Split Focusing Screen.. anyone using it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, i do hope the focus-screen size will be compatible with the k30d!!! else I'll have to let it go at bargin price next time...

Seems like Scorpioh is gonna get a K30D as soon as it's launched....

I think you're not carrot or anything lah.. you're just plain rich..hahahahaahahah...

Remember to let go your K20D at bargain price to me when K30D is launched hor!.. keekekkekeke

Erm, actually I am still using the k10d. And i think I won't be getting the k30d at launch time lah. I always feel that bodies can wait one. And I really am not that rich, just more generous in my photographic hobby that's all. Ha.

Haha your BBB virus is quite serious.:bsmilie:

Those based on K3 should be around $120. For others, should be around $50.

Haha your BBB virus is quite serious.:bsmilie:
I think its almost cured. Left only with the DA15Ltd. I only have a limited LBA (Pun intended).

Last edited:
You should at least upgrade to the K20D. You will be even more amazed what your Limiteds can do with the CMOS sensor. ;)

You should at least upgrade to the K20D. You will be even more amazed what your Limiteds can do with the CMOS sensor. ;)

I really should try out the K20D, FA and DA one fine day...

*I'm happy with my K10D and M and K lenses*
*Repeat ad-infineum* :sweat:

Mmm. Makes that big a difference?

I've 3 limiteds, and I do wonder if my K100D does them justice. But considering I don't print bigger than 4R (and it seems I'm one of the rare few who actually prints his shots, and not just view on screen), hard for me to cough up for it.

Oh yah, am keen on the focussing screen, but seems not have model for K100D :(

I'll probably do that if the k30d drives the k20d to a irresistible price. Also, i can prolong the use of the focus screen and my battery grip.

le petit prince, I've progressed from the K100D, K100D Super, K10D, very briefly the K-m (bought as a gift) and now the K20D not counting an IR modded *ist DL2.

The issue isn't so much about what size prints you generate but the resolution and detail the CMOS sensor delivers. With the high resolution and contrast the Limited lenses are capable off, images that I shot with the 6 and 10 megapixel CCD sensors just don't hold as much fine detail or dynamic range as the 14.6 megapixel sensor. I was sold and made my decision when I saw fengwei's shot of the cat's eye with the K20D. He cropped the image and yet I could see his reflection! Simply stunning performance and opens up the possibility of creative cropping.

The K10D and K20D may look similar but the K20D is much improved in so many ways that I won't even consider it an incremental upgrade. Sensor noise, the bane of digital sensors is much improved, as is colour fidelity, WB accuracy. True it doesn't shoot as fast and the AF is improved a little but coming from an old school background, these are nice to have features but not essential.

scorpioh, one thing I'm pretty sure is looking forward the K20D replacement (whatever it is called) will DEFINITELY cost more than the K20D. A function of the higher yen and global economic outlook.

I think you missed the irresistable price window for the K20D during the Chrstmas/New Year 2008 holiday season when retailers were desperately clearing inventory that was bought at a lower exchange rate. Now, they have to sell it higher because demand is weaker and they simply can't afford to have big inventories.

If the K20D is to be phased out, the situation will be much like what happened with the K10D. In a very short period there were no more for sale or they were withdrawn completely from the shelves. This to ensure the outgoing camera does not undercut the premium price of the new camera. The only way to get the outgoing model was to scour the used section. It will happen again. But this time few will let go of their K20Ds. :angel:

Last edited:
$300 :bigeyes:... i have the katzeye focusing screen... i got mine less than $100 i think...its pretty useful if u have lots of manual lens... it does makes a difference... focusing can be very very fast, but it does not mean its 100% accurate due to the physical distance alignment, might need tiny little adjustment to be 100% perfect, if u take out and put it back, might be off a tiny bit... the tray that holds the focusing screen does not always clip back into the exact same position all the time, a slight um off then its not 100% but good enough most of the time... i got it for my VT125 for faster focusing...

to add salt to ur injury :bsmilie: i have since remove it, its affecting the accuracy of my AF lenses sometimes, and i have live to use the normal focusing screen on manual lens as effective as with the katzeye one... now its siting in my storage box which im contemplating to sell it or not...

anyway since u order liao then use it lor... US economy needs a boost :)
Since u doing a review, do a nice write up like what u did on the Limiteds

Anyway next time its good to ask b4 pull you the trigger... we are all here to help one and other :)

Mmm. Makes that big a difference?

I've 3 limiteds, and I do wonder if my K100D does them justice. But considering I don't print bigger than 4R (and it seems I'm one of the rare few who actually prints his shots, and not just view on screen), hard for me to cough up for it.

Oh yah, am keen on the focussing screen, but seems not have model for K100D :(

Since I have been "forced" by circumstances to upgrade from K100D to K20D, I noticed a significant increase in the details in many of my pictures. This was kind of confirmed when I took the K20D to "reshoot" something I had shot with the K100D, and compared the pictures side by side on the screen (the K20D picture resized to 6MP to match the K100D's image resolution) - the K20D picture contained details that were just so much sharper!

I have no doubts that the Limiteds will really shine when paired with the K20D. So don't wonder: I'm very sure the K100D is not doing them justice! I'm not saying you must upgrade, but there's no need to wonder if you'll really see an improvement in the final output, especially if it's high grade lenses like the Limiteds you're using.

Last edited:
Gengh, you were not forced. It is your Destiny to get the K20D :bsmilie:

I was also sold on the K20D when Creampuff lent me his to take some test shots, with his 43ltd, and wow the details are really more apparent and picture looks much sharper.

Initially, i had my hesitations also when contemplating an upgrade from the GX10(K10D) to the K20D coz it 'seemed' incremental. But hey! the 14mp sensor is a totally different monster altogether...it makes the experience very different. Though the Liveview is basic, it greatly helps in MF with it's magnification view.

Le Petit Prince, focusingscreen.com does have the screens for the K100D too.

Ha, ha, Gengh & hamustar, welcome to Club K20D... ;)

Gengh, you were not forced. It is your Destiny to get the K20D :bsmilie:

Well, you could say that.... But it's completely against my original plan of jumping from the K100D/K10D generation straight to the K30D, and the wait was more than half over already (this summer is the release date?). All the same, no regrets with the K20D. ;) Now I'll start holding out against the K30D and wait for the K40D. :bsmilie:

Ha, ha, Gengh & hamustar, welcome to Club K20D... ;)

Thanks Denis, I'm happy to join!

Last edited:
le petit prince, I've progressed from the K100D, K100D Super, K10D, very briefly the K-m (bought as a gift) and now the K20D not counting an IR modded *ist DL2.

The issue isn't so much about what size prints you generate but the resolution and detail the CMOS sensor delivers. With the high resolution and contrast the Limited lenses are capable off, images that I shot with the 6 and 10 megapixel CCD sensors just don't hold as much fine detail or dynamic range as the 14.6 megapixel sensor. I was sold and made my decision when I saw fengwei's shot of the cat's eye with the K20D. He cropped the image and yet I could see his reflection! Simply stunning performance and opens up the possibility of creative cropping.

The K10D and K20D may look similar but the K20D is much improved in so many ways that I won't even consider it an incremental upgrade. Sensor noise, the bane of digital sensors is much improved, as is colour fidelity, WB accuracy. True it doesn't shoot as fast and the AF is improved a little but coming from an old school background, these are nice to have features but not essential.

scorpioh, one thing I'm pretty sure is looking forward the K20D replacement (whatever it is called) will DEFINITELY cost more than the K20D. A function of the higher yen and global economic outlook.

I think you missed the irresistable price window for the K20D during the Chrstmas/New Year 2008 holiday season when retailers were desperately clearing inventory that was bought at a lower exchange rate. Now, they have to sell it higher because demand is weaker and they simply can't afford to have big inventories.

If the K20D is to be phased out, the situation will be much like what happened with the K10D. In a very short period there were no more for sale or they were withdrawn completely from the shelves. This to ensure the outgoing camera does not undercut the premium price of the new camera. The only way to get the outgoing model was to scour the used section. It will happen again. But this time few will let go of their K20Ds. :angel:
Thanks for the insight creampuff. Think you are very right.

$300 :bigeyes:... i have the katzeye focusing screen... i got mine less than $100 i think...its pretty useful if u have lots of manual lens... it does makes a difference... focusing can be very very fast, but it does not mean its 100% accurate due to the physical distance alignment, might need tiny little adjustment to be 100% perfect, if u take out and put it back, might be off a tiny bit... the tray that holds the focusing screen does not always clip back into the exact same position all the time, a slight um off then its not 100% but good enough most of the time... i got it for my VT125 for faster focusing...

to add salt to ur injury :bsmilie: i have since remove it, its affecting the accuracy of my AF lenses sometimes, and i have live to use the normal focusing screen on manual lens as effective as with the katzeye one... now its siting in my storage box which im contemplating to sell it or not...

anyway since u order liao then use it lor... US economy needs a boost :)
Since u doing a review, do a nice write up like what u did on the Limiteds

Anyway next time its good to ask b4 pull you the trigger... we are all here to help one and other :)
Flowerpot, good to hear from you again. Thanks for sharing your experience on the Kateyez. You always seem to be able to get things at bargin prices. So resourceful. Thanks for your compliments on my write-up. Didn't know you read it. Ha.

Thanks for the elaboration! Much appreciated. (And I love lengthy write-ups!)

I bet you've swayed a few more fence sitters already; that was quite a heartfelt promotion of the K20D. And one I do believe - it's that much better in terms of image quality. I plan to upgrade one day, but how soon that will be depends partly on my finances and quite a lot on how much better I can see these improvements in my prints (ie. my needs).

Would like to know more, if anyone knows: Does the improved detail, colour fidelity and dynamic range translate to print, specifically 4R prints? That is, has anyone printed photos from K20D and compared to those from K100D or K10 and see distinct differences? (I'm assuming WB can be fixed in pp since I shoot RAW only, and that noise control in the K100D is on par with K20.)

If I print big, I'm sure I'll have jumped already. But for 4R, it seems kind of too small.

Oh. Yes, so I may not really need a K20, but I do WANT one. Hahaha!

I think I don't deserve my economics degree. I'll like to hand it back.(Not that I've been doing any work involving econs for eons anyway.)

If the world is in the throes of the worst economic crisis since forever (or the 1930s Great Depression, which is the same thing), how does it tally with Pentax (and other camera/lens) manufacturer increasing prices? Won't sales plummet to near zero? Shouldn't they drop prices instead to spur sales from people who have less budget now?

My head spins.

Status
Not open for further replies.