Speed of life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

food4thought

Jul 29, 2009
Hi all, this is my first ever attempt on panning shots. This shot was taken at night, hand held with Nikon D80, 50mm f/1.8 lens. The settings while taking this shot was, M mode, Shutter speed 1/15, f 1.8, exposure +5

Panning11-1.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

I would like to sought comments on the technique, camera settings, Lens selection for such panning shots, as well as the post processing. Basically, areas for improvement;)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I would like to create a sense of speed and the notion of leading the fast life with the use of panning shots. Highlighting on the motion of the car and the driver through the panning effect.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

After reading up on how to do panning shots I went back home took my camera and headed downstairs to try the new found technique. This shot was taken around 10pm one night at a corner near my block. I stood at the pavement facing the oncoming traffic coming out of a left turn corner. I figured that most cars would ease of during the corner and hence a comfortable speed for my first attempt. This shot was taken hand held at the above mentioned settings

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think the composition and timing of the shot was rather good (IMHO), considering this being my virgin panning shot taken at night.. I read that panning shots are not meant to produce pin point sharp subjects, but rather reasonably sharp subjects. I am quite happy with the shot. I know that this is not an outstanding shot! I just hope this is a good starting point for me to improve. I would like to know how and what I can improve on. I am also not sure if the post processing has been overdone (Also new to photoshop).:) C&C much appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.