Speed up RAW Conversion workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel binaries are fast (on par or better) than their PPC counterpact on the Intel test box.

oeyvind said:
Intel binaries are fast (on par or better) than their PPC counterpact on the Intel test box.

No doubt about that. However, Intel CPU and PPC are of very different architecture. One can't even compare their clock speed meaningfully. The reason for Apple to switch to Intel chip is more for viability rather than performance per se. (and this is not the very first time Apple switching CPU).

allegro

Think that until Mac officially announces MacIntel, no respectable site would release thorough tests and comparisions, only previews and hints of what might come... even if they have hacked versions of it running, they can't very well give you the results as they are hacked, i.e. illegal, versions of the software... so at most we can merely speculate on the possibilities...

for the interested though, can always tune in to various sites that provide info on "efforts in the direction of merging Mac software and Intel hardware"...

Allegro said:
No doubt about that. However, Intel CPU and PPC are of very different architecture. One can't even compare their clock speed meaningfully. The reason for Apple to switch to Intel chip is more for viability rather than performance per se. (and this is not the very first time Apple switching CPU).

allegro

However, the article states in the conslusion that the speed of the application is poor, but their testing method leaves more to be desired.

Allegro said:
let's not get confused between rumours and facts. :)

Everything at this stage is obviously going to be hearsay until official benchmarks come out. I don't think anyone will be so naive to think otherwise.

But I believe Apple will not have officially announced the switch unless running on Intel is viable, running at least as fast as on PPC. No one will buy machines slower than their predecessors. At least I know I won't. :)

I'm one of those holding out, wait for the Intel-based Macs to come out, wait for reviews and comparisons, then decide.

melnjes said:
I'm one of those holding out, wait for the Intel-based Macs to come out, wait for reviews and comparisons, then decide.
who knows, they might even have osX86 for retail sale...

Guys, latest news!

Check out www.apple.com . Up to 4x faster than the G4 powerbook

melnjes said:
Guys, latest news!

Check out www.apple.com . Up to 4x faster than the G4 powerbook
considering Intel Core Duo is less than twice faster than previous Centrinos... and they don't even use the fastest Core Duos... :think:

KeN said:
Hi there,

Anyone could enlighten me on the above before I make any necessary upgrades to my digital workflow?

All the above for $1.7k

Is this worth it? Or should I get something else? Please help!!

KeN
Get a Nikon D70s Kit. JPG outputs are useable. I don't know about Canon's.. if it's good enough what was your motivation to shoot RAW?

Status
Not open for further replies.