Squabble over Michelle Chia's wedding gown design

Status
Not open for further replies.

canturn

Sep 29, 2002
East, SG
www.lyricalmoments.com
Interesting read on IPO for gown design. When I saw some of the prewedding photos in the magazine some months back, I did think that the gown was created by Renee L (have seen quite a number of my couples using her gowns for their wedding).

The big issue is, is there even original design these days? :dunno:

(from http://divaasia.com/article/3586)

Fri, May 15, 2009
The New Paper .The gown that caused a frown
by Kwok Kar Peng

THE celebrity had popped into her shop, took a liking to a diamond-back gown, tried it on and even took a photo of it.

Now the designer of that gown is accusing Michelle Chia of stealing her design for the star's own wedding dress.

The accusation came just days before the Channel 8 host's wedding on Sunday.

Designer Renee Leung said that Michelle had visited her bridal boutique Renee L Collections last November to try on gowns for Channel 8's The Anniversary Show 2008.

That's when Michelle saw the diamond-back gown.

Five months later, Michelle wore a similar-looking gown in a cover of U Weekly, for a report on her wedding.

The gown was one the TV host intended to wear for her wedding.

Ms Leung cried foul.

Michelle, however, denied the accusation. On Sunday, she defiantly wore the dress.

It is understood that both parties have since consulted their lawyers on the matter.

This isn't the first time that the diamond-back design is introduced, said Mr Patrick Chan, who designed Michelle's gown.

According to Mr Chan, chief designer of bridal boutique The Wedding Present, the design had already made its appearance in a Monique Lhuillier gown a few years ago.

The New Paper understands from Mr Chan that the Lhuillier gown had a diamond back and cap sleeves, not unlike Ms Leung's gown.

Michelle's gown instead, features a halter-neck.

An unhappy Mr Chan said he is leaving the issue to Michelle to handle. He also said he thinks Ms Leung is over-reacting.

It is common practice for brides-to-be to refer to bridal magazines for ideas for their own gowns, he said.

Ms Aileen Chow, a bridal dress designer for Golden Horse Awards Bridal & Studio , agreed, and told The New Paper that 'there's no copyright (for dress design) in Singapore'.

She has never heard of anyone copyrighting a dress in her 22 years as a designer, she added.

While it is possible to copy the design of a high-end wedding dress, she said, it won't be an exact replica, because certain fabrics may not be available.

Both Ms Chow and Mr Frederick Lee of Frederick Lee Bridal don't do direct copying from other designers' gowns. They will instead modify the design and inject their own special touches.

Mr Lee told The New Paper that he doesn't register his designs because it's 'troublesome'.

He sounded taken aback when this reporter told him of the accusation by Ms Leung.

His designs, often splashed across magazine pages, have been copied many times as well, he said.

'I have seen staff from other bridal boutiques pretending to be couples and looking through my gowns. People have even told me that they saw gowns with my label hanging in other bridal boutiques,' Mr Lee alleged.

Though hurt initially, the designer of 16 years said he now sees imitation as the best compliment.

'I have to grow immune to it because there's no way to control copying,' he added.

The New Paper contacted the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore last week to ask if it's possible to copyright a dress design, but could not get a reply at press time.

IMHO... the back part of the dress looks ugly. :sticktong

Its kinda like.... Someone sees your photo and starts asking you, "What setting you used to shoot har? Care to share?"

He can try to shoot the exact same scene with the very same setting you had shot with but fails to produce a 100% replica of your photo (especially more so in landscapes where the occasional PSing is required).

i think its more kinda like the wedding photographers getting use to people keep using the their style over and over again etc the heart shape shadow of the ring, the low angle shot of the bride wearing her shoes.

intellectual rights is still very hard to define, unless you can register or patent?? i think we need the lawyer answer on this, ahah.

i think its more kinda like the wedding photographers getting use to people keep using the their style over and over again etc the heart shape shadow of the ring, the low angle shot of the bride wearing her shoes.

intellectual rights is still very hard to define, unless you can register or patent?? i think we need the lawyer answer on this, ahah.

like dat future generation jialat lor...all type of good angles and subjects covered liou, very hard to find fresh view leh.

like dat future generation jialat lor...all type of good angles and subjects covered liou, very hard to find fresh view leh.

nxt time also patent number of shots taken and number of shots given to client...

i'll name my company 300. Then i only give 300 prints... then got package of tier 3/4/8...

then next one who wanna patent can choose either 299 or 301... so on and so forth...

client wanna choose more than 300 will have to do reshoot so i can issue 2 invoice of 300 each.

of coz lucky things like these cant be patented...else, jialat...but copyright wise...hmmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.