about is...

1. if i change it to srgb to adobe rgb, will i have to change my image to the new format?
2. what about the images im gonna use for web purposes?
3. am i correct to say that adobe rgb is for print and srgb is for screen?

please advice. i think i looked through the posts and other websites and i think im getting more confused... dont wanna screw up entries for the sypa competiton.. :sweat:

If you're unsure, just stick with sRGB.

Converting from sRGB -> aRGB doesn't give you a wider color gamut. sRGB has a smaller colorspace compared to aRGB.

If you want, you should shoot in aRGB and convert into sRGB. Of course you lose some details along the way as you squeeze aRGB's colorspace into sRGB's. Not that significant however.

As for displaying to web, sRGB is good enough. As for printing, most labs still stick to sRGB.

metallilan said:
okay im getting abit confused over these 2 things...

was reading megaguide and they did say something about changing the color settings in photoshop from sRgb to Adobe rgd, since it has a wider colour gamut.. it was mentioned here also...

the thing im confused about is...

1. if i change it to srgb to adobe rgb, will i have to change my image to the new format?

please advice. i think i looked through the posts and other websites and i think im getting more confused... dont wanna screw up entries for the sypa competiton.. :sweat:

Hi metallilan,

Know your destination!
- if you make your own prints, shoot in aRGB (if DSLR allows), work in aRGB, print in aRGB
- if you send to silver halide labs, shoot in sRGB, work in aRGB (Don't convert, let PS translate internally, file remains in sRGB, print in sRGB.

- if you use it for web, save a version in sRGB if file is in aRGB.

- Yes and No.
- aRGB is a nice space for printmaking (home or giclee/inkjet printshops)
- sRGB is for screen (web/video) and Silver Halide Labs.

Hope this clears up some confusions.

Cheers,
nic

Status
Not open for further replies.