Spot Metering For 10D Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffp

May 14, 2004
Siglap
Hi,

Am in potentially destructive mood to achieve something I've wanted for some time now. Anyone knows if it is possible (and how) to re-program the 10D so that it can spot focus? Understand that Canon's "partial" metering covers 9 % of centre. Would like to move to 2%, which I understand is closer to what Nikon/Olympus have.

Thanks.

My guess is that you will need to:

1. Identify the chip doing the AF algo;
2. Reverse engineer the bytecode to figure out how the 10% algo works;
3. Either rewrite the 10%-algo to 2%, or attempt to copy the algo from a 1-series camera.

i doubt you have the hardward needed to identify, read and write these chips. You might want to try emailing the Russians who did the 300D hack. i'm sure they have the equipment.

Oh, just realized there is an easier way. Reverse engineer a firmware patch for the 10D. Since it's just software, it'll be cheaper to change.

The danger is that if you mess up the code, your camera doesn't work anymore and may not be able to patch back.

You'd probably still need to identify the chip responsible for the AF to narrow down which part of the patch code does the AF.

ST1100 said:
Oh, just realized there is an easier way. Reverse engineer a firmware patch for the 10D. Since it's just software, it'll be cheaper to change.

The danger is that if you mess up the code, your camera doesn't work anymore and may not be able to patch back.

You'd probably still need to identify the chip responsible for the AF to narrow down which part of the patch code does the AF.

That doesn't seem too easy as well. :sweat:

well, i think u have to first acertain if the metering is software or hardware limited

As in, the processing for the metering, does it resides on the firmware or is the instruction embedded in the chip ( could be the digic chip, might not be)

IF its hardware limited, perhaps u need a pheripherial chip, something like modding ur ps2 to play friendlies. Again, its problematic, cos u need to figure out a way to encode for spot metering ( which is a trade secret i think...), get it onto a chip, solder this chip somewhere onto the camera and hope it works.

If its software limited, ie, the metering resides in the firmware, it should be easier.
The russian hack for 300d was discovered by luck, they accidently misplace a binary code to enable some of the functions. I dun think u can cut the metering from 9% to 2% tat easily...requires a complete re writing of the code.

If u can do it...i guess u can make a fortune modding any cam below the 1d series..

The hack is actually quite easy. Get a Sekonics spot meter, tape it to your 10D with some duct tape, then use manual mode to dial in the readings. And of course, it's quite easy to undo the hack as well. Just remove the duct tape.

hahahahah...

StreetShooter said:
The hack is actually quite easy. Get a Sekonics spot meter, tape it to your 10D with some duct tape, then use manual mode to dial in the readings. And of course, it's quite easy to undo the hack as well. Just remove the duct tape.
I cant afford the expensive sekonic meter, I will use my eos 5 to spot meter the subject then dial in the settings manually.

Sorry for the OT.:embrass:

sumball said:
I cant afford the expensive sekonic meter, I will use my eos 5 to spot meter the subject then dial in the settings manually.

Sorry for the OT.:embrass:

hmm...eos 5 taped to 10d with duct tape? :think:

Dun forget 2 external flash when you need them, one on the 10D and one of the EOS5...

Good luck... :sweat:

erm, maybe either walk right up to e subject, meter, then walk back and dial in the settings?

or if u lazy to walk.... just use some 300mm or more zoom to zoom in on the area and meter then zoom out (or change lens) and then dial in the settings?

but SS idea is interesting... :think: lolx

Actually given that the 10D is digital, there are really very few instances where there is an absolute need to spot meter and get the shot right the first time. Most of the time i just put it to manual and adjust up or down over a few shots until i get it right.

But the idea of hacking the 10D firmware appeals to me...
greentongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.