Speedlite focus assist beam.

xluffyzx

Sep 1, 2015
Singapore
Hi,

Recently just brought a Yongnuo speedlite YN568ex II. I have notice that the focus assist beam is not alighted in the center. Is it normal?

It depends how much off-centre you are experiencing. There will be some amount of off-set as parallax error is present because the lens and the IR beam is not co-located but one seated above the other by a few centimetres.

It should not be a concern as the beam pattern is quite wide and all it needs is for the focusing points in the camera to detect the pattern or the lighted area. You should be able to see the beam pattern through the viewfinder if you 'half-pressed' the shutter button in a dark room. The off-set will be particular obvious at close focussing distance as the beam pattern is smaller and the parallax error is at it worst.

If the beam pattern is alignment is very bad, you may need to send it in for adjustment.

It depends how much off-centre you are experiencing. There will be some amount of off-set as parallax error is present because the lens and the IR beam is not co-located but one seated above the other by a few centimetres.

It should not be a concern as the beam pattern is quite wide and all it needs is for the focusing points in the camera to detect the pattern or the lighted area. You should be able to see the beam pattern through the viewfinder if you 'half-pressed' the shutter button in a dark room. The off-set will be particular obvious at close focussing distance as the beam pattern is smaller and the parallax error is at it worst.

If the beam pattern is alignment is very bad, you may need to send it in for adjustment.

Thanks for your reply! I guess I have to send it back as the beam is way off to the right.