speed detector s/w

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
Wondering there are such s/w for phone so that if the car is speeding, it will capture the car photo n send to lta? Heh heh!

Wondering there are such s/w for phone so that if the car is speeding, it will capture the car photo n send to lta? Heh heh!

No because the speed cameras rely on accurate radar or laser data to compute speed. If it's *your* phone and *you* are driving you can create an app that uses gps data to estimate your speed then self-report to LTA. ;-)

Actually it's possible without radar nor laser, but obviously it's not accurate. Using Optical Recognition to recognize features of a car and measure the distance between 2 fixed features such as the 2 back lights and then over time measure the changes, as the car move nearer or away, the features distance between each other will be different. All it takes is some triangulation theory to figure out the distance covered by the car per unit time and there you got the velocity :)

But like I say it's inaccurate when the car started off pretty far away, because the changes observed will be little :)
Nevermind it's just a creative thought, nothing that will supersed an accurate sonar or laser :)

not easy , image processing is maybe still too intensive for mobile phone to do.

Using 1/9 rules. The phone divide into 9 sections. At 3rd box to 5th box, a calculation of speed been added. Example like less than 1 sec is over 60km/hr while 2 secs is 50km/hr or less. So, at box 7, the photo is captured. With data of the speed, it be send to lta.

I comes out with this idea as I saw at a coming fast at me while at my estate. Obviously, he is not travelling at safety speed n what if a child runs across the road? I also notice my area also having a lot of cars speeding n beats red light too. Accident waiting to be happen.

we already have a problem of useless vigilantes because of Stomp!.

please STAHP all this rubbish.

Whether moving or stationary, use video.
I wish you success in reducing the number of speedster. :)