Spiral Staircase

cannedpineapples

Jul 25, 2011
20110807-0104.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, exposure

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Capture the beautiful spiral lines of this staircase

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
snapshot, street photography style

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i like the lines. But maybe not bright enough?

The bottom part is very interesting but you chose to chop it off. The person on the stairs is also very distracting.

A wider shot will work better here, showing more of the bright bottom. And wait for a moment when no one is on the stairwell.

I like the lines. But It'll be better if you can include more of where the lines converge or somehow converge.

Thanks for the comments. It's clear I need to do more reading on how to take these shots... I actually thought the picture worked because the guy on the right balanced the picture. But I definitely should have tried other approaches also, like getting more of the bottom. (I totally didn't notice that the bottom is interesting!)

You also have to consider what is the main subject. If the stairs attract you but you've placed more attention to the (brighter lit) bottom then the stairs become secondary. This is what happens when an impromptu shoot occurs and you do not do any extra lighting.
I can also say the bottom is too distracting and garners attention from the clean stairs.

There are some interior photos with a slightly blurred person to represent a lived -in space. A lady is normally used and not a middle aged uncle so choose your timing wisely. Hah.

Thanks for the comments. It's clear I need to do more reading on how to take these shots... I actually thought the picture worked because the guy on the right balanced the picture. But I definitely should have tried other approaches also, like getting more of the bottom. (I totally didn't notice that the bottom is interesting!)

You can add in the guy, but not with part of the head cut off. Details on what gets cut off in a pic are important. It differentiates a well thought pic from a normal snapshot.

The bottom part is very interesting but you chose to chop it off. The person on the stairs is also very distracting.

- For me, adding the bottom part would shift the attention to that section instead of the spiral stairs.

- The guy has filled in the spiral stairs but if his photo was sharp, it would become too much of distraction. Now it merely shows the movement (i.e. the purpose of the stairs).

- For me, adding the bottom part would shift the attention to that section instead of the spiral stairs.

- The guy has filled in the spiral stairs but if his photo was sharp, it would become too much of distraction. Now it merely shows the movement (i.e. the purpose of the stairs).

A spiral without the bottom, would mean it is no longer a spiral. It will be just an arc with no lead into the picture. This particular human subject, blur or sharp, would still be a distraction, as the subject is leading out of the right side of the picture. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

There is no spiral in this photo named "Spiral Staircase". 'nuff said.

To me this is clearly a snapshot. No planning, no thinking. Just see, think of a title and snap. Didn't even bother to wait till the man leaves the frame.

Thanks for your suggestion! In fact, though, I exactly thought that the man on the right balanced the composition of the picture. But as Foxtwo mentioned, I should have waited for a lady instead. :)

There are indeed three elements in this picture. Stairs, lights, and person. My aim was to capture the lines coming from the bottom adding strength to the picture, which unfortunately left the distraction of the lights in there. I could have cut out the bottom entirely, or I could have used daredevil123's idea of using a wide angle and keeping more of the bottom in to complete the composition.

I'll try this shot again soon with a wide angle at the same location. I'll also try some with people, and some without. Thanks again for your comments :)

To me this is clearly a snapshot. No planning, no thinking. Just see, think of a title and snap. Didn't even bother to wait till the man leaves the frame.

So harsh much!? How do you know that. Did not bother to wait until the man leaves??!! Obviously he bothered a lot to put him inside the frame.

So harsh much!? How do you know that. Did not bother to wait until the man leaves??!! Obviously he bothered a lot to put him inside the frame.

If there was planning done in the head, one would still be able to catch the man at the correct spot, not squeezed to the very end. When he places a man at such a position in the frame, it leads the viewer to think this is an accidental inclusion than a deliberate inclusion. So while the photographer did intended to include the man, it doesnt mean he planned.

Once the framing is done, one will lock his mind on the spot where he wants the person to be seen in his final image. My question then is, do you think cannedpineapples intended the man there?

If there was planning done in the head, one would still be able to catch the man at the correct spot, not squeezed to the very end. When he places a man at such a position in the frame, it leads the viewer to think this is an accidental inclusion than a deliberate inclusion. So while the photographer did intended to include the man, it doesnt mean he planned.

Once the framing is done, one will lock his mind on the spot where he wants the person to be seen in his final image. My question then is, do you think cannedpineapples intended the man there?

Thanks for your help- do you have any suggestions on where would have been a better place to put the person? I thought I was 'filling the frame' rather than 'squeezing him to the end', actually...

Thanks for your help- do you have any suggestions on where would have been a better place to put the person? I thought I was 'filling the frame' rather than 'squeezing him to the end', actually...

You could let the lady (as suggested, rather than a man) walk across the top right third of the frame. That's just what I would suggest, but finally its still up to you how you want your image to be. Give it a try, maybe u need a wider lens for this. For me, I still prefer to capture a spiral stairs as it is, as it attracts me more than a man going down a stairs which is what a stairs is essentially for. The structure of the stairs would be my main focus. Other than that, lighting-wise it seems pretty decent, so I wouldn't see a need to include anything else. Might be boring to some. Idk.

If u see the Spiral stair case shot in yesterday Canon Photomarathon. U will have better understanding on how to tale this shot. It was amazing nice and was shot in Suntec.

Thanks Moving Chair- I'll try to keep the lady in the top right third. I don't like taking landscape pictures, and so 'just stairs' would be something that doesn't appeal to me. I guess it's personal preference.

MamboJambo, where can I find this spiral stair case shot online? Would love to take a look :)

Thanks siamak :) That was my intention, you're right. I guess everyone has different opinions about how to take a photo, but when we put our work up in the Critique section, gotta be ready for all sorts of comments- especially negative ones!