crystal1993

Aug 16, 2010
Japan, Tokyo
5478583185_4c656184e3_z.jpg

5478583885_b42c4b4e59_z.jpg

5478585655_bda7f5c064_z.jpg

5479185044_cc2f00a41e_z.jpg

All critiques are welcome. :)

crystal, what flash output setting did you set when you took the pics? they seem a tad dark. can also see shadow of the insect. next macro session, try to increase the flash output above that of your last setting. then, look at your diffuser. move it further away from the flash (if possible) and put it as close as possible near the front of the lens. :)

Nice series Crystal, you are getting good mileage from your new lens! :)

Crystal, good catch for the day.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

From your pic can tell that your flash coming from your hot shoe or built it flash,
very directional & harsh. Maybe you can explore off shoe flash, that way you can
place the flash close to your subject with minimum flash power or like b-setting bros
mention, probably you need to diffuse more of your flash.

Care to share your setting so that other CSer can help you to improve.;)

crystal, what flash output setting did you set when you took the pics? they seem a tad dark. can also see shadow of the insect. next macro session, try to increase the flash output above that of your last setting. then, look at your diffuser. move it further away from the flash (if possible) and put it as close as possible near the front of the lens. :)

I put it ETTL 24m if i'm not wrong. Can't really remember. Damn it's dark? On my screen it looks fine. I could be wrong though, my screen calibration might be off. Yeah i believe a little shadow is fine. Afterall which living things doesn't cast a shadow? :bsmilie:

From your pic can tell that your flash coming from your hot shoe or built it flash,
very directional & harsh. Maybe you can explore off shoe flash, that way you can
place the flash close to your subject with minimum flash power or like b-setting bros
mention, probably you need to diffuse more of your flash.

Care to share your setting so that other CSer can help you to improve.;)

F11 1/200

thnks for reply. yes, the shadow is not a big issue.

but next time, try to set flash to manual? when in manual mode, do trial and error to see whether 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 or even FULL output gives you the best lighting. is it true like bro koh said, you mounted the flash on the hotshoe of the camera body? :)

my guess only hor: when you set your flash to ETTL 24mm, the flash distributed light over a wide angle, instead of concentrating the light forward towards the front of the lens. so, even if you intend to continue to use ETTL mode, try to change the flash zoom setting to 70mm or 85mm?

sorry for being long-winded... :))

thnks for reply. yes, the shadow is not a big issue.

but next time, try to set flash to manual? when in manual mode, do trial and error to see whether 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 or even FULL output gives you the best lighting. is it true like bro koh said, you mounted the flash on the hotshoe of the camera body? :)

my guess only hor: when you set your flash to ETTL 24mm, the flash distributed light over a wide angle, instead of concentrating the light forward towards the front of the lens. so, even if you intend to continue to use ETTL mode, try to change the flash zoom setting to 70mm or 85mm?

sorry for being long-winded... :))

No worries no worries. Need to learn also mah. =p Thanks for the feedback. Will try manual mode the next time. Yes my flash is mounted on to my cam. Ha ha.

I put it ETTL 24m if i'm not wrong. Can't really remember. Damn it's dark? On my screen it looks fine. I could be wrong though, my screen calibration might be off. Yeah i believe a little shadow is fine. Afterall which living things doesn't cast a shadow? :bsmilie:

F11 1/200

May I suggest you to lower down your shutter speed to the extend that you feel
the subject is still sharp (probably around 1/100sec) with aperture f/11 and
manually play around with your flash setting, say maybe 1/2 or 1/4 power?:dunno:

Continue to explore ways to diffuse if that doesn't work, coz I do see some bros
around here using 1/200sec with full flash but they diffuse well, so the end result
looks promising.

Hi Crystal, may be you can try putting a diffuser on the front and top part of your lens? This would definitely cut down harsh shadow. Other than that your shots are very good.

To use 1/200s, your flash should be powerful enough, or the diffuser close enough to your subject. b-setting has all the suggestions u can follow :)

May I suggest you to lower down your shutter speed to the extend that you feel
the subject is still sharp (probably around 1/100sec) with aperture f/11 and
manually play around with your flash setting, say maybe 1/2 or 1/4 power?:dunno:

Continue to explore ways to diffuse if that doesn't work, coz I do see some bros
around here using 1/200sec with full flash but they diffuse well, so the end result
looks promising.

Hi Crystal, may be you can try putting a diffuser on the front and top part of your lens? This would definitely cut down harsh shadow. Other than that your shots are very good.

To use 1/200s, your flash should be powerful enough, or the diffuser close enough to your subject. b-setting has all the suggestions u can follow :)

Thanks all for the suggestions. Victor, i'm using adrian's old diffuser mounted on my lens.

Sis crystal, I also find it a bit dark lo. Maybe u should try use Manuel for flash, or use low f-stop or other thing. Maybe u can try ask Jacobs because he using same flash with u.

Sis crystal, I also find it a bit dark lo. Maybe u should try use Manuel for flash, or use low f-stop or other thing. Maybe u can try ask Jacobs because he using same flash with u.

Sorry but just to clarify is all the pictures dark or only the lynx spider and shield bug one?

Good try. 1,3 and 4 are under. If u dun wan shadows on the subject then try to be as parallel as possible to the subject. Hope it helps